SCARED: Hysterectomy next month (2/2) for rapidly growing fibroids. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

SCARED: Hysterectomy next month (2/2) for rapidly growing fibroids. SCARED: Hysterectomy next month (2/2) for rapidly growing fibroids.

Unread 01-04-2021, 05:18 PM
SCARED: Hysterectomy next month (2/2) for rapidly growing fibroids.

I was meant to have my hysterectomy in May. Then July. Then I backed out at the last minute because it was so hard to be alone at the hospital because of covid.

I went for a second opinion and found a great surgeon who said I was a good candidate for laparoscopic despite the size of the fibroids. I went for a new MRI to check before my next law school semester.

Well they've grown several centimeters in the past year and she's a lot more concerned now and wants me to do the surgery asap. There is a small concern of cancer because of growth rate but I'm trying not to worry because this isn't my first rapidly growing fibroid and the last was benign and I know this type of cancer is very rare. But it making her pause about laparoscopic. She'll go over everything with her radiologist and colleagues.

But, I'm so so scared. I'll take the semester of from school which isn't horrible because pandemic law school has been really hard. But I hate that the pandemic is still raging and I'll have to be dropped off alone. Ughhhh.

Anyone with super big, fast growing fibroids who can offer some reassurance? Thank you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2021, 07:42 PM
Re: SCARED: Hysterectomy next month for rapidly growing fibroids.

Hey ErinKC- I didn't have rapid fibroid, but I had a mess of other problems. I went into the ER eith extreme pain on my right side. (shortcut) they found about 15 lbs of blood in my culdasac and abdominal, along with abnormal growths on my hips. I was sent for a nuclear full body scan, abdominal and reproductive abstract MRI, multiple blood work ups, mammogram all within 2 weeks time. They were making sure I didn't have breast cancer or ovarian cancer. They found massive amounts of endometriosis, incasing my right ovary. They could have gotten me into the surgeon within another 2 weeks, but I freaked out. I chose Oct 29th. By this time, I had been taking Xanax and a lot of ibuprofen, which made me so angry at myself, for not dealing with it all better.
I was dropped off by my husband and they didn't even let him go up with me to sign in. Luckily, they had a cancelation so, they prepped me and I was in surgery within 15-20 min (surgery was 3.5 hrs) I was so scared to be there alone. I didn't even get to see him or our kids during visiting hours bc they had to keep me in recovery for over 8 hrs. So we used Duo. I was really out of it still.
I am so sorry your overwhelmed. Just talk to your surgeon about everything your feeling, it may help in what they (her team) decides to do for you.
I was lucky, my surgeon is extremely compassionate, but he has been performing these surgeries for over 25 years.
Good luck, keep us posted. Hopefully there is another soul that can help you more than I could. Just know I am here for you!
Jules
Unread 01-04-2021, 08:36 PM

Thank you for your response! I really am so overwhelmed by everything that's happened this past year. It's a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2021, 08:48 PM

Hi erinkc -

All of your feelings, fears, emotions and anxieties are completely normal. This is one tough surgery to face and digest.

I had a fast growing complex ovarian cyst (12x9x11 cm), as well as numerous fibroids. I also had a cancer concern, and my surgeon was a gyn onc. My surgery was a total abdominal hysterectomy with a 6-inch vertical incision, with both tubes and ovaries being removed. My surgeon wanted to removed everything safely, and take a good look at all of my surrounding organs. That sounded fine to me. All was tested in the OR and all was benign. If it had been positive, then he would of taken more tissue for testing.

I am so grateful for my gyn onc. He did a fantastic job. And if cancer had been found, he was the best one to take the next steps.

It is hard to have something growing inside of you and not know. I know this is easier said than done, but do not get ahead of your diagnosis. Take this one step at a time, one day at a time.

Just know that you are not alone in any of this. We will be by your side throughout this process.

Unread 01-04-2021, 09:17 PM

I "think" my fibroids were rapidly growing. They were very large by the time I had my surgery, to the point that my doctor had to do abdominal. I know they were minor in 2015 and very large in 2019.

My boyfriend and sister were there when I went to the hospital for about 20 mins, but then I was taken in back for surgery. When I came out of it, I kept telling my boyfriend to not visit as I wasn't feeling that great and just wanted to rest. He did stop by but I really wanted to just sleep. My sister showed up that night and I kept falling asleep and forgetting she was there and would wake up and asked her how she got there like 4 times.

What I'm trying to say is I would have been OK if they hadn't come by as I really just wanted to rest. I was out of the hospital after a day and a half (went in early Monday, out by Tuesday night) and just slept most of the time I was there. I watched some tv and posted on here that I'd made it! But mostly just slept!
Unread 01-05-2021, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinkc View Post
Thank you for your response! I really am so overwhelmed by everything that's happened this past year. It's a lot.
I went through my reports and I had fibroids, along with multiple cysts, endometriosis and adenomyosis. They had to take my appendix out as well, endometriosis got to it.
In situations like this, it feels like they are going to break us. This won't, it may feel like it is coming close, but it won't. You are obviously a very bright, strong, independent women. Just know, you have us here for when the independence part needs a hand to guide it for awhile.
Unread 01-05-2021, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaJL View Post
I went through my reports and I had fibroids, along with multiple cysts, endometriosis and adenomyosis. They had to take my appendix out as well, endometriosis got to it.
In situations like this, it feels like they are going to break us. This won't, it may feel like it is coming close, but it won't. You are obviously a very bright, strong, independent women. Just know, you have us here for when the independence part needs a hand to guide it for awhile.
Thank you so much for checking and coming back with this response. This response made me cry (in a good way). It really is so hard for me not to feel like I'm in control - it's the root of all my anxiety. So, I need to just try my best to put my trust in my surgeon and imaging a life free from all this pain and worry.
Unread 01-05-2021, 11:14 AM

Hi erinkc

I too had large fibroids and had a TAH in Oct. My fibroids were so large they caused a DVT which delayed my original planned surgery. I dreaded the surgery especially in these times, but after being diagnosed with the DVT I just wanted to get surgery
over with. I was alone in hospital for my 3 nights stay but the time passed quickly and I had super care. We are much stronger than we give ourselves credit for and you will get through this. Hugs
Unread 01-05-2021, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity_2 View Post
Hi erinkc

I too had large fibroids and had a TAH in Oct. My fibroids were so large they caused a DVT which delayed my original planned surgery. I dreaded the surgery especially in these times, but after being diagnosed with the DVT I just wanted to get surgery
over with. I was alone in hospital for my 3 nights stay but the time passed quickly and I had super care. We are much stronger than we give ourselves credit for and you will get through this. Hugs
I have such a fear of DVT! It's another major reason I want these out of me. I'm so glad you were able to get the surgery. How are you feeling now?
Unread 01-05-2021, 04:04 PM

I am feeling so much better. I have more energy and I am in a good place mentally . I m glad I had the surgery just wish I'd had it sooner. The support here has really helped.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register