Things moving fast and scared to death | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Things moving fast and scared to death Things moving fast and scared to death

Unread 03-23-2012, 10:48 AM
Things moving fast and scared to death

I'm new to the form. I am pre-op. I am scheduled for April 17. Its hitting home hard. Most times I'm ok most of the time but when it hits I'm a basket case. My family has a gene mutation that increases the possibility for cancer. I knew that there was a possibility that I had the mutation for sometime now, but I was tested a little more than a month ago. It came back that I was positive for the mutation. Now thing are moving. Talked to the Dr. and set up the date. Nothing has been found but I don't really see a reason to wait. My periods have always been heavy and painful, so the relief of that will be a bonus but I am nervous. I want to be fully recovered by October as I would like to go hunting with my father and husband. All of the post hysterectomy issues are screaming in the back of my head and wont shut up.
Any and all support will be welcome. I know this is the right decision but the tears wont stop.

Legna Revlis (silver angel)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2012, 10:59 AM
Re: Things moving fast and scared to death

Hi,
It's normal to be nervous and emotional, it's major surgery you're facing! I had my hysterectomy because of a cancer risk too, so I understand a little of what you're feeling. I guess the best advice I can give you is to be prepared: ask your doctor well in advance any questions you may have; get you family ready for the fact that you won't be able to do much for a few weeks and that you'll need help in the home etc. Don't be afraid to cry - it will help you deal with it and move on! All situations are different but, two months after my operation I'm almost completely back to normal apart from a little tiredness and the odd ache when I do too much. By October I imagine you'll be just fine!
Wishing you lots of luck,
Christina
Unread 03-23-2012, 11:24 AM

No wonder you feel scared and overwhelmed! This is a big deal!

Think, though, that a few years ago these cancer markers hadnt been discovered yet, and women at risk were in the dark. You have the opportunity to do something proactive for your health. And you'll do it. You'll get through it

Keep us posted so we know how youre doing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2012, 04:56 PM

Thanks for the support. I am thankful that the marker was found. It is amazing that medicine has come so far that we can find genetic markers. I can do something to reduce my chances. Mentally I know I am doing the right thing. Emotionally I am so not ok. I know I will be ok and everything will be ok in time. I am having a hard time coming to terms with what is happening.
It is a little fast, but there really isn't a reason to wait and a whole lot of reasons not to wait. Most of my support group is very supportive, but there are a few who don't seem to understand my reasoning and so it makes it a little more difficult. Its the reason I went looking for a support group.
I'm glad you all are here. Thanks
Unread 03-25-2012, 06:57 PM

So glad you found us. You are definitely in the right place to find the support that you need. I'm so sorry to hear that you have to go through this, but it is great that you are able to do something BEFORE things get bad!! Everyone is different and we all did not, or are not having this surgery for the same reasons, but we all understand what everyone is going through.

It is completely normal for you to be emotional and nervous. This isn't an easy journey and it is a very emotional one. None of us took this decision lightly, but we all have to do what we have to do! Just know that you are not alone and we will be here every step of the way throughout your journey.

Come here as often as you need, lean on us, that is what we are here for!!

to you in your upcoming surgery!!!

Unread 03-25-2012, 07:25 PM

Hi ... I'm 4 weeks post op and cant believe how well things have gone. I had a TAH (think that's right!) but left the ovaries. I went to see the gyno on a Wednesday and was booked 10 days later for surgery, although the total journey was about 3 years. Unfortunately the fybriods had grown so large I had to have the abdominal surgery which left me regretting not acting sooner ... but ... no point wasting time on that thought.

This site was great to learn some of the things that I'd go thru - eg no-one else explained that I'd wake with a catheter (which was no where near as bad as I thought ... nor was its removal) or TEDS and something massaging both my ankles! Oh yeah ... and I had a student nurse give me my first ever enema which was also her first! I held her by the shoulders, looked her in the eye and told her 'we can do this!'. We both laughed and guess what ... we both did it!

If you get the offer of a little pre-med tablet .. take it. If not ... ask for it. I had a shower and slipped into bed ... kind of remember being wheeled out of my room, given a warm blanked ... I think they asked me to 'shimmy?" over from one bed to another ... next thing I was back in my room looking at my husband and Mum. Pain meds are great. Cried a bit on day 2 and 3 but was quickly given some more meds to help settle things down. I walked the hospital corridors as much as possible with lots of rests in between. I was even pacing one morning at about 3.00am along the length of my bed trying to get the wind to move ... but that was really the worst of it and still quite bearable.

My biggest fear was really the fear itself. I think we're actually a lot tougher than we realised ... but you will need lots and lots of rest time. It's hard to explain, and I know one time in week 2 I was saying to my Mum I cant believe how well I feel ... but I have read and read and read ... thank goodness for the Harry Potter series.

Good luck for your surgery. I know it's easy to say but if you can think really positive thoughts about your time in hospital and your recovery, I think this helps alot. After all, there's not much to be gained in thinking things will be tough when they very well might be just fine ...
Unread 03-25-2012, 08:05 PM

Thanks for the insight. It helps. I am having everything removed. It is a little daunting but it is for the best. My biggest fear is being hormonally crazy afterwards. It is a little scary as I don't want to be the individual who bites someones head off for saying hi because my hormones are out of whack. I'm sure things will work out eventually, so I am working hard at not working my self over with crazy what ifs. I know I will get there.
Unread 03-25-2012, 09:45 PM

Hi again

I was really reluctant to do this, but after suffering major mood swings (and yet feeling that my life was really pretty fantastic!) i eventually decided to try some antidepressants. I'm on Lovan, small dose, and find they are an absolute wonder. I went off them a few months ago for a few weeks ... And well, let's just say I'm back on them now and my husband even brings me my little pill first thing every morning. Just to keep in mind ...
Unread 03-25-2012, 10:52 PM

Thanks RhonF,
I am looking into antidepressants, I just have to be careful. First not all of them work right for me (a walking zombie is not any better than the crazy lady). Second I get migraines and most migraine medications cannot be taken with most antidepressants. We (my doctor and I) have to look into which ones do not have bad reactions to each other. We get to wait and see.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register