hello hystersisters | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

hello hystersisters hello hystersisters

Unread 01-29-2002, 01:27 PM
hello hystersisters

hi i am a brand new sister.I found this site a couple of days ago and have found it addictive and very useful. I never knew sites like this existed.I am 33 and have 3 boys aged 8,5 and 3.I am booked into have a hysterectomy 18th Feb and am geting quite nervous already.Its nice to know others that got nervous beforehand.I have had problems since having my 3rd son,it has now been diagnosed as dysfunctional uterine bleeding.There was another option(balloning)open to me but after much thought i have decided to have a hysterectomy,as im sure i would end up having it done anyway.Has anyone had a balloning ablation or similar and did it help at all?I am quite concerned about the post op. period when i wont be able to be there for my boys and keep house etc. The other concern is how i can survive without shops-i love to shop!
lol Debbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2002, 02:04 PM
hello hystersisters

We are so much alike! I have 3 kids, ages 9, 6 and 2 1/2 and my surgery date is 2/18 also. My doctor said that the balloon ablation probably would not work in my case, since I have bleeding between periods as well. I've already tried all the various hormonal treatments and a D&C.

I think I am going to have more than enough help during my recovery, so that doesn't worry me too much. I am mostly worried about getting my house in shape and ALL the laundry done prior to the surgery. I don't know about you, but I am amazed at how much laundry my family produces!

About the shopping...there's always HSN and QVC and internet shopping!!
Unread 01-29-2002, 02:06 PM
Shopping

You can shop without going out:dance2:! Just do what I did over the holidays. Point and click and use your computer. Best invention since sliced bread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2002, 03:03 PM
judyjudyjudy

hello judy many thanks for your reply.
Your lucky with the help side of things,theres just me,hubby and the boys so no extra hands!I have some good friends but they have young children too.I dont have bleeding inbetween period but they do last for about 10 days and i have a 27 day cycle.I have had a hysteroscopy and nothing abnormal was found,apart from an enlarged womb and thickening of the uterus.
Yes we have so much washing,the middle boy comes out of school covered in mud every day,but boys will be boys.Do you have boys or girls?We donot have TV shopping.
Keep in touch,are you nervous? Debbie
i
Unread 01-29-2002, 04:43 PM
balloon therapy

Hi there. I had a D & C and balloon therapy last August. It helped for 3 months and that was all. I finally quit bleeding 2 nights ago - I had bled 47 out of 52 days. My LAVH/BSO is set for Feb 11th. said that I was his first failure at the balloon therapy.
Good luck and keep in touch.

Cindy
Unread 01-29-2002, 08:01 PM
hello hystersisters

Hi Debbie,

I went to have a balloon ablation. Is that is the same thing you are talking about? If so, it doesn't open up your cervix, instead it uses heat to "ablate" (destroy) the uterine lining, so (if you're lucky) you don't bleed so much. If you are talking about something that opens up your cervix (like a balloon angioplasty, but for the cervix), then that's a new one on me - although a doctor did try a D(noC - just the dilation part) on me at age 15 (late 1970s), to help with cramps. That didn't work *at all*, and since then other gyns have told me it was pure quackery, and nobody does them anymore. So I'm thinking you must be talking about an ablation.

Anyway, I tried to have one. But Doc discovered fibroids in the way, and you can't do the balloon kind with fibroids inside the uterus. So I got to go through all the fun of a hospital visit, anesthesia (and associated hurling afterward), a laparoscopic tubal (ow!), D&C, hysteroscopy, and partial myomectomy, all at once. It didn't help. and in 6 weeks I was back for a TAH.

I've heard of ablations working for some women, but if you get serious about thinking of one, ask for at least a thorough ultrasound exam, to see if there are any obvious fibroids - although ultrasounds can miss them - but at least if you see one right there, you'll know to skip the ablation. You might also discuss with your doctor the possibility of going straight to a hyst if there's any reason the ablation can't be done - so you can avoid two surgeries/recoveries right in a row.

There's a wonderful ablation site, with discussion boards, a lot like this (but smaller):
http://home.att.net/~endometrial_ablation/index.html
Be sure to read the posts that are listed by time period - like "1 year after", etc. where women post how they are doing post-ablation. Sometimes ablations take a few months to "take", and sometimes they work at first, then "fail". Knowing what I know now about them, I would have skipped that part, but they can be a great thing in some circumstances.

Best of luck with your decision!

p.s. I just went back and read your more recent post. If the hysteroscopy didn't find any fibroids, that's a point in favor of the balloon ablation. But if your uterus seemed "thick" ("boggy", maybe?) that could be adenomyosis, and an ablation doesn't work well with that. Just more stuff to think about...

p.p.s. I see you need a push in the right direction with regards to the shopping thing... Here's my favorite site for great P.J.s, which you'll need anyway, for all that recovering:
http://www2.victoriassecret.com/coll...br=OSSLPPYJZZZ
Unread 01-29-2002, 09:12 PM
hello hystersisters

Hi Debbie!

Welcome To Hystersisters!

You've already gotten some great insight from these wonderful ladies; I just wanted to welcome you here and encourage you to keep reading, keep posting - !

It's best to do everything you can to take extra special care of yourself when you come home from the hospital. This means NO lifting (children or laundry), ... NO housework, NO worrying about things outside your own world of healing. It's a very critical time and it's better to take care of yourself from the get-go than to take chances and end up prolonging your recovery. It's a time to pamper the princess make your health and healing your primary concern over everything else.

Best wishes! Glad to meet you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register