Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Sep 07-Sep 13,2009 - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Sep 07-Sep 13,2009 Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Sep 07-Sep 13,2009

Unread 09-13-2009, 12:09 PM
Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Sep 07-Sep 13,2009

I too had my surgery (TAH) on 9/10/09. I was having a lot of pain as well. Im doing better today and hope that you will too. It sucks you had so much trouble with your pain meds. I was happy when my nurses managed to to get my pain under control. Everything will work out good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-13-2009, 03:28 PM

I had my TAH on Sept 8. I am doing good as long as Im on painkillers. When I wake up in the am, It is so painful, to lay on my back or side, to get up or lay down. One side in incision hurts more than the other, but I think that is the side I put more strain on, when getting up. I am hoping all this will pass soon. I also have shingles on my back since I came home.
Unread 09-13-2009, 08:22 PM

Had my TVH as scheduled w/ minor rectum repairs on 9/10 by 3 pm. Got in room by 8 pm. Also had spinal w/ morphine as per anesthesiologiest in addition to general anesthesia. He said it would help me the next day in feeling no pain. I did have a slight allergic reaction to the morphine that night where my face and neck were itchy. Nurse gave me benedry in my IV and within 1/2 hr I fell asleep. Only problem I ran into was after the catherer removed, I did not urinate enough and was threated to put back in. Tried 3 more times and the PA said it would be ok, but still measure what I elimated. 4th try was a success and the nurse gave a high 5.
Sent home late Friday night w. percocet every 4 hrs but today (Sun) only took 3x. Finally had a BM which scared me because I have chonic constipation and knew the Dr. did some repairs. She said it would be ok to take my daily miralax. Wish I had it in the hosp but nurse would not allow.
Dr. also advised no drivng for 2 weeks, so still not sure about going back to work at 3 weeks. Have an appt on Oct 5.
I am grateful to my family for their support and love during these last few days. My husband has been keeping the house clean and cooking the meals. We use the phone extensions as an intercom so I can call him when I need him. today the football games were on, so he bbq for all of us. Nice to hear voices and laughter in the house today. Both sons were home and my future dil.
I have strict orders from my husband not to do anything because we do have a vacation planned in the end of Oct as long as I had a TVH the Dr. said I should be fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-13-2009, 08:59 PM

I had my RALH-BSO on 9/9. It took longer than expected (don't know why yet -- it's one of my ??? for my follow-up appt). As it turns out, apparently I am very allergic to demerol. Who knew? I had a pretty bad reaction coming out of the anesthesia, so was switched to Dilaudid, which I tolerate well.

As a result, I spent a 2nd night in the hospital, but by the following morning, I was feeling much better. My Foley was removed that morning and within 2 hours I was urinating and I even passed gas that day.

From the hospital, I went to my mom's for one night, more to keep everyone else happy than because I needed it, then home on 9/12 after stopping at the vet's office to pick up my dog. We're both really happy to be home.

My incisions look fantastic, I'm in little to no pain and can get in and out of bed, walk, sit, do stairs and all that good stuff. Each day is better and I expect to need nothing stronger than ibuprofen by tomorrow. My doc said I could drive one day post-op as long as I wasn't looped out on darvocet, so I haven't driven yet, but in a day or so. She is allowing me to resume my walking program on the treadmill, but no stationary bicycle for at least 4 weeks as she doesn't want any pressure on the vaginal cuff.

While the food had to be the worst I've ever had, I can't say enough good things about the nursing staff. They were fantastic!

One thing I learned when I first got out of bed post-op is that gravity is NOT my friend. Only one incision was sore, but the area about 4" below my sternum really, really hurt. That's gone now and toradol helped immensely since they wanted me to walk the halls a time or two.

I think the best moment was when I took my shower on Saturday afternoon! I've replaced my dressings with bandaids per my doc's orders. I've got tons of books and DVDs to keep me occupied for the time I'm off work.

I'm glad the worst is behind me now and I look forward to getting better each day.
Unread 09-13-2009, 09:23 PM
Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Sep 07-Sep 13,2009

Oh gosh I'm so glad to be here on the other side. I was so afraid of surgery that all I could do was read the pre-op posts and cry with practically each one because I related to everyones fears, concerns, trials and tribulations. I was the scardy cat hanging out in the eaves! Now I'm post and relating again to all the post op stories. I was scehduled for tah/bso with possible bowel resection so happy to wake up with no resection! I should be walking more but so tired and my neck is killing me worse pain than incision. I'm in great shape so I have no excuse but those two. I can relate to sister with shoulder pain...I got a little upset at teenagers this evening and barked at dh a tiny bit and noticed immediately how it affected me.. I became sore, swollen and suddenly down I truly believe I'm not being hormonal yet just justifiably disappointed in lack of compassion and help from 3 teens at home. Dh is doing all and I stressed him out when I sent back homemade chicken soup because there weren't any matzah balls in it! I know ladies... I know... I had my heart and stomach set on them when he said that what was for dinner I finally got a little appetite and then no matzah! and the kids... Ugh! I did apologize to dh...not kids...well hopefully better days ahead. I am glad to not be at hospital and one step closer to getting my life back! I can't begin to say how
grateful I am for this website it has been my saving grace honestly!!
Unread 09-13-2009, 10:57 PM

I had the Da Vinci surgery on Friday afternoon, September 11th and came home on Saturday the 12th. My pain has been very minimal. Had last Vicodin on Sat afternoon. My incisions are all bruised and tender, but not bad at all. I feel very, very good! My doctor said there was very little blood loss. The bowel prep on Thursday evening was probably worse than the surgery. I would highly recommend the Da Vinci surgery if it is an option for you.
Unread 09-13-2009, 11:44 PM

In spite of the post-op problems I had, I too highly recommend the DaVinci procedure. I only really have one "sore" incision and that's probably the one that had the most instruments in it. Even so, at this point, it's just minor discomfort as well. I'm actually on darvocet, but probably won't need any more of it. I think I've taken 2, maybe 3 total. My doc gave me probably a lifetime supply of them. At this point, I could describe my discomfort as a bit of achiness around the lower incisions -- kind of like having done marathon sit-ups. All my friends/ family are so amazed at the tiny incisions and my being up and around so quickly!
Unread 09-14-2009, 06:43 AM

to all you girls who had multiple procedures....hats off to you!

and shingles? i had them about a month before the lavh and they are not fun.
if you want my dilaudid.......
Unread 09-14-2009, 07:15 AM

Hi Everyone!

I'm so glad I found this website. I thought I was alone with one piece a paper from my doctor about post op. I'm 34 years old with two adopted daughters. I have had problems with endo, PCOS and bilateral inguinal herneas. After many years of problems and pain, I had my surgery on Sept 8th, a full lap hyster and hernea repair. My doctor is only one of 5 that repairs inguinal herneas. This was all done outpatient at a surgery center. Now after reading this it doesn't seem common to do it outpatient. I felt awesome the first day of the surgery maybe just excited that it's all over with and I was home. Day 2- not that great really sore and the pain meds made me itch really bad. Day 3 - I had a high fever because the doctor called in new meds with only taking one pill every 6 hours and I could of taken 2 instead. So my body was having issues with handling the pain. Day 4- felt like a new women. So my friend wanted to get me out of the house, so I went to get a pedicure. Every since that little trip, I have been in so much pain.... I just had my first bowel movement last night after days of taking stool softner ( the doctor didnt tell me to take them) and nothing so I had to take a laxative. I will NEVER do that again, I spent the night in more pain than I had every had in my life.

I'm a very active person and this boredum is killing me. In my mind I have so much to do, but my body want allow me to do it. My doctor said try to be active but when I do I'm in worst pain then I was before.

When should I go back to work?

Let's hope day 6 will be a good day!!! I hope everyone has a good day!
Unread 09-14-2009, 07:53 AM

i have been advised that 4-6 weeks is the average time off from work. i say go back as soon as you feel able. my boss will let me start with 1/2 days to see how it goes.
i took 4 weeks off but wont need all that time.
the inactivity is killing me too. i am pushing myself to walk and get out of bed and take a shower everyday whether i need one or not. i think its good to push yourself a little.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register