I have a few personal questions after reading... HELP | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I have a few personal questions after reading... HELP I have a few personal questions after reading... HELP

Unread 04-06-2002, 05:44 PM
I have a few personal questions after reading... HELP

I had an inernet friend send me to a site about all the downfalls of a hysterectomy.... and said PLEASE sign up for this support group and don't have a hysterectomy!!!
There are 2 questions I have....
1. I read that having a hysterectomy could give you an unpleasant odor ? :confuse: Can it really? Does your natural scent change any ?
Less discharge during and after the 8 weeks or more as in just normal discharge... does it smell as your healing like the cauterizing surgery discharge for an abnormal pap....?????
2. I read lubrication is less and I was wondering if that's true ????
3. I read even if they leave your ovaries you'll go through hot flashes and menopause symptoms until the ovaries come out of shock?????????

Oh gosh ! All the experts as in friends that have no clue telling you all kinds of scary stuff doesn't help !!!
I'm still counting the days down......I don't want to have any stone unturned...I'm a little worried now......Please let me know and I'm sorry it's so personal....well then again hey we're all here for that very reason....
Thanks in advance !!
SSSSSS
Deborah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2002, 06:51 PM

Hi Deborah,

You gotta love those "friends". Most of my family and friends were very supportive of my decision to have a hyst; anyone who was negative I chose to avoid until after surgery because I believe if you have a positive attitude going in to surgery you are much better off.

To try to answer your questions:
1. For a couple of weeks there is a slight medicinal odor in the urine as the anesthesia and other meds work their way out of your body. Also some sisters say they noticed an odor when the internal stitches start dissolving. I am 7 weeks post and completely back to normal. :eyes:
2. Lubrication - I haven't noticed any less.
3. I had both ovaries removed and started HRT two weeks after surgery. I didn't have any hot flashes before starting HRT and haven't had any problems since starting. I'm sure other sisters who have kept their ovaries will be along to share their experiences.

Good luck! and keep asking questions!
Unread 04-06-2002, 06:58 PM

Dear Deborah,

I'm so glad you have found us. I think I know the site you are referring to and it truely is very scary. THIS site however- Hystersisters - is a Godsend. You will find so much support and information. None of us on the site are doctors - all we can do is tell you our personal experiences - but you will receive honest, helpful, and thoughtful explanations.

I'll let you know what I experienced regarding your questions and I'm sure others will follow.

1. I've had no odor or change in my natural scent. I know my husband or sons would let me know if something were different.
I just had a little bit of discharge that started three days after surgery and lasted less than a week. Some ladies have discharge that lasts a lot longer, others have none at all. We are all different. I didn't notice a particular smell with the discharge I had.
2. I have not had a problem with less lubrication. This has not been an issue for my husband and I.
3. I did not keep my ovaries, so can't speak from personal experience on this one. However, I have read that some ladies who did keep their ovaries experienced some menopausal symptoms for a very short time until all of the anesthesia was out of their systems and ovaries "woke up". I'll defer more on this to someone who has been through it.

I understand what you mean by so called experts (ie: friends) trying to tell you what to expect. If they haven't been through it they can't possibly know. Don't listen to them. You will find more women here who are so glad they had the surgery, wish they had done it sooner, and a vast majority have it and go on with their lives. A small percentage have some problems post op, but I stress a SMALL percentage.

Please stay with us. There is so much good information here. Read all of the pull down menus. Go to the forum for Hysterectomy Alternatives. Visit us in the Chat Room. Remember that the waiting is the hardest part. We're glad you are here!

Hugs and best wishes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2002, 06:59 PM
Thx !!

I will avoid the negative people they do me no good right now !!!
Thank you for your answers !!! I just want to know what to expect..... I just love this place and all you sweet sisters !
The wait is so HARD !!!!
:Hug:SSSSS
Deborah
Unread 04-06-2002, 07:05 PM
PTO Queen.....Oh I'm not going anywhere !!!

I need to read of the sisters experiences !!! I don't know what I'd have done without you all being here !!!! I'm just having the lady in waiting jitters !!!
I can't wait to post as a full princess and have this all behind me !
Take care all aand God Bless
sssss
Deborah
Unread 04-06-2002, 08:26 PM

It's always amazing how when people mean well, they make things worse!! For some reason, people feel compelled to share stuff like that site with us...and tell us all the horror stories they've heard, about their cousin's husband's grandmother's twin who grew another arm after her hyst, etc. etc. etc.

You will find that NONE of these people telling the stories and sharing the scary stats have actually HAD a hyst, tho.

Stick with us, keep reading and posting, and we'll help you get through this waiting.

s to you!

Karen
Unread 04-06-2002, 09:37 PM
just to ease your mind.

HELLO,

I HAD THA ON AUGUST 16,200. I HAVE HAD NONE OF THE THINGS YOU HAVE ASKED ABOUT.LUBERCATION IS GOOD,SEX DRIVE IS BETTER THAN BEFORE,THERE WAS NO ODOR AT ANY TIME DURNING RECOVERY OR AFTER WARDS.WHAT THE LADIES ARE TELLING YOU AS FAR AS TAKING IT EASY ,NOT LIFTING ANY THING AS HEAVY AS 1/2 GALLON OF MILK FOR A WHILE.YOU WILL BE FINE .IT IS A LITTLE PAINFULL AT FIRST HAVING A THA BUT IT GETS BETTER QUICK.

GOOD BLESS AND SEE YOU THREW IT ALL IS MY PRAYER FOR YOU.
Unread 04-07-2002, 03:40 AM
Thanks Karen & Barb !

Here I am up at 6 am....well would have been 5am but eastern standard time changed at 2am....anyway.....the wait my goodness it's a ball of emotions ! The fear of the unknown and I guess feeling a part of me will be missing.....Now why didn't I mourn my gallbladder being removed ??? I'm joking.....
I'm counting the days and sometimes the hours down...I gotta admit this has hit me harder than anything I've had to do with my health. And these expert friends in continous pain tell you "oh NO you're being *******ed seek help there's other options"! As if I don't know that...DUHHH
I think 10 years of pain an abnormal pap and weakness is ENOUGH !! Not to mention I can't tollerate hormones and don't want biopsies every 3 months added to all this for the complex hyperplasia !!!!!! And a fibroid growing !!!
The old saying " a mile in my shoes" fits very well ! And this internet friend has an abdominal huge mass that lays her out with pain ! I just don't get it ! I guess some people would rather complain and suffer out of fear????? It makes me want to tell her to leave me alone ! It's my body and my pain and my decision ! Instead the beauty of the internet is you can ignore someone very easily in a polite but curt manner......I'm staying here with all my sisters that speak of experience and I'm not stopping now ! I've made up my mind and I look forward to feeling better. Right now I have only one good week out of the month that I feel good and there's gotta be a better quality of life for me !
I wish I could fast forward this time up and have it behind me ! Waiting is the hardest part !!!!!!!!! Although the initial shock has worn off !
OH MY GOSH ! There she is !!!!!!! She just IM'D me !!!!!! Dang and she's on West coast time ! Hmmmmm
I can't believe this lady ! She's not even a good friend ! She scared me to death about having a Lipoma removed (fatty tumor) she said I would develope more all over my body like her !!! Well I haven't.....I'm shaking my head...... where do these people get off being naysaysers ???! I don't need this kinda negative input !:smokin: my brains out now !
How do you tell someone nicely to keep your opinons to yourself if I need them I'll ask for them !Ok turned down my volume she's being ignored now..... I hate to be rude but......oh well if it depends on taking care of myself so be it !!!
Ok sisters I've rattled enough and if anyone reading this has naysayers adding to your stress put them on ignore ! lol I'm going back to bed...it's 6:30am and I've vented and I feel lots better !!!
I hope everyone is having a nice weekend !!
Love to all,
Deborah
Unread 04-07-2002, 03:45 AM

{{{Deborah}}}

Yes, that waiting is the worst! I was a ball of nerves, and that's perfectly normal. I'm glad you're here with us so your well-meaning friend can't scare you from making the decision that is right for YOU.

As for your questions, I have had no odor, at least not that I have noticed. I had a chronic discharge before surgery and an odor with that, and as a matter of fact that problem has been solved.

Lubrication is not a problem at all either. I kept my cervix, I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but nevertheless it is no different now than it was before.

I did keep my ovaries, and YES, I did have menopausal symptoms up until just yesterday - a few hot flashes, but mainly night sweats. The doctors had told me beforehand that this is very common, and that the ovaries are traumatized by the surgery. Hey, maybe they miss their friend? Now it appears that everything is back to normal.

Hang in there hon, pretty soon all of these nerves and worries will be behind you. We'll be here till then, and after, to help you through.

s to you, Deborah. Talk to you later!

Unread 04-07-2002, 03:59 AM

Hey Deborah,

Go to your buddy list and block the person you don't want to talk to. She won't know she's been blocked, you will appear "off line". When you do want to talk toher you can unblock her.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register