Vaginal hysterectomy...Feels like what after surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vaginal hysterectomy...Feels like what after surgery? Vaginal hysterectomy...Feels like what after surgery?

Unread 01-28-2012, 04:33 PM
Vaginal hysterectomy...Feels like what after surgery?

I need to know what it feels like having the vaginal hyster.... I know a few ladies that were cut but none that had it done the other way. When your cut I guess you are swollen etc. How do you feel when it was done vaginally. I am scheduled for Feb 2,2012... Having it done vaginaly for a prolapsed uterus...I understand the healing time is much faster which makes sense but I'm sure there has to be some discomfort. Any answer would be great, thatnks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2012, 04:42 PM
Re: Vaginal hysterectomy...Feels like what after surgery?

I guess it's kinda like having given birth? Inside things feel kinda heavy if you've been standing awhile, and the belly band thingie helps to ease that ache. Mostly you'll be moving gingerly for awhile, sitting alot (I reclined mostly), try not to cough or sneeze, but when you do, brace yourself! Do a kegel first, just sayin. Compared to abdominal surgery (had my appendix out when I was 10), this is a much easier recovery!
Unread 01-28-2012, 05:32 PM

It was like menstrual cramps. Easily managed (for me). I feared writhing in pain and throbbing from cutting/stitching. Was not like that at all! Make friends with your heat pad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2012, 06:04 PM

For me I was uncomfortable but nothing Motrin and a heating pad couldnt handle for the first week or so. After that I didnt require anything for pain. Even if your feeling ok you have to follow whatever restriction you are given and get plenty of rest.
Good luck
Tracy
Unread 01-29-2012, 01:02 AM

The worst pain is the night after surgery. It feels like labor pains all night, but it's actually bladder spasms. Ask for meds for spasms. The doc did not have to cut me (epis). I got straight up the next morning and walked around just like normal. When i got home i took my pain meds every 4-6 jours for the first couple of days. By the end of the week you will find yourself only taking pain meds maybe once or twice in the evening according to your activity. I walked even if it was just inside. Rem if you are up for an hour rest for an hour. 4 days post op I went to a Christmas family gathering with ease. You feel fine, but you have to remind yourself that you just had a major surgery. Good Luck
Unread 01-29-2012, 03:46 AM

I had gas pains when I was about to pass wind or a BM. They can take your breath away and easily mistaken for abdominal pains. I also had heavy discharge but really everyone is different and it will depend on whether you are having repairs and also if you are cut. I had repairs and had to be cut as the uterus was bigger than anticipated.
Overall, it's all manageable but you still need to be very careful with lifting, pulling, pushing as it's still a hysterectomy but you don't have a huge incision.
Hope it goes well and good luck :-)
Unread 01-29-2012, 08:14 AM

I was on narcotic pain pills for a week after my LAVH surgery. Now, only ibuprofen. Initially, the pain felt like extra-intense period cramps with sharp pains anytime there was gas or having to poop. The latter problem is dissipating now (almost three weeks post surgery) but I still have minor period-like discomfort with occasional aching pains at times.

I found the belly band support thingy, and not moving too fast, to be very useful during the first week.
Unread 01-29-2012, 11:26 AM

Thanks ladies. Great info. Now I need to know how soon to go to work????/ I drive & bend & move & reach & climb a small ladder. Don't want to hurt myself. After all the inside has been manipulated... I am strong physically but was told I would never be able to lift like I have in the past...:-( I'm hoping to get 4 weeks of rest? Is that too long?
Unread 01-29-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubberpenguin View Post
Thanks ladies. Great info. Now I need to know how soon to go to work????/ I drive & bend & move & reach & climb a small ladder. Don't want to hurt myself. After all the inside has been manipulated... I am strong physically but was told I would never be able to lift like I have in the past...:-( I'm hoping to get 4 weeks of rest? Is that too long?
I live in the UK and the very minimum is 6 weeks before you can drive or return to work. I had my 6 week check-up last Monday and still have stitches. My DR advised no sex for another 4 weeks, remain last week still off work and return part-time this week (7 weeks). I have read that healing can take between 6 - 12 weeks with an average of 8 weeks plus the advise given to me was 'Nothing in the vagina for 6 weeks' but I had a TVH, and this included no bathing. I would suggest you work to 6 weeks but check with your DR and, above all, your body will tell you when it's ready.

Hope this helps.
Unread 01-29-2012, 02:21 PM

I returned to work part time at 9 weeks and I have a desk job. No way I could have returned at 4 weeks. The pain after my TVH wasn't as bad as I expected but it went on for much longer than expected. Bladder pain, weird discharge, pain with sneezing, swelly belly, unbelievable gas and difficult bowel movements will be the norm for a while. I constantly kept my heating pad on. Take stool softeners to help with BMs. Personally, I didn't use a belly binder as my tummy was way too sore to wear anything around it. Good luck.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register