abdominal binder??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

abdominal binder??? abdominal binder???

Unread 05-19-2011, 02:33 PM
abdominal binder???

For those of you that has already been to the castle. Is it worth the money to buy a swelly belly band or the one you put ice packs in for robotic vag assisted hyster??? I'm debating if I should buy one or not. I'm not going to be cut except for the robotic holes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-19-2011, 03:08 PM
Re: abdominal binder???

I have had two surgeries. One was a large incision in 2007 and then the rob vag assisted hyst. I did not use an abdominal binder for either. I have a large cold/hot gel pack that I use occassionally. I have been fortunate to not have major swelly belly from the hyst. I find it more comfortable to not have anything pressing on my incisions. Your incisiosn will be along you belly button height. I bought granny panties but do not wear them because the waist band hits right where my incisisons are. I just wear my regular Hanes boy shorts.

Good luck to you
Unread 05-19-2011, 04:42 PM

I bought the abdominal pocket binder and used it the first day home and that was it. I personally found that, as stated above, I did not like anything too tight on my belly at first. I also found the area covered by the cool pack to be too small for me since I have three incisions spaced apart. I used, instead, a large ice pack thingy that goes in the freezer from one of our old coolers. It covers the whole area I need covered, stays cold longer, and doesn't put pressure on my incisions. The downside to that, however, is that it is not secured in any way and I can't use it when I walk around at all. Hope this helps you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-19-2011, 05:01 PM

I didn't use one at all. I found that I much preferred just holding a firm, flat pillow across my belly.
Unread 05-19-2011, 05:05 PM

My hospital gave me one, but I only used it for about 4-5 days.
Unread 05-19-2011, 05:06 PM

I had to send DH out for an ab binder the day after I got home (day 5) but yet I had a very difficult TAH with a huge incision so my situation was different. I loved wearing it when walking, etc, just for extra support.
Unread 05-19-2011, 05:09 PM

Agree with Carebear. I had one and LOVED it. I actually wished I had one for each of my surgeries prior to the hyst. It really does help with walking, etc. Also, I recommend the swelling belling band. I used both at the same time, which helped the swelling significantly.
Unread 05-19-2011, 08:56 PM

I'm a PRO--
I had the DaVinci procedure and I liked having the binder for belly support. Guess I always felt like I needed to "hold on" to my stomach and it did it for me. I used it while up walking around and felt much more supported.
I did purchase the one with hot/cold packs and used the cold packs frequently. It was really more for the swollen feeling in the belly than for the very small incisions.
Best wishes to you!
Unread 05-19-2011, 09:32 PM

I think you are going to find a wide variety of answers here as each will be according to personal comfort and preference. I had a da vinci procedure 1 week ago and have not used any type of binder. I have utilized my pillow pet often for support when sleeping, when coughing, and when sitting to make sure my fur babies (cats) do not jump on me.
Being a nurse who has taken care of multiple post op patients with abdominal surgeries of various types, some patients swear by the binders and others absolutely hate them. In your case, I would advise finding out for yourself. If you have insurance, ask for a binder while you are in the hospital post op. It will be charged to your bill and covered by the insurance. It will not, however, have the additional option of a cold pack which is available from the store on this site and cold does help a lot with inflamation after surgery.
I guess I probably haven't been really helpful in answering your question, but as you have already seen from the previous responses, everyone has a different opinion about them and you will most likely have to depend on your own feelings after surgery. Wishing you the best.
Unread 05-19-2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katina View Post
For those of you that has already been to the castle. Is it worth the money to buy a swelly belly band or the one you put ice packs in for robotic vag assisted hyster??? I'm debating if I should buy one or not. I'm not going to be cut except for the robotic holes.
I think it is individual preference. You will need ice packs on your tummy for pain and swelling - that is a given. But I chose not to use and abdominal binder because my abdominal incision felt like a clydesdale horse had kicked me in the stomach and it itched really bad. Early on when I would turn over in bed it felt like my entrails were rearranging themselves. Worst problem was having phantom cramps in my phantom uterus when I did too much. Still have to be careful of that! If you are having a vaginal hysterectomy, maybe you should get one because you'll be on your feet sooner that us TAH/SAH women! Good healing!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register