Is family history of breast cancer a risk factor for ovarian cancer? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is family history of breast cancer a risk factor for ovarian cancer? Is family history of breast cancer a risk factor for ovarian cancer?

Unread 08-23-2005, 07:21 AM
Is family history of breast cancer a risk factor for ovarian cancer?

Hello Navi

I have just had a TVH but kept my ovaries. I have a family history of breast cancer (my Nanna) also my sister had ovarian cancer at the age of 33. My doctor was made aware that my sister had o.c. he made sure he had a good look at my ovaries and also I had the CA125 blood test before my surgery but he did not recommend that he take my ovaries. Perhaps one factor in that is that I am under 50, I am 43. He did recommend that I have annual blood tests and ultrasounds of my ovaries following the surgery.

I'm sorry but I don't really know how much your risk increases but I do know that it does increase somewhat with the family history.

I hope you manage to get the advice you need to make this important decision. Good Luck with your surgery & recovery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-23-2005, 04:19 PM

This is a tough decision due to the lack of information about what this really means to women in their 50's and beyond. Donna Shoupe's article may be a few years old but it does discuss the importance of our ovaries past menopause. Best wishes in making your decision and in having a speedy recovery.
Unread 08-23-2005, 04:31 PM

Here's an article on another site that was posted earlier on another thread. There's mention in here about associated risks of ovarian cancer with a history of breast cancer. Lots of other interesting info too.

http://www.ohanlan.com/total_laparo.htm

HollyK
Unread 08-23-2005, 05:17 PM

I had my surgery at age 52 and my doctor told me he was going to take my ovaries.
Unread 08-23-2005, 05:20 PM

Holly K.,
Thank you for the link from ohanlan. I read it and then printed it out to take to my pre-op appt with several areas highlighted. I don't know who Kate Ohanlan is but if my doctor concurs this just made my decision to go ahead with the BSO part of the surgery too.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register