Cervical Cancer out of the blue | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cervical Cancer out of the blue Cervical Cancer out of the blue

Unread 09-09-2004, 05:50 PM
Cervical Cancer out of the blue

Hello, I am do to have a LAVH the end of Spet 2004.
I went for a pap two months ago after a lengthy absence from the OBGYN(5 years). The results were abnormal cells. Went for a biopsy and the doctor said I needed a Cone Biospy.(Taking a cone shape chunch out of my cervix) Two days after, I got a call that it was cervical cancer and needed to go to a specialst. They have determined I need a LAVH with the ovaries left behind.
I guess the reason for my post is... I am in shell shock. I am 35 years of age with no childern. I had not intended to have childern so that isn't devastating.
I, like everyone, have questions, but mostly I seek comfort and resurrence in a time of uncertainty.
Thanks for listening to me babble and I am very glad that there is a site like this to go to for answers and understanding.
Hyde
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-09-2004, 05:56 PM

I'm so sorry to hear about your troubles, Hyde.

It's terrible to get such news and have no preparation for it.

The good news is it sounds like they caught it early and your doctor is taking it with the urgency it deserves. It's terrible to find out that you can't have children, even if you had not planned on having them. I'm only 38 and just had my procedure last month. It's an odd feeling to have that option taken away from you.

I'm sure you have lots and lots of questions about the procedure and you'll also find that there are plenty of helpful, knowlegeable women in the Cancer Concerns forum as well.

Take care and be well!
Unread 09-09-2004, 06:23 PM

Hyde,

You came to the right place for comfort!

There are no words for me to say about what you are going through....but I hope you know you now have many, many "sisters" to stand by you.

Sending Zen hugs and best wishes your direction, Hyde. My thoughts will be with you!

Love & Laughter,

Bella
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-09-2004, 09:43 PM

just last night i was watching a story on Discovery Health that was about a young couple (late 20's) who were getting ready to start a family. The wife went to get her well OBGYN physical to make sure she was healthy enough to start a family and it turned out she had cervical cancer. She and her husband found a physician (not the exact one they wanted as he had passed away) at Johns Hopkins who had planned on doing a partial hysterectomy (only taking half of her uterus). Unfortunately when the dr got in to her body he realized the cancer had spread to her uterus so he had to do a hysterectomy, though he was able to save her ovaries so she could biologically still have children through surogacy. The Dr. moved her ovaries up higher into her abdomen so incase she needed radiation treatment it wouldnt effect her eggs. Her sister ended up being the surrogate and everything turned out fine with the babies (ended up having twins). I know having children isnt currently in your plans however you never know down the road, thats why i mentioned that part of the story. When her babies were 6 months old she had a repeat Pap test done along with a CT scan and she was still cancer-free. She has to have repeat Pap tests and CT scans for several years to make sure the cancer hasnt returned. Her Dr gives her a good prognosis since the cancer was caught early and she was still cancer-free 1.5-2 yrs after surgery (cant remember the exact time frame). With medicine being as it is today and with womens issues/diseases being researched and studied moreso than they used to be, along with women being more proactive in their own healthcare, the survival rate has increased dramatically.
Hopefully this story brought you a hint of comfort. Also, dont hesitate to find the best oncologist there is in your area (or elsewhere) to take charge of your case; you deserve the best.
Stay well
diana

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register