8 months post hysterectomy: More bowel movements every day | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > Hysteritaville General Discussions

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

8 months post hysterectomy: More bowel movements every day 8 months post hysterectomy: More bowel movements every day

Unread 09-15-2021, 03:12 PM
8 months post hysterectomy: More bowel movements every day

Has anyone else experienced more bowel movements per day than they used to have before surgery? No diarrhea or pain but 3-6 bowel movements every day (surgery 8 months ago). What happens to our bowels when we go through robotic laparoscopic surgery like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-16-2021, 09:39 AM
Re: 8 months post hysterectomy: More bowel movements every day

This surgery can disrupt the digestive system - all the trauma happens right in the same area, plus the gut flora have been thrown out of whack. What was the reason for your surgery? I had fibroids, and for me, I had more watery, gotta-go-now BMs prior to surgery (I think the fibroids were squishing my insides!) than I do now, but I've read posts from others who have more free moving BMs after surgery.

There's no definitive number which means "frequent" BMs, for normal can be 3x a day to 3x a week, per Mayo and other resources. Mayo suggests to see your doctor if more-frequent bowel movements are also accompanied by changes in the consistency, volume or appearance of your bowel movements (such as repeatedly passing narrow, ribbonlike stools or loose, watery stools), abdominal pain or passing blood or mucus. You don't mention those, so it could be something in your diet.

Do you get enough fiber? That can help add bulk and also draws water for more formed BMs. How about probiotics? They can rebalance the gut flora. Finally, have you run it by your GP or a gastroenterologist?

Unread 09-17-2021, 04:59 AM

Have you recently made any changes to your diet? If you've been eating more seasonal fruits like apples, pears, peaches, plums, nectarines, or cherries, those foods are high in sugar alcohols, whose stimulatory effect can cause more frequent bowel movements; if you've also been eating more sugar-free foods, sugar alcohols are commonly used as sweeteners in these foods - check the ingredients list for pear juice, or anything ending in itol. Keeping a food/symptom diary can help you to identify which of these foods might be contributing to this, so you can make changes accordingly. Filling up on soluble fiber from bananas, blueberries, oatmeal, and psyllium or chia seeds can help to produce firmer bowel movements by absorbing excess water. Best wishes for beating this soon, and for your continued health!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-21-2021, 04:46 PM

Yes! Before my surgery I was extremely regular, morning only, one time per day. Now it's inconsistent and is usually a couple times per day, later in the morning, even sometimes in the afternoon. No change to diet. Total bummer. Surgery was 7.5 months ago.
Unread 09-21-2021, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocodile235 View Post
Yes! Before my surgery I was extremely regular, morning only, one time per day. Now it's inconsistent and is usually a couple times per day, later in the morning, even sometimes in the afternoon. No change to diet. Total bummer. Surgery was 7.5 months ago.
Yes! Same! Any time of day-mostly morning but evening too. No change in diet. Started happening right after surgery. Do you have a little swelly lower abdomen sometimes, too?
Unread 09-21-2021, 05:23 PM

Yeah I do. I had a really difficult recovery and I was in a lot of pain and discomfort, plus swelling, for at least four months, and didn't feel "healed" until over five months. I got a second opinion and had a CT scan and it showed that everything was normal, no bowel issues, nothing else of concern--I was just the weirdo who had a way harder time than anyone else in my surgeon's practice ever had. Even now at over seven months I still feel a little achy after sitting in a chair at work all day, and I still get some swelling off and on.
Unread 09-21-2021, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocodile235 View Post
Yeah I do. I had a really difficult recovery and I was in a lot of pain and discomfort, plus swelling, for at least four months, and didn't feel "healed" until over five months. I got a second opinion and had a CT scan and it showed that everything was normal, no bowel issues, nothing else of concern--I was just the weirdo who had a way harder time than anyone else in my surgeon's practice ever had. Even now at over seven months I still feel a little achy after sitting in a chair at work all day, and I still get some swelling off and on.
You are not a weirdo!!! I am not only experiencing the same thing but I to did not feel fully healed until 11 months post op(Physically as far as pain goes) I still get tired easily after running or working out. My children were 3&4 when I had mine done and it was not easy to properly rest even tho I had help. I regret not getting the rest I need the first crucial weeks. Remember to love yourself and be kind to your body. What we had done was major! Our bodies will never be the same again. Sending healing energy your way. Xo
Unread 09-22-2021, 09:56 AM

Thank you so much! It's good to be reminded that other women take longer to heal, that everyone is different and reacts to this differently.
Unread 09-26-2021, 06:51 AM

Oh yes. I can’t stop going. Everywhere I go I drop a little bit. It never stops. 4 months post op.I don’t know when I’ll have to or need to go go straight away.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register