:doctor:Tomorrow's the day | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

:doctor:Tomorrow's the day :doctor:Tomorrow's the day

Unread 01-15-2002, 11:17 AM
Tomorrow's the day

Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect! I'm not too nervous but I think the anxiety is starting to set in. Does anyone having any comforting words?

thanks Stephy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2002, 12:00 PM
:doctor:Tomorrow's the day

I can tell you what happened my first day at the castle. Surgery scheduled (and started at!) 7:30 a.m. Had to be there at 6:30 a.m. Sat in waiting area with dh & my mom & all the other surgical patients with their families until a nurse called me back. Taken to holding area, given a gown, told to change in bathroom, put belongings in a bag they gave me and got into the bed. The nurse came back and asked most of the same questions they'd asked at the pre-op visit, made me take out my contacts, gave me something to neutralize my stomach acid, and started my IV. Next, the anestheologist came in and asked questions about my medical history and ordered me some Afrin since my nose was a little stuffy. Then the nurse came back to shave me and gave me some Versed to relax me. I don't remember anything else until I woke up in the recovery room. The rest of the day was spent dozing in and out of catnaps with dh and a few visitors there. Your visit may not follow in that same exact order, but this is pretty standard from what I've seen at most hospitals here. As you can see, it's the busiest before the surgery. Afterwards, it's mainly rest & pain control (which wasn't much pain). Good luck on your castle stay and enjoy the pampering.
Unread 01-15-2002, 12:20 PM
:doctor:Tomorrow's the day

Hey Stephy,
Just wanted to drop by and offer some support and say congratulations for staying calm this long. I'm scheduled for next week and already am a nervous wreck! Keep taking deep breaths, relax, and just think, in a few more hours it will all be over with and you will be on your way to recovery. Take care!
JuneBug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2002, 12:34 PM
my experience

Hi Stephy

All i can tell you is what my experience was. Night before my surgery i was not able to eat or drink after midnight. My Dr also instructed me to eat light, non gassy foods and lots of water & juices for at least two days prior to reduce gas and bowel issues (as much as possible anyway)
Day of surgery
I had to be there at 7am. My surgery was at 10am. They did all my blood work etc. the day of. The rest of the day after the hyst, I remember very little. Fleeting moments here and there. I was put on a demerol pump for pain but got very sick from it. I was put on oral meds the following morning.
The day after
I was finally aloud something to drink. clear liquids, jello broth juice. I also was gotten up for my first walk. Had three to do for the day.
Day two
Was walking a lot more and eating a regular diet, but still bland LOTS of water was emphasized greatly. It does help alot The gas and bowel issues were worse for me than the surgery i think.
Day three
I had my cath removed and was checked out by my Dr and released. I was sent home with a long list of do's and dont's for the next 6 weeks.
Home. I was much more comfortable being home. The stairs were a pain but one trip was managable. My only real issues at home were bowel, bladder and gas. this to passes (pun intended lol) i am 25 days post now and bowels are back to normal bladder is still a bit quirky but doing good and the gass issue was over the first week. I still have a small amount of spotting here and there but was assured it was normal. I am healing very well and feeling pretty good.

Main tips DRINK LOTS OF WATER!!! take short walks threw ur house to keep bowels active and cerculation. keep diet light non gassy foods or binding. And most of all Take care of yourself. Do not over do it. This is major surgery and you need time to heal and be well. take your post op instructions seriously. They are a guide to your healthy recovery

Always take care and be well

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register