Hyst incision at C-section scar | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hyst incision at C-section scar Hyst incision at C-section scar

Unread 04-28-2002, 04:43 AM
Hyst incision at C-section scar

I noticed some of you ladies have had hyst at the same site as c-section scar. I am reading that the hyst takes much more time to recover from than the C-section. Do you mean the pain takes longer to go away or you tire more easily, or both? I thought this would be a piece of cake since I was experienced with the c-section. BUMMER. Can someone also explain internal stitches vs. staples? I had staples with my C-section. A very unpleasant nurse removed them the day I went home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2002, 05:23 AM

I never had a c-section, so I can't compare the pain factor, but can answer some of your questions. The outside scar is about the same, but so much more work is done internally with the hyst. In the c-section, the belly and uterus are cut, and then the baby is removed - remember the baby is supposed to come out. With the hyst, there are many internal incisions made, ligaments are re-attached and a major organ is removed, so there is much more internal healing that must take place.

I had a TAH/BSO with the bikini incision and internal stitches. There were steri strips applied to the outside of my incision. These strips began to come off at about 2 weeks post-op, and I was then told I could remove the remaining strips.

Best of luck to you.
Unread 04-28-2002, 05:26 AM

The reason it is harder/longer to recover is simply because more is done. With a c-section they are only taking out a baby and sewing back up the small cut they remove the baby from the uterus and stitching back up the outside also. With a hysterectomy (ofcourse depending on your surgery to what degree all this is done) they are removing organ(s) (ie: uterus, possibly ovaries) and sometimes doing repairs also (on bladder, etc) -so it's TONS more stitches than say a routine c-section. I have read a lot on this online because mine might have ended up a hyst incision instead of vaginally (ended up vaginally though) and I had heard it was more than just like a c-section.

Anyways, through all my reading it is very clear that there is more cutting, removing an organ is way different than just removing a baby from said organ, lots more stitches, depending on what all you have or need done inside there could be even more to do with this surgery and more stitches/etc, and THEN the incision stitched up just like a c-section. So you see.. you are not just healing like a c-section since way more is done.

NOT saying that to scare you though. I would imagine in SOME ways it can be easier to heal afterwards- namely most hysterectomies don't end up with a baby to hold, possibly nurse on your stomach, lifting a baby, never getting any sleep because of said baby. And most c-sections have all that involved afterwards-yanno? Hopefully with your surgery you will be able to rest and take things easy and heal quickly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2002, 06:02 AM
Hyst vs C-Section Healing

I've had both a c-section (19 years ago) and a hyst (TAH - 4 weeks ago). While my c-section was quite some time ago, I can honestly tell you that I healed from it much more quickly than am from the TAH. The external incision has healed fast - it's just a pinkish line now. But internally I still feel the tenderness, swelling, occasional 'pinch' and aches that come with all the healing work that is taking place inside. It's not constantly present nor it is constantly uncomfortable - just the subtle and sometimes not so subtle) messages that my body is giving me as a reminder that it has just undergone major surgery.

Three weeks after my c-section I felt 'normal' (with the exception of the extra weight I had gained via the pregnancy). It has been over four weeks since my TAH and I'd say I'm feeling about 80%. Most of the 20% relates to my energy level. I tire easily and am typically in bed before 10pm when prior to my surgery I rarely missed the Letterman show. Yesterday I spent a lovely day with some of my friends from work. We did nothing strenuous - just chatted, ate (I drank only coffee and water), and sat out in the beautiful weather. By 3pm I was thoroughly exhausted and wanted nothing more than to lay down for a quick nap.

Not to be discouraging, but to warn you that you need to count on the fact that you're going to need lots of rest post-surgery. I feel a bit better each day, but it's slower than I'd like it to be (I was very active prior to my surgery). Of course, I'm sure that the fact that I'm 19 years older than the last time I had surgery might also have something to do with it too. :-)

Hope this helps! All the best to you for a successful surgery and recovery!
Unread 04-28-2002, 06:04 AM
C-section then hyst

Thanks for the info ladies. <grin> I guess there will be more pain with the hyst than with the C. Darn! Makes sense tho. Being older now then I was with my C might make a bit of a difference as well. Oh geesh. Guess I will heal as quickly as I am meant to!
Unread 04-28-2002, 06:05 AM

Hi,

In my experience with having 2 babies by c-section and a tubal with another cut on my belly, I bounced back easier from the hyster. I had a horizontal cut, vertical, vertical and horizontal. I don't know if I healed quicker from the hyst because I really wanted the surgery to be out of pain, because I didn't have a baby to care for or because I am just used to having the cuts and knew how to move my body from experience.

My kiddos are tons older than when I had my tubal, I had a 5 and 1 year old then. They are 17 and 13 now. I think a combination of everything had to do with easier healing. Plus, the knowledge I was armed with from this site! There wasn't anything like this when I had my babies all those years ago.

They did cut out a lot of scar tissue from the previous surgeries and he warned me that scar tissue forms in 24 hours. So, hopefully it's not attached to anything like before!

Everyone is totally different in this respect. I really didn't have a lot of pain. After surgery I was on a PCA pump with Morphine, but stopped taking that after a few hours. I had a little pain the day after surgery. I did take a Vicodin though as I had trouble sleeping that night, I was being released the next day!

I had staples, 19 of them, that went home with me on Friday. I was back at the doctors office on Tuesday to have them removed. No pain, but I was braced for it at the beginning. Then I had steri-strips for the next 10 days. I did notice myself healing quickly this time. I rested, drank tons of water and follow my drs. orders from the time I was in pre-op to the 6 week appt.

Hope this helps you,

Sara
Unread 04-28-2002, 07:18 AM

I had a c-section and they cut the same incision, I thought to myself, well I have been through that, so that incision is going to be nothing, and it isn't, just remember to brace your tummy, when you laugh or cough.

Yes the inside takes longer to heal, I really don't feel any pain, if I am up and around to much, I get sore and swell. And the doctor told me I would know if I over did it. But really no pain just soreness. He also told me for two weeks lay low, no lifting, laundry, cleaning anything!

It is the gas pain, arrggghh, so make sure you get something for it in the hospital, and walking helps get rid of it, as much as you can do, but don't over do it.

archide
Unread 04-28-2002, 07:55 AM

I too had two c-sections and a tubal prior to my hyst. I found it was much more uncomfortable with this last surgery, but nothing I couldn't handle. Resting and not overdoing it around the house helps the most. Pain isn't bad at all now - I quit taking the prescription meds after the first week (with the exception of an occasional one at bedtime). I can't believe I am already almost two weeks post op and feel really good!

Susan
Unread 04-29-2002, 09:59 AM

Good question!

I had 2 c-sections and was wondering the same thing.

I figured that the intenal would take longer to heal. I have been trying to remember how I moved (rolled over in bed, sat up from bed, etc) with my c's. It has been 10 years and the memories fade.

Take care
Unread 04-29-2002, 10:08 AM
Rolling out of bed

I was at a loss the first time I attempted to roll out of bed at the hospital but the nurse helped me to refresh my memory. You lay on your side and then push yourself up with your arms. It took a lot of effort at first, but then it was second nature.

In the hospital it was a little easier too because I would elevate the top of the bed to almost a sitting position - much less arm work required from that position! At home it took a little practice but it was fine after a couple of times.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register