Turning 32 and hysterectomy scheduled on 12/2! Am so nervous about the potential risks for premenopause | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Turning 32 and hysterectomy scheduled on 12/2! Am so nervous about the potential risks for premenopause Turning 32 and hysterectomy scheduled on 12/2! Am so nervous about the potential risks for premenopause

Unread 11-18-2020, 08:44 PM
Turning 32 and hysterectomy scheduled on 12/2! Am so nervous about the potential risks for premenopause

Hello all, what a community!

I'm scheduled to have a total hysterectomy (will keep my ovaries) in two weeks and even though I really want to do it and excited to move on with my life, I'm scared!

I'm mostly worried about the risks for premenopause. I have had a difficult time with fibroids and already had an abdominal myomectomy to have them removed five years ago. My amazing doctor says if I want to try for kids I should do another myomectomy and see, but if I'm sure I don't want children (I'm sure) I should go through with the hysterectomy before more complications arise.

My fibroids are already affecting my bladder, my sex life, and my daily comfort (I have pain and discharge everyday that requires me to wear a pad or tampon). I also am at risk for cervical cancer.

I feel like getting the hysterectomy will only improve my quality of life (and either way, i will need some kind of abdominal surgery this year, they are too big), but there are so many scary stories on here, and even though I'll keep my ovaries, what if I become premenopausal? The abdominal myomectomy five years ago was honestly no sweat, but this time am feeling nervous and unsure about the future, even though I know I want my uterus out.

Would love some words of encouragement or advice from anyone who has been through something similar at my age! This seems like such an amazing community, so glad that everyone going through this bs has been able to come here for support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-19-2020, 05:06 PM
Re: Turning 32 and hysterectomy scheduled on 12/2! Am so nervous about the potential risks for premenopause

Hi Tasu
Over in the UK women under the age of 51 are put into HRT to combat menopausal symptoms and to protect against future problems like osteoporosis. I’ve been given Prostap to reduce my fibroids/cysts before surgery and it’s supposed to put me into a menopausal state (think it is called Luprin or something similar in the US?). I’ve been started on HRT at the same time and not had any menopausal symptoms. I could just be lucky and maybe it will change after my own operation.
I am in my late forties and won’t be keeping my ovaries so in a different situation to you so I don’t know if this helps or not! All I can say is that I hadn’t planned to have HRT when I reached the natural menopause but it seems to be preventing symptoms at the moment.

I also had a myomectomy but those fibroids just keep bouncing back don’t they! I wish you well with your operation and beyond.
Unread 11-19-2020, 08:57 PM
Re: Turning 32 and hysterectomy scheduled on 12/2! Am so nervous about the potential risks for premenopause

Hi tasu to HysterSisters!

I am so glad you found this site.

All of your feelings, fears, emotions and anxieties are completely normal.

Because I lost everything (uterus, cervix, tubes and ovaries) at age 46, I cannot provide you with any direct experience. But, if your ovaries are healthy, it is a good idea to keep them. They may get a bit sleepy after your surgery due to blood loss, but they will soon get accustomed and wake up. I do not know what your chances are of going into early menopause because of this. Your doctor may know, given your specific situation.

Here are articles that may provide information:
Hot Flashes with Ovaries? 5 Reasons Why!
Ovarian Blood Supply
Sleeping Ovaries after Hysterectomy?
Ovary Function after Hysterectomy

We do have many women on this site, so hopefully one with as situation similar to your own will see this post and respond.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-20-2020, 07:19 AM

TASU

Welcome! My heart goes out to you. I know it is hard not to be worried about your pending surgery. For me it was the fear of the unknown. Similar to you, thinking… am I making the right decision and will my quality of life be better?

Personally, I dealt with random heavy bleeding during the month and daily pelvic pain due to endometriosis, scar tissue in my uterus from a failed ablation. I was 10+ years older than you when I had my hysterectomy and kept my ovaries. I was not menopausal and have a family history of women having later aged menopause. So, it was a concern for me even at my age. I weigh all my options and for me having the hysterectomy still outweighed what I had to deal with currently on a daily basis. I wanted the better quality of life now, and would take it day by day in the future.

Common during recovery for ovaries to be in shock and when hormones do come back on line, they often are still a bit haywire for several months until they evened out. I had several months of menopausal symptoms somedays it was times 10, but it did even out. If needed, I will tackle HRT for hormonal issues down the road. But for now, I will continue to live my “so much better” quality of life!!

I hope this post helped. Sounds like you have a great doctor and that is so important to have on your medical team. Have faith, as they have your best interest at heart and will continue to guide you in your health journey.

Wishing you the best in life and remember we are always here to listen and lend support.
Take care
Unread 11-23-2020, 08:43 PM
Turning 32 and hysterectomy scheduled on 12/2! Am so nervous about the potential risks for premenopause

I had my hysterectomy in 2013 and I was 29. I also kept both my ovaries at the time. I had a TAH because of severe adhesions from 2 prior c-sections that caused my uterus to adhere to my bladder, bowel and abdominal wall. She went in the year before laparoscopic to remove adhesions, but they came back worse and every period was a nightmare. Anyway, after my hysterectomy I was SO much better, my ovaries took a little of a hiatus for a few months, but not like full menopause symptoms, just some minor heat flushing and a few mood swings. Definitely nothing like PMS.
I lost an ovary in 2016 to a cyst but all still good until this year. Had a cyst develop on my right ovary and ended up with surgery 11 days ago. So I’m now in surgical menopause. But the last 7 years have been great. No way I would change my mind about my hysterectomy. And other than my ovaries’ strike those first few months, I saw no premenopausal symptoms.
Unread 11-24-2020, 05:18 PM

Welcome!

What scares you about peri-menopause (premenopause)? If you are keeping your ovaries your body will still produce estrogen, you'll have "cycles" just no bleeding (YAY), and your doctor can supplement you with estrogen as well so you still feel like the young woman that you are

Is there something specific that scares you about it?

I'm 48 and had mine hysterectomy in September. I also kept my ovaries and use a supplemental estrogen patch. All of my perimenopause symptoms are controlled very well. I feel much better than I did before getting rid of the awful fibroids and subsequent junk that goes with them. So nice not to have a period too!!!!!

I think you will find you feel lots better after your recovery!
Unread 11-24-2020, 05:28 PM

I had my tah done 6 years ago and besides a brief strike of my ovaries for a month or two after surgery I have had no perimenopausal symptoms and I am 49 years old now. I do still feel like I am having my monthly (emotionally, mood swings, and some tenderness in breast) just with no bleeding or pain. I feel it has made my quality of life so much better
Unread 11-24-2020, 05:33 PM

Hey there!! I hope this helps you some. I was 38 when I got my hysterectomy. Older than you but kinda close if you think about it. My dr left both ovaries, took uterus and crevice, and did a vaginal cuff. I had 3 fibroids and she said my uterus was 3 times the size of a normal one. My fibroids before surgery had started to affect my bladder by pushing on them to where I was peeing like 4 times each night. I was bleeding so bad like twice a month and was always feeling dizzy, cramping and out of it towards the end I guess from bleeding so much. The fibroids would hurt during sex as well. The surgery fir me was the best thing. I had a great dr who explained she had to literally chop my uterus into a lot of pieces to pull it out and she still ended up bumping my bladder on the way out. Lol. My stomach is half the size it used to be and I am done with all complications thank goodness. Healing for me wasn’t bad and I did have some hot flashes during healing and it did take a while when I started having sex again for it to feel the same as far as penetration and orgasms but everything is normal now. I had my surgery last October. I really hope this helps you some. I wish you the best of luck and happy holidays as well.
Unread 11-24-2020, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasu View Post

I'm scheduled to have a total hysterectomy (will keep my ovaries) in two weeks and even though I really want to do it and excited to move on with my life, I'm scared!

I'm mostly worried about the risks for premenopause. I have had a difficult time with fibroids and already had an abdominal myomectomy to have them removed five years ago. My amazing doctor says if I want to try for kids I should do another myomectomy and see, but if I'm sure I don't want children (I'm sure) I should go through with the hysterectomy before more complications arise.

My fibroids are already affecting my bladder, my sex life, and my daily comfort (I have pain and discharge everyday that requires me to wear a pad or tampon). I also am at risk for cervical cancer.

I feel like getting the hysterectomy will only improve my quality of life (and either way, i will need some kind of abdominal surgery this year, they are too big), but there are so many scary stories on here, and even though I'll keep my ovaries, what if I become premenopausal? The abdominal myomectomy five years ago was honestly no sweat, but this time am feeling nervous and unsure about the future, even though I know I want my uterus out.

Would love some words of encouragement or advice from anyone who has been through something similar at my age! This seems like such an amazing community, so glad that everyone going through this bs has been able to come here for support.
I had a total hysterectomy (kept my ovaries) and I feel like a million dollars after 6 months!
The first 3-4 months are rough and you must take it very easy. Don't pull, pick and push anything!!!!!! please! and you will be fine. Take it easy, get a lot of rest and look at videos of other sisters day by day and month by month so you know what to expect and learn how to deal with your recovery and progress. It is amazing! I have no more periods, anemia and fibroids. No more pain. I am almost 50 years old and it took longer for me to heal but I have the patience and discipline to take it easy! It os your time as a woman to improve your quality of life and find the path of wellness and happiness. Just take this period (at least 6 months) to understand your body and get ready for your NEW YOU! It is worthy and the best decision, at least for me. I was dying and sick for many years. Now I am healthy and happy. This is my testimony to you.
Keep a positive mind, you will be fine.
Blessings to you and all my hyster sisters. They have been wonderful to me and to many women.
Unread 11-24-2020, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasu View Post

Although I am not your age, I also had a myomectomy, in my late 30s. I did it then because I did want kids. This time I know that I want no more kids, so I had the hysterectomy. This was 10 years later, and my uterus weighed in at 4 pounds when they removed it (60x its normal size). It was impinging on my digestion and I have had chronic anemia for years. If you have another myomectomy now, you will most likely have to have yet another procedure when (not if) the fibroids grow back again. If you are sure you don’t want kids, yes, it makes sense to have the hysterectomy.

I tried to keep both ovaries, but the scarring from the myomectomy meant, long story short, that one of them was sacrificed. I was assured that the one I have left will do the job. I am also not hurrying toward menopause, and had similar concerns. I have heard of ovarian failure resulting in an early menopause. My understanding is that your choice of surgeon is the biggest factor in the future success of your ovaries.

It is normal to be scared, both of the surgery and of early menopause. Good luck in your decision.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register