Keeping Healthy Pre-Op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Keeping Healthy Pre-Op Keeping Healthy Pre-Op

Unread 03-20-2007, 07:18 PM
Keeping Healthy Pre-Op

Is anyone else having trouble keeping healthy prior to their operation? Have you found anything that helps?

I have a TAH scheduled for April 6 (due to cervical cancer) and am finding it hard not to get sick everytime the wind blows. I'm sick right now and I'm scared that I'll be sick before the operation and they'll cancel it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2007, 07:33 PM
Keeping Healthy Pre-Op

Cervical cancer here, too, and I also have a histoplasmosis infection or something in my chest, which means almost literally, every time the wind blows or somebody in my house brings something home, I get it. By the grace of God I managed to stay okay except for a slight cough and I go in tomorrow.

I know a lot of women who said a couple weeks prior to their date they were going to stay inside...I don't know if that is an option for you or not. In my "professional" opinion, I'd drink lots of water, take Vitamin C if the doc says it's okay and use hand purifiers, plus wash hands a lot. I don't know what else to tell you. Good luck. I know it's difficult, and stressful.
Unread 03-20-2007, 08:20 PM
Keeping Healthy Pre-Op

I had my TAH/BSO on 10/20 and on 10/11 came down with a stomach virus from going to a nursing home. I walked in the place and shold have turned around then. I smelled it in the air. Dang I got sick. I was so staying away from everyone too. My surgery was almost post poned but I stayed home and away from everyone. I recovered in time. Stay away from heavily populated places and schools etc. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2007, 09:00 PM
Keeping Healthy Pre-Op

I'm concerned about staying healthy too because I get a lot of sinus infections, which lead to drainage, which leads to coughing, etc. I felt one coming on last week so I started on Astelin nasal spray in addition to Nasacort which I was already on. I also started taking Liquibid-D capsules ... my PCP said to take that if I felt a sinus infection coming on (I think it thins the mucous).

I think I successfully avoided it, but today I had my pre-op testing, etc. at the hospital and the waiting room was filled with coughing people (all having surgery, go figure). I prayed for protection from the germs and didn't touch my face. I hit the nearest restroom on the way out ti wash my hands.

I though I was being overly paranoid ... I would like to stay out of public places until Monday, but my kids' schedule won't allow for that. I am trying to eat healthy foods and exercise every day. Hopefully that will help. I do not want this surgery postponed because I caught something!
Unread 03-20-2007, 09:11 PM
Keeping Healthy Pre-Op

Musicteacher I thought I was being overly paranoid too but you can't be too careful. Its too important to stay healthy before and after. All to scary. When I was in the hospital an elderly woman came in coughing, vomiting etc. I thought that I was going to freak out. I wanted out of there before I got it. Then 3 weeks later back in the hospital. Not just one hospital but 2 different ones and I just kept saying I want to go home I am going to get sick off of someone. I brought anti bacterial wipes with me. Tough time.
Unread 03-20-2007, 09:30 PM
Keeping Healthy Pre-Op

I KEEP a sinus infection and have a nasty one right now due to all of those pretty little bradford pear trees blooming. Also have the allergy cough, and had a wonderful asthma attack the other day, had to pull out my nebulizer, lol. So I am drinking plenty of fluids, using mucinex, and also drinking lots of ensure. I think I read somewhere on here that it's good not only for post op but for pre op too, it builds up the depleated vitamins and iron your body may loose. I went to the DR last night, and I have already lost 18 lbs since 2 weeks ago. I havent been able to eat anything and when I do it's hard to keep it down cause of my nerves. I found it is easier for me to keep down a can of ensure. So I will be saying a prayer for all of us to stay healthy and have uneventufl surgeries!! Hang in there ladies!! We'll make it through!!
Unread 03-20-2007, 09:40 PM
Keeping Healthy Pre-Op

I know there is a separate section for book recommendations, but I found this book invaluable for preparing myself for surgery, preventing infection and also recovery. Lots of nutrition advice etc. It also helped me feel I had a bit of control over healing and it educated me about the whole process.
The Rapid Recovery Handbook Your Complete Guide to Faster Healing After Surgery by Elizabeth Motyka, Tom Motyka and Mark Nathaniel Mead.

They recommend a "Power Drink" that you mix up like a smoothie too which is very nutritious especially for those days you don't feel like eating.

Hope it helps someone. Good luck and I hope you all stay healthy before during and after surgery.
MP.
Unread 03-20-2007, 09:42 PM
Keeping Healthy Pre-Op

Thank you all for your input. It feels good to know I'm not the only one. Sometimes I feel like a breeding ground for sickness.

I live in the Ohio Valley and sinuses here are a bear. I was on 2 different antibiotics one of them for a sinus infection...well to make a long story short due to those antibiotics I ended up with thrush (yeast infection in the mouth) that I'm on yet another medicine for. I am staying out of my kids' schools- but they have to go and always bring the germs home. My immune system has been down w/the cancer and all-- so outside of my bottle of hand sanitizer I feel helpless. I have been praying and I think I'll start with an extra C vitamin. I am thankful that the grocery stores now have the sanitize wipes located by the carts- I never go without wiping the handle bar down!

Keep the advice coming- sometimes what seems so common knowledge to one is brand new info to another!
Unread 03-20-2007, 10:07 PM
Keeping Healthy Pre-Op

I live 2 hours south of cincy. At Lake Cumberland. In the mountains of eastern KY, so we have lots and lots of things in bloom right now. I love this time of year, but my sinuses do not agree, lol. Another thing that has helped me sooth the beast is a hot toddy ( with or without the bourbon ) Hot water or tea, lemon juice, honey...my great grandma used to even throw in a pinch of ceyenne pepper to clear out the gunk. Also, a sea salt steam bath. Bring a pan of water to a rolling boil with lots of seas salt added, and drape your head over it covering with a towel, for added effects, add some vick vapor rub to the solution. If I think of anymore to add for sinuses and head colds I will post. Hope some of this helps.
Unread 03-21-2007, 09:53 AM
Keeping Healthy Pre-Op

Hii Ladies,
I had my TAH/BSO yesterday.( Hospital TV has internet built in!!) Anyhow, I battled a sore throat and sinus drainage last week. I mixed up equal parts red apple cider vinegar and local honey in a jar. I used one of those Nyquil medicine cups and took a couple Tablespoons of this mixture about 5 times a day. It is not the best tasting- but you get used to it. It killed the sore throat and cut down on the drainage in about 1 and 1/2 days. The vinegar kiils bacteria. When I get home I'll post my experiences at the castle. So far I'm doing great!!

Kathy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register