Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Feb 21, 2021 - Page 6 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Feb 21, 2021 Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Feb 21, 2021

Unread 02-21-2021, 02:37 PM
Re: Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Feb 21, 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssmith2993k View Post
Thank you, maybe you can suggest it, especially depending how you feel after the surgery.
Plus the fact that I am trying to avoid narcotics makes me feel even more nervous. If I dont feel ready to leave that evening, I will say so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2021, 02:40 PM
Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Feb 21, 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1970 View Post
Another question to my ladies-
I am being sent home from the hospital that afternoon. Is everyone staying at the hospital overnight?
I’m having mine done in a surgery center and will be leaving the same day. It’s attached to the hospital in case they need to keep me overnight, but that’s not the plan right now.
Unread 02-21-2021, 02:43 PM

Hey Ladies!

Thank you for so much great information! It's helped me to prepare and feel more confident about getting through.

I'm concerned that I haven't heard from the hospital yet but the Doc's office said they'd call by tomorrow. Wish They'd call with a bit more advance notice.

My surgery is Tuesday and, funny thing, I just found out one of my dear friends is having same surgery on the same day! Bummer that were is different states! I told her about hystersysters and hope to see her here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2021, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechos37 View Post
I’m having mine done in a surgery center and will be leaving the same day. It’s attached to the hospital in case they need to keep me overnight, but that’s not the plan right now.
Yes, mine is at the hospital too.This going home that day stuff is kinda freaky, but I assume you're having a less invasive procedure like me.
Unread 02-21-2021, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phallin View Post
My surgery is 2/23 and I’m freaking.

I see so many mixed reviews that it’s hard for me to not run through all the “what-if’s” mentally.

I’m getting a total vaginal hysterectomy, so cervix and uterus,, my tubes are already gone and I’m keeping both ovaries..

Anyone who has had a vaginal, PLEASE tell me how your recovery was??? Some posts were comparing a hysterectomy to a csection, and I’m hoping that it’s easier than my csection.

Good luck to everyone.
Hoping for the best,
I want the dream come true—I’d love to be able to come back here and share the easy surgery, quick recovery, best decision ever type of story

Phallin. I know it’s hard not to think of the what-ifs ... I’m sure you have probably read quite a few posts. I have learned over the years that those who are having more trouble post more. Those who don’t have trouble far out weigh those who do.

My surgery was a DvTH (the robot laparoscopy). Laparoscopic is still major surgery because they are doing the same things on the inside. It is different from a C-section. It’s not abdominal ... they are removing the uterus, etc. but not opening up the uterus and stitching it up.

My recovery went well. You will have vaginal soreness/pain and some swelling. (Icepacks are wonderful ... I wet pads and froze them.). Be sure to follow your post op restrictions ... no pushing no pulling, no bending, and no lifting over a gallon of milk. They are there to help you recover well the first time.

on your surgery dear ... remember we are here for you.
Unread 02-21-2021, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyC69 View Post
Hey Ladies!

Thank you for so much great information! It's helped me to prepare and feel more confident about getting through.

My surgery is Tuesday and, funny thing, I just found out one of my dear friends is having same surgery on the same day! Bummer that were is different states! I told her about hystersysters and hope to see her here!
Hope to see her on here too!
Good luck with your surgery!
Unread 02-21-2021, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1970 View Post
Hello, I am having a my procedure on 2/26, provided I pass the pre op covid test tomorrow.
After many years of trying alternative methods for heavy bleeding, pelvic pain, and multiple fibroids-
I am having a robotic removal of uterus, cervix and fallopian tubes.
Is anyone else having to pass a covid test just days before their scheduled procedure? I understand all the reasons why they are doing this. However, a lot of planning goes into having a surgery, and it seems to be all riding on tomorrows test.
I'm also attempting to do my surgery without narcotics, so I am very nervous. Nervous about a lot today. Now I am even fretting about insurance covering this. I'm telling you ladies- I am all over the map!
I'm reading all the posts,sending everyone best wishes, and its nice to know were all in this together.

Yep, I had to take a COVID test pre-op.
Unread 02-21-2021, 02:57 PM

I have a question:

I have three steps into my RV - it is going to be super painful to go up and down stairs? I don't plan to leave the RV for the first few days, just walking the inside.
Unread 02-21-2021, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvdinnc View Post
Yes, I had periods consistently on mirena and had breakthrough bleeding most of the rest of the time. But it was better than not being on it. Here's to a new, better chapter ahead! Thinking of you and your fellow Texans... I know it's not easy right now. All the best!
Yep, mirena sucks. Mine will be removed during surgery as the strings have gone missing...can't wait for this to be done!
Unread 02-21-2021, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVRH View Post
Hi everyone!

My surgery is Wednesday. I feel somewhat unprepared, as due to the weather (I'm in Texas) my pre-op appointment with the surgeon was cancelled. I did my pre admit visit, where they confirmed that I'm not pregnant (never have been), my blood type (hasn't changed), and the basic metabolic panel.

I've had menstrual issues for years, and was close to getting a hysterectomy about 11 years ago. That was where it was headed, anyway. I delayed by getting the Mirena, twice. Unfortunately, even Mirena was causing issues. Turns out my system was trying to expel the IUD, so it came out in 2/20. For 3 months afterwards, I had "normal" periods. Then came the neverending period. I finally got into the ob/gyn in mid-October, and I've been waiting for my hysterectomy ever since. The hospitalization rate was too high, until late January.

Now it's coming close and I'm a bit anxious that I have not prepared for everything. I love how the prep instructions from the hospital assume that people have clean sheets for 2 nights in a row, much less clean towels. I live in an RV - I have exactly 2 sets of sheets, and 4 towels total for 2 people.
RVRH ... we’re so glad to have you with us dear. I can’t imagine being in Texas right now ... I grew up in Michigan but never experienced what y’all are there. I’ve been praying so much for that area.

You are right ... the hospitals do assume that everyone has more than 2 sets of sheets and and towels. Be sure to have the ones not on your bed clean, along with 2 towels you are not using. I recommend getting some pads for your bed similar to the ones used in the hospital. Even though you won’t have another set of sheets, you can change the pads and have a sterile area to sleep on.

Best wishes on your surgery dear.
Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register