Pain & bleeding from vaginal stitches at 9 weeks post hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain & bleeding from vaginal stitches at 9 weeks post hysterectomy Pain & bleeding from vaginal stitches at 9 weeks post hysterectomy

Unread 01-27-2022, 11:22 AM
Pain & bleeding from vaginal stitches at 9 weeks post hysterectomy

Had robotic procedure, was told I also had an accidental laceration in my vagina that required stitches. Can't find much online about vaginal tears that aren't the perineum. Mine runs up my left side wall, and is at least an inch long.
Was cleared for penetration after 8 weeks. Tried two small fingers briefly a few days ago, went ok, but felt a little sore. Finally explored in there myself today, two fingers, scar feels like a little mountain range! Tried penetration briefly with a "small/average male" size soft silicone dildo, had immediate bright red bleeding and stopped. Messaged my dr and am waiting reply. Bleeding stopped, but I'm frustrated. I keep being told I shouldn't be in pain and should be able to do all the things.
I still have pain in my incision sites, I can feel the "route", the left one especially. It was just finally improving, then orgasm last week flared the left side up and hurt for days. I have added stretching back in, I got lazy for a minute there, think it might be scar tissue, so I'm working to prevent adhesions. Any thoughts or shared experience appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2022, 06:07 AM
Re: Pain & bleeding from vaginal stitches at 9 wks

One of the hardest things to understand around is just how long this recovery takes. We've had major surgery with lots of internal incisions which accompanied the organ removal. All of it needs healing. There's nothing magical about our 6 or 8 week exam and release dates - all that really means is that we're no longer under our doctors' watch post-surgery. Full healing can take more months, like 4, 6 or more. When we are told we can resume all activities, it doesn't mean it's wise to dive into the deep end. The key to getting back into your activities is to do so gradually, and noting any feedback from your body, whether it's pain, dull aches, spotting. I didn't fully buy into it either, until I had a few more months in the rear view mirror.

Incision wounds, which include the your vaginal laceration, aren't very elastic when they first heal. The cellular matrix is still cross-linking and filling in. Wounds can be bumpy, a little hard and tight. That's probably why your vaginal wound feels like a mountain range. I had emergency abdominal surgery almost a year ago, and the bottom part of the incision is still lumpy and tight (it is improving).

That your bleeding has stopped is cautiously optimistic. I think a call into your doctor is a good move. You could have some granulation going on too - scar tissue over a part of the wound which is not allowing it to heal properly, and the penetration may have irritated or loosened it enough to cause bleeding. Your doctor can check for that, and if so, an in-office treatment of silver nitrate may be used to cauterize the granulation to allow that area to heal.

Regarding penetration, the soreness and irritation is something many of us do experience early on after we are cleared for sex and penetration. The tight tissues already mentioned, but also vaginal dryness due to a hormone imbalance. Even though you kept your ovaries, they can be offline for a number of weeks due to the trauma or possible compromised blood supply. That's what I had going on. First time with penetration I was quite dry and we didn't use any lubrication. I had burning and soreness for 3 days afterwards - I thought it was a yeast infection (it wasn't). Using lube with intercourse helped with that until my ovaries got back up to speed at somewhere between 12-16 weeks. It's also pretty common to have a bit cramping after sex until we're more fully healed. Orgasm engages our pelvic region, increasing blood flow to the area, and sometimes it's like doing 100 crunches. That should get better with time too.

Let us know what your doctor says.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register