Another Ovary question (at 55 keeping ovaries post-menopause) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Another Ovary question (at 55 keeping ovaries post-menopause) Another Ovary question (at 55 keeping ovaries post-menopause)

Unread 03-27-2013, 09:04 PM
Another Ovary question (at 55 keeping ovaries post-menopause)

Would love to hear from any postmenopausal women who kept ovaries. Did you have to debate with doctor. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2013, 09:29 PM
Re: Another Ovary question (at 55 keeping ovaries post-menopause)

Anomar777,

I was 55 when I had my hyster and elected to have my ovaries removed. My doc gave me the option to keep them, no argument either way, but he recommended removing them at my age. I was still having periods so wasn't yet menopausal.

It seems to have been a good choice for me. I feel much better on HRT than I did on my own ovarian hormones. That's me and I wouldn't recommend one decision or the other based on my experience.

Your ovaries produce hormones long after menopause and they are important for general good health. HRT works well for me but that isn't necessarily always the case and they can be expensive.

Sorry I can't help you as someone who kept my ovaries. Maybe someone will come along who did.

Unread 03-29-2013, 01:24 AM
Re: Another Ovary question (at 55 keeping ovaries post-menopause)

Hi Anomar777! Like Pattypat I was over fifty and had both my ovaries removed. I had my Hysto just on 2 and a half weeks ago. I hadn't had a period for the last 3 years and originally my surgeon said, we'll try to keep your ovaries as Pattypat said, for hormonal reasons. After discussion with my family doctor, it was decided because of my previous medical hystory of a Pancreatic tumor and already pre-menopausal, the ovaries and cervix (had a hystory of cervical cysts) would also be removed. Again, like Pattypat, no arguement from the doc. He said he was satisfied that I had discussed it and thought it through logically and both he and I were comfortable with the decision. I still have occasional hot flushes as I did pre-surgery and my family doctor discussed the pros and cons of having the ovaries removed especially for me since my previous medical history does not allow me to have HRT. But, I am happy that I don't have to stress about anything turning nasty (I had multiple fibroids in the wall of my uterus) as did my pancreatic cyst to tumor and I just know that I have to look after myself and be aware of my eating habits and lifestyle choices, exercising etc. Hope this helps and I'm sure you'll get some responses from sisters who have kept theirs. Take care and hugs, xoxo.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register