Post-Op Questions - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post-Op Questions Post-Op Questions

Unread 10-23-2006, 08:34 PM
Post-Op Questions

I had TAH/BSO (for large fibroids!) in July at a hospital about 40 miles away from home. I live alone with no friends or relatives nearby. However, my friends live near the hospital. I was released about 48 hours after surgery (2 overnights in the hospital). I checked into a hotel and stayed there for 12 days before coming home. The room had a microwave and a small refrigerator. My friends brought groceries and supplies and kept me company. I saw the doctor one week post-op to remove staples and check healing. I ended up staying a few more days in the hotel than originally planned, until my friend could drive me home. At 4 weeks post-op someone drove me from home back to the final dr. checkup (internal exam) and then I retrieved my car and drove myself home. That first drive of 40+ miles was doozy!! I did quite well alone at home after those first two weeks. I have had an easy recovery, with no complications.

Best Wishes!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-23-2006, 09:14 PM
Post-Op Questions

I was in the hospital 3 nights. They removed my staples the morning I was discharged. My first post op appt was at 2 weeks (only an external exam of the incision and discussion of path report). I have 6 week post op coming up where she will give me an internal exam.

I had all my appts scheduled prior to the surgery. My Dr had a great surgical scheduler who covered all the details including contacting the insurance co.

I only had a short ride home but felt vulnerable because I didn't have anything to really hold onto. I had a small pillow for my tummy but I could have used two pillows to wedge next to me on either side to help brace me.
Unread 10-24-2006, 10:14 AM
Post-Op Questions

Hello and thank you for all your answers!

The doctor's nurse said the usual stay is 3 to 5 days, but I am sure some go earlier and some stay longer.

I am in that peculiar position of wanting to stay longer because the insurance pays for it!

The hotel next to the hospital is very nice and charge about $90 a night for 2 Queen beds and a kitchen and couch area.

If I stay, my sister or my mother will be with me. I don't have to be alone.

After I feel like I can travel, I will be going to stay with my wonderful big sister. She lives about 30-35 miles away from the hospital.

Not only do I not wish to travel the 90 miles to home right off, but I have a house full of needy males there and I can't see me getting any proper nurturing. I love them, but they are all helpless. *SMILE*

I am taking time out today to write a list a questions to ask the doctor's nurse. This will take some bravery on my part, as she seems very busy and a bit short on patience. But I NEED to ask questions.

Big (((HUGS))) to you all!
Unread 10-24-2006, 11:06 AM
Post-Op Questions

Experience has taught me to not "ask" if you can ask the doctor questions but to say something like "I have some questions I need to ask you and I'll try to be brief."
No room for them to turn you down, and saying you "need" to ask is better than "I WANT". The "brief" part shows them that you recognize they are busy. It's certainly worked for me!
Unread 10-24-2006, 11:11 AM
Post-Op Questions

I went in to see my doctor with a whole list of written questions and kept him until they were all answered. The way I see it is we are the clients and it is his job to keep the client happy not the other way around. It is about time we were more assertive with the medical profession instead of grateful all the time.
Unread 10-24-2006, 11:13 AM
Questions!

I handed the surgeon a list of typed questions... at least 20... at my pre-op meeting with him. He sat there and answered each and every question, as I made notes on my copy!! I highly recommend it... I was very confident going into surgery once I heard the answers straight from him.
Unread 10-24-2006, 01:59 PM
Post-Op Questions

I can only tell you my experience. I had a TAH/BSO on 10-9 and have a vertical incision. I was ready to go home on 10-13 but ended up with an infection and was released on the afternoon of 10-14. I was worried about the 1.5 hour ride home but did well. My incision stops just above where the lap part of the seat belt goes and the top part is just below where the shoulder part of the belt rests on my belly so no problems with the seat belt. I had my 43 staples out 10 days post-op(another 1.5 ride each way) no problems there either. I go for my 6week check up on 11-16. I have only been out of the house one other time since having staples out last week. I have a lunch date tomorrow and Saturday I am so excited to get out. But am otherwise taking things very slow.
Unread 10-24-2006, 02:50 PM
Post-Op Questions

Hi.
I just had my surgery and stayed in the hospital 2 nights and I have what my doctor calls internal staples. They will dissolve. I have a post -op appt at 2 wks. So no staples to remove. I only live minutes from hospital, so no real issues there. I did have to take a drive looking for my daughter (will save that story for another board) so did have to drive around town the 2nd night I was home. I did ok, but wore me out. My pillow was my friend that night. My incision is about 7 - 8 inches (I think). Best wishes!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register