Scheduled TVH Catheter & Bladder Infections after Hysterectomy - Have MS | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Catheter & Bladder Infections after Hysterectomy - Have MS Catheter & Bladder Infections after Hysterectomy - Have MS

Unread 06-08-2014, 05:53 PM
Catheter & Bladder Infections after Hysterectomy - Have MS

Hi all. I was wondering if anyone has developed a UTI from having the catheter for their hysterectomy. I've never had a catheter before, even for past major surgeries. My doctor said he can remove it about midnight after the surgery if I want because most women sleep through the rest of the night and don't need to get up to pee. Otherwise he'd leave it in for about 24 hours. Almost guaranteed I will have to pee multiple times through the night, though. I have MS, which means my bladder is a bit overactive and I am also very highly prone to UTI's. Any experiences with this or suggestions to avoid any problems? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-10-2014, 08:16 PM
Re: Catheter & Bladder Infections after Hysterectomy

I did not have a problem with UTI after my catheter. But, I am not prone to them and I do not have MS.

Unread 06-11-2014, 01:24 AM
Re: Catheter & Bladder Infections after Hysterectomy - Have MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapCracklePop View Post
Hi all. I was wondering if anyone has developed a UTI from having the catheter for their hysterectomy. I've never had a catheter before, even for past major surgeries. My doctor said he can remove it about midnight after the surgery if I want because most women sleep through the rest of the night and don't need to get up to pee. Otherwise he'd leave it in for about 24 hours. Almost guaranteed I will have to pee multiple times through the night, though. I have MS, which means my bladder is a bit overactive and I am also very highly prone to UTI's. Any experiences with this or suggestions to avoid any problems? Thanks.

I had a bladder sling done at the time of my hysterectomy. The scope knicked my urethra which resulted in a big blood clot in my bladder and clogging the catheter. I ended up staying in the hospital for 3 days and kept the catheter in. A week later....fever, pain, difficulty urinating, bladder spasms. Called the Dr. office, tells me to go to the ER. Diagnosis: BAD UTI.

I'm hoping you don't have any issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-11-2014, 11:03 AM

I was worried about the catheter as well and being able to pee after! I knew they were also injecting dye and doing a scope to inspect mine after my hysterectomy and it would be a little more disturbed.

After they removed it I didn't have to pee for about 5hours and went-it is different for a bit, you have to consciously relax and release, but I have been fine. Drink copious amounts of water! It makes your bladder happy.

best of luck xo,
Unread 06-11-2014, 04:06 PM

I had a Catheter and for the first day my urine was blue because they put iodine in me. They did it to keep me from getting an infection. It was so funny, I was coming out of anesthesia and saw blue urine, I yelled why is my urine blue what's wrong with me. Every time I think about it, it makes me laugh.
Unread 06-11-2014, 04:48 PM

I have had several catheters before with other surgery's and I will have another one on Friday I have MS too I will let you know how things go I do know they are giving me steroids after the procedure to help fight off a relapse just incase and they will be giving me medication for a uti just in case because they don't want me to have problems I had to get a medical clearance from both my primary and my nero before surgery
Unread 06-12-2014, 02:48 PM

Thanks everyone. Oh my, blue pee! That's too funny. I would not mind that at all if it helps avoid a nasty UTI. I expect there will be plenty of bladder spasms after the surgery anyway, and I sure don't want anything to add to that misery.

I had a really horrible gall bladder problem years ago that resulted in nearly a month stay in a hospital when it was finally removed. I suspect the two months of recovery after that are similar to what I will feel after the hysterectomy. The incisions healed quickly, but the internal swelling took a long time to calm down.

I am planning to ask my gyn to write up the prescription to treat a UTI so that it's ready if/when I need it. If I get it in me quickly enough there won't be much pain to worry about. And obviously if I don't get the UTI, I don't need to fill the prescription. Better to be safe, IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolann14 View Post
I have had several catheters before with other surgery's and I will have another one on Friday I have MS too I will let you know how things go I do know they are giving me steroids after the procedure to help fight off a relapse just incase and they will be giving me medication for a uti just in case because they don't want me to have problems I had to get a medical clearance from both my primary and my nero before surgery
Sorry to hear that. Not a fun illness, that's for sure. (Oh, but you look SO good, right? lol. I get told that constantly once people know my diagnosis). All the best for your surgery tomorrow, and yes, please do keep us updated as to your recovery. *hugs*

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register