Confused | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-22-2002, 09:35 AM
Confused

HI LADIES,

I'M CONFUSED...I AM HAVING A LAVH ON 5/17 AND I THINK I WILL BE HAVING MY OVARIES REMOVED. I HAVE SEVERE PMS AND THE DR SAYS IF I KEEP MY OVARIES I WILL STILL HAVE PMS. NOW I'M THINKING IF I START HRT WONT I STILL HAVE PMS BECAUSE OF THE HORMONES????PLEASE HELP
THANKS MUCH,
CHERYL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2002, 10:08 AM
Confused

Hi, Cheryl! Well, you would have steady levels of hormones so that you wouldn't have the ups and downs from the cycles. But some women have great difficulty finding the right type and dose of HRT to make them feel good, so you may be trading one hormone problem for another! If your ovaries are still healthy, you might want to keep them since they will probably keep producing hormones for you for 5 years or more. You could ask your dr to examine your ovaries during your surgery to see if they still look healthy. The HRT and ovary decisions are the most sticky ones, and each woman is different. It sounds like you are doing your research, which is great. s and best wishes!
Ruthie
Unread 04-22-2002, 10:11 AM
Confused

Hormone fluctuation is the cause of PMS. With HRT, the dose is the same everyday. I had severe PMS, had the ovaries out and am now very happily off of PMS drugs and feeling wonderful every day!
Unread 04-22-2002, 11:28 AM
Confused

THANKS LADIES FOR YOUR INPUT...THAT EXPLAINS ALOT.

CHERYL
Unread 04-22-2002, 11:33 AM
Keeping the ovaries

My ovaries will not be removed. One of the worries I had about losing my ovaries was osteoporosis. However, that's one less thing I have to worry about since mine will be left intact.
Unread 04-22-2002, 11:44 AM
Confused

Hi Cheryl!

I was on HRT before I had a hyster *I kept my ovaries*. I had mood swings like you wouldn't believe! I don't know what was going on with my hormones, but they needed "adjusting" is what I was told by the first doctor. I was put on Premarin and then Prempro. It's hard to see what's going on when you are not in peri-menopause, which is what they thought was my problem.

Keeping your ovaries is a very personal decision. My age and the age my mom went through menopause had a lot to do with if I would keep them or not. I had the doctor look at them during surgery. As you can see in my signature, I was lucky enough to keep them!

Sara

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register