Upcoming hysterectomy on the 12th and haven't spoken to my insurance company - should I? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy on the 12th and haven't spoken to my insurance company - should I? Upcoming hysterectomy on the 12th and haven't spoken to my insurance company - should I?

Unread 07-08-2017, 11:39 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy on the 12th and haven't spoken to my insurance company - should I?

This may seem like a dumb question, but I haven't heard from my insurance company. Do I need to contact them? I've never contacted them ahead of anything else (but, I've never had major surgery). Does everyone talk to insurance first?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-08-2017, 11:53 AM
Re: 7/12 hysterectomy date is quickly approaching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsterdoodle View Post
This may seem like a dumb question, but I haven't heard from my insurance company. Do I need to contact them? I've never contacted them ahead of anything else (but, I've never had major surgery). Does everyone talk to insurance first?

I don't know.
I met my surgeon Tuesday, he said call the pre-op place Thursday b/c for sure they would have my insurance approval. I was sweating it, the pre-op lady was like, relax, it happens all the time. Lol
Me calling my insurance and getting the approval number Friday was not enough, the pre-op place had to get it from the civilian hospital where the surgery was taking place, so they didn't get it until Monday. It WAS enough time, just.

We're military and I find our insurance easy to call to check on referrals and authorizations so I just did it. I did get a letter in the mail that Saturday with the authorization too,
Unread 07-08-2017, 04:30 PM
Re: Question - surgery the 12th and haven't spoken to my insurance company - should I?

My Doc told me that my insurance required a pre-approval, not sure about your insurance though. It was an aggravating process for me as they initially denied me. Finally after a "Peer to Peer" my Doc got them to approve it. It wouldn't hurt to ask the hospital to make sure they have gotten any approvals that are needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-08-2017, 05:41 PM
Re: Question - surgery the 12th and haven't spoken to my insurance company - should I?

I didnt have any contact at all with my ins co regarding the surgery, the dr or hospital took care of everything.
Unread 07-08-2017, 05:44 PM

Hi Hamsterdoodle -

The doctor should contact the insurance company to get approval prior to surgery. You normally do not have to do anything. If you are concerned, contact the doctor's office.

Unread 07-08-2017, 07:42 PM

The hospital, surgeon should take care of prior auths.

I have <> primary and <> secondary and the hospital did the paperwork. Of course since cancer is the reason I'm having the surgery it was kinda a no brainer
Unread 07-08-2017, 07:49 PM

no, your dr will take care of everything. if something wasnt approved, your dr's office would let you know.
Unread 07-08-2017, 07:59 PM

The first dr I saw had gotten the pre-approval before even the first appointment, before I had even heard her recommend LaVH. It really sent up a big red flag when I was handed a consent forms to sign, and told it was pre approved BEFORE she even heard any opinions I had, or even had a history and diagnosis. Lol, that appointment was like walking into fast-freddies used car lot.

Ya, she got fired.

But at least the Ins co was easy to deal with... there is that for a good part

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register