surgical menopause or ordinary depression? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Natural Meno Post Hysterectomy - Kept Ovaries

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

surgical menopause or ordinary depression? surgical menopause or ordinary depression?

Unread 10-21-2006, 05:51 AM
surgical menopause or ordinary depression?

I had a hysterectomy in nov 2004 and had one ovary removed.since then i have felt really anxious, hot, confused, irritable and exhausted.I have had lots of hormonal blood tests at the doctors but she says im not going through the menopause yet.I am also going through quite a stressful time with a divorce and other domestic problems and she says its ordinary stress and depression, and has prescribed me antidepressants.I am signed off work for another 2 weeks now cos i cna't stop crying.has anyone else had normal blood tests yet been prescribed hrt cos i think i need it badly!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-21-2006, 10:52 AM

I am sorry you are struggling so much! I understand how you feel! I was just going to post a thread myself titled something like "hormones or depression". My situation is different as I had both ovaries removed and am currently on hrt, but I too am going through a stressful time in life and sometimes it is hard to differentiate whether my constant crying and extreme irritability is part of the depression (which I have a long history of by the way) or a result of hormonal imbalance/surgical menopause even on hrt or a bit of both. All I know is that working like this is no picnic! You have my uttermost empathy!

Your feeling hot and confused would indicate to me that hormones are involved, but I am not a doctor by any means. Looking at your past threads, it seems like you have been feeling this way for some time? Have you ever seen the following list of symptoms of estrogen/progesterone/testosterone deficiency and excess?
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/hsarticle.php?id=97238
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/view_menopause.htm

Do several or more of these symptoms match you? If I were in your situation, I would seek out several different doctor's opinions. You do not have to immediately accept a diagnosis of depression if you are not sure. Maybe print off the lists and check off the symptoms you are having and bring them to your appointments to discuss with the doctor. Ask him/her to explain what other problems may specifically cause these symptoms and why. I know with my brain fog I have to write things down and bring lists or I end up leaving out small but important details of my symptoms.

Also, the problem with hormone level tests and results on paper is that there is such a wide range of what is considered normal, and even with the FSH test our hormones fluctuate and are not always at a consistent level. Here are some previous threads of women in your same situation:
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...lating+hormone

Hope this helps! If nothing else, maybe give the antidepressants a month or two and see if they help any. If you are still having symptoms regardless, then push for a trial of hrt to see if that helps. Good luck with everything!
Unread 10-22-2006, 01:29 PM

Thanks for your help and all that info.i am going to go back to my doctor armed with more info now!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-23-2006, 07:10 AM

Hi CandyPops,
Reading your post I can see how you might be stressed and depressed. I think it is important for me to realize that the numbers on the blood tests are just that. Stress, depression, heat can all sap your levels. My doc's are not spending time testing then prescribing because the blood tests only reflect that exact moment in time. Fortunately they just let me try some testosterone, more estrogen and walla I'm feeling better. At whatever blood number I'm at right now, I'm feeling good and think I must have been falling for some time due to the uterine and ovarian disease. You seemed to be saying that you thought you need a bit more HRT and that you were not entirely trusing of those anti-depressants (which don't really help unless you do the work in your life you need to do to change the situation). Perhaps looking into your intuition and maybe finding another doc would be good? Noom
Unread 10-23-2006, 07:13 AM

PS...By the way, I have been depressed, on anti-depressants, recovered and I am shocked at the difference in my state of mind having the extra testosterone and estrogen has made. I feel strong enough to change, rather than feeling so bad, all I could hope for was to adapt to the badness. Whatever you need to go through this hard spell in life seems like a good idea, so you can cross the turbulance, recover and shine with newfound, hard earned inner beauty. Noom
Unread 10-23-2006, 11:00 AM

Hiya,

I am one of those people who have had to have a balance of hormones (thyroid, estrogen) plus take anti-depressants. I originally went to an endocrinologist to discover what I needed to take to get my thyroid and estrogen at the right levels. Once I did that - my anti-depressants actually worked!

Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register