Handicap Sticker? Getting back to work... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Handicap Sticker? Getting back to work... Handicap Sticker? Getting back to work...

Unread 07-09-2008, 06:01 PM
Handicap Sticker? Getting back to work...

This may seem a little overboard, but I am wondering if I should request a short term sticker.

I am having a TAH abdominal next week. I only had three weeks to get used to the idea...so, I am scrambling to understand what I won't be able to do and what I will.

I've never had surgery and I've typically been more the care-taker. Asking me not to bend, lift or push for even a day is going to be an issue for me...so, I am trying to make it as easy as possible.

I thought I would ask if I could get a temporary handicap sticker for when I COULD drive for a few situations. I'm not sure this is going overboard, but I will have to return to driving my kid to school and getting back to work as soon as restrictions are lifted!?! A couple of my routine stops have hikes up hills/several steps if I can't get a parking place close to the door. It can be a strenuous trek (especially, the hill) without having to deal with recovery...

Also, any suggestions on pillows? I've read about having a tummy pillow...ok, now I am wondering if I should get a wedge for working in bed and a co-worker suggested something to prop up knees.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-09-2008, 07:32 PM

ITGal,

Not sure about the sticker - discuss this with your doctor. Right now I am 2 weeks into recovery and DH is handling all transportation for the foreseeable future. There has to be something good about him being out of work now, right ?

As far as pillows, I highly recommend a nice soft body pillow (or even 2). I use these for extra support when sitting up in bed, or wedge one under my knees when needed, and they even enabled me to sleep on my side comfortably when I came home from the hospital. I got mine for less than $10 at Bed Bath and Beyond. I also purchased two new fluffy pillows for bed, but they were more so DH didn't feel left out, LOL.
Unread 07-09-2008, 07:53 PM

I had my TAH on July 1, and should be released to drive Friday when the dr takes the stiches out (so about 10 days with no driving, for an estimate). I honestly don't feel too bad this far out, and feel best when walking around. So, the walking may not bother you at all. It is worth it to talk to your doctor about it, if it bothers you. A warning, though: you may be through recovery by the time the paperwork clears!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-09-2008, 07:55 PM

I don't think you should go back to work until you're ready. If you need a handicap sticker, you aren't ready. I think those spaces should be reserved for the truly handicapped (people in wheelchairs, people with breathing problems, etc.) Ask your doctor to give you a little extra recovery time. You only get one chance to heal right, and this is it.
Unread 07-09-2008, 08:02 PM

I agree with hyster sister Catherine. If you feel you need a handicap sticker, you should take more time to recover. Take it easy and have somebody run your errands while you rest.
Unread 07-09-2008, 09:16 PM

Thanks everyone for the input... I didn't think about the paperwork....so its probably a moot point.

Yes, I generally plan to make sure I can recover before tackling much....but my child will still have to go to school (no bus avail). Work may be a little more flexible but I have limited leave I can afford to take. Right now, I opt to walk and I opt to take the stairs when I can. But I am also notorious for pushing myself too hard. In the case of the school, if I can't get a regular parking space, then it is a terrible, rocky hike from the "extra" lot. I guess that is my biggest worry...and chances are the school would probably be fine with my parking there during dropoff since there are no other handicapped families that use them.

I am having large fibroids removed along with the TAH. I've been told that I will have a longish recovery (yet, I don't have anything to compare it to). All I know is that he strongly suggested that I make every effort to ease my daily tasks....and after 1 week, that is not going to be via my hubby! The problem is that I can't figure out HOW to do that yet. I just hope I figure it all out before I get that nice long cut down my belly :-)
Unread 07-09-2008, 09:25 PM

I don't think you will need a temp handicap sticker. Walking is strongly encouraged post-op, just a little at a time to start with, but with parking at a store or somewhere else, you shouldn't have to worry about it.
Unread 07-09-2008, 10:13 PM

Just make yourself be careful. CAREFUL walking is OK, but you will not feel good if you walk or overdue it. Healing will take longer if you are not careful. Long distance is still not good for me (groc. store, etc.) I felt bad after a long trip with hubby to the groc. store last week. I am five weeks post op today.
Unread 07-10-2008, 04:40 AM

I am going to go against the flow here.. and tell you that I DID get a temporary handicapped sticker.

I got one because my son's college had their freshman parents weekend 2 1/2 weeks after my surgery, and while I did need to walk.. they didn't want me to wear myself out. His campus is very spread out.

It wasn't hard to get the sticker (actually here they are hang tags..) I called my regular doctors office and they filled out the forms. I picked up the forms and took them to the drive-thru window at whatever agency handles it here.. i can't recall the name. Took maybe 10 minutes total. I got them after I was able to start driving. It maybe different for people in larger towns/cities.

I didn't abuse the use of the hang tag.. only when I knew the walking was going to be over my energy limits. Most of the time I used regular parking.

Hope this helps.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register