What will I feel like doing during recovery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What will I feel like doing during recovery? What will I feel like doing during recovery?

Unread 08-22-2011, 06:31 PM
What will I feel like doing during recovery?

I plan on wandering around the house (to get my walking in) and watching bunches of TV and reading, but will I feel like doing anything else? I used to like to cross-stitch, knit and crochet. Will I be mentally capable of doing these things? If so I need to get them out of storage before the big day!

I know we will all heal differently, but I'm wondering what you ladies think.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-22-2011, 06:44 PM
Re: What will I feel like doing during recovery?

The first couple of days you will probably want to just sit and watch TV, mess around on the computer a little bit and do little walks, but that will probably be about it. It's hard to get comfortable and once you do you don't want to move!

After that you will want to do more, but you're limited for sure with no lifting, moving things etc. I found myself wishing a couple of days ago that I knew how to knit, at least I could be productive. I have magazines that I look through and get ideas on what I want to cook when I can stand for longer periods and bend and all that good stuff.

I have a new book that I started but am having a hard time focusing right now, I think I still have a fuzzy brain from the intubation and all the meds I was on at first. Just don't over do it, you don't want to have to start over again because you pulled stitches out or ripped something.
Unread 08-22-2011, 06:49 PM

Thanks undone!

I don't want to do anything that will make recovery harder, that is why I was thinking knitting or cross-stitching. The only problem is that I'm not that great at them and they take a little concentration. If I have the same fuzzy brain problem you do I'll probably just stick to TV! (and I'm sure I will since I'm super sensitive to medications!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-23-2011, 11:06 AM

If you're anything like me, you'll probably feel too fuzzy-headed to do anything that requires concentration for about the first week. I couldn't even read, so a friend brought me some comic books. I was getting really sick of TV.

After the first week or so, the fuzziness wears off and then you should be able to enjoy reading, knitting, etc. And it's great to have an activity that you can do sitting on the couch or propped up in bed for long stretches of time.
Unread 08-23-2011, 02:58 PM

I had a really hard time focusing the first couple of weeks. I tried to read, but everything was blurry. I watched a lot of DVD's. I had a nice collection of chick flicks and just enjoyed my pampering. Once the fuzziness went away, I read some and got on here to see how everyone was doing. Now, I'm an addict!! LOL

I would say, you will probably want to get your stuff out of storage before the big day so you have something to do that isn't physically demanding. Take your time healing!!

Best of luck to you in your surgery and I hope you have a speedy recovery!!!!
Unread 08-23-2011, 06:22 PM

I am 5 days post-op today and have not done anything other than watch TV and sleep, this is the first day that I have even felt like opening the laptop. I have been very dizzy and it is hard to concentrate so I can't even read right now. Just take it easy when you come home and relax as much as you can, take it one day at a time. I wish you the best...God Bless!
Unread 08-23-2011, 07:30 PM

My first two days home I got tired out from answering one email a day, but I walked a few laps around the house (indoors). Since then I have watched some movies, done some light reading, showered & washed my hair, received visitors, got my own breakfast and sometimes lunch, let the dog out and back in.

How you feel may be similar or different, so you might want to have things by your bed or the sofa that you'd like to do; then they'll be there when you feel up to it.

Unread 08-23-2011, 09:36 PM

My first two weeks I spent mostly in bed napping and watching tv. I began cross stitching at about 3 weeks but was only able to do a half hour at a time. I got a lot of books but haven't read any of them, it takes too much concentration. I would get your crafts out now. You may not be able to work on them for a few weeks but once your ready, you won't be able to rummage around to get them out.
Unread 08-23-2011, 10:27 PM

Great question and great responses. Thank you!
Unread 08-24-2011, 08:10 AM

I agree with the others, it is better to have something available and not need it than to really want it but not have it.

In the beginning I slept and watched tv, not any shows that you had to really focus on to get what was going on, more like those court tv shows or something.

I myself got bored very quickly so I ended up reading the Mitford series of books, I believe it was 9 books, until I could sit up long enough to be at my computer. In the beginning sitting here for 5 minutes was to much. It took much longer to get back to quilting. I bought some yarn figuring I could crochet, lol, nevermind the fact that I am not very good at that hehe. I did get it into a ball ready to be used at least

Anyway, like I said, it's better to have more activities to choose from than have nothing

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register