do I or don't I? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

do I or don't I? do I or don't I?

Unread 05-02-2002, 02:37 PM
do I or don't I?

I have recently been diagnosed with Cervical Cancer Stage 0. Lab test results show the biopsied area can be removed using LEEP. HPV DNA results, however, classify me as High Risk for cervical cancer. I am 35, and am certain I no longer desire further pregnancies. My first two, at ages 26 and 27 were VERY complicated and after 3 months bedrest(from wk 22), I still delivered both my girls 4 to 5 weeks early due to High blood pressure and toxemia. For these reasons, I have also been told I "should not" have any further pregnancies. I also experience monthly back aches that are debilitating during ovulation and menstration. My bleeding has become VERY heavy and is only somewhat controlled with Ponstal. I would like to hear the pros and cons at this point of going ahead with a IUD removal, DNC, tubal and LEEP vs. a LAVH. I am aware of the seriousness of this surgery, but am also aware of the colposcopies, biopsies and constant observation needed in my future due to my High Risk HPV status. Please feel free to let me know what you think.
Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-02-2002, 02:47 PM
do I or don't I?

Hi Tuffy!

I am age 33 and had my TAH back in February due to heavy bleeding (adenomyosis) and bad pains as well. I did keep my ovaries (one did have a cyst on it that is being watched). If there were any cancer issues, I would not hesitate to have the surgery at all. I am so glad I did it, I feel so much better now. It is a long recovery, but worth it in the end. Good luck with your decision.

cyaple
Unread 05-03-2002, 03:48 PM
do I or don't I?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2002, 04:37 PM
Hi Tuffy

Thank you for posting and welcome to Hystersisters.

I cannot personally comment on all of the options you are considering. A cancer diagnosis can be scary. Although I believe grade 0 is carcinoma in situ which means it is contained. But as you indicated you would still need to undergo other procedures and be watched very carefully.
There is alot to be said for having the hysterectomy so you can proceed with your life with some peace of mind. I know you would not want to put yourself at any risk with 2 children to raise. Also, I would think you would be able to keep your ovaries as long as they are healthy. This would postpone menopause until you are later in life.
Please join us on the Cancer Concern forum there are many women there who can comment specifically about your diagnosis and what they have done.
You might also want to post on the Options and Alternatives forum . Some women there, especially those that have not had children, are seeking ways to avoid or delay hysterectomy.
You can also use the Purple Search Button in the upper right hand corner to search on the different procedures you are considering.
Keep reading and posting. There is alot of very helpful information here and tons of support.
Unread 05-04-2002, 12:50 AM
do I or don't I?

Hi Tuffy, I thought I would pop over and invite you to cancer concerns , a forum on hystersisters where there are alot of us who have had some experience with cancer. We have all been faced with the decision, that you are now facing .
It sounds like you have many reasons to have the hysterectomy and sounds like you are leaning towards it. Please remember that it is major surgery and before you make any decisions, read lots, ask questions , get Drs opinions and then you can make an informed decision that you are comfortable with.

That being said......I am happy that I had my hyster. I have had a few hiccoughs along the way ( read my story ) but I have never felt better. Usually a hysterectomy is all that is needed to remove the abnormal /cancerous cells, some girls have to have further treatments. Once you have a hysterectomy, it is still very important to have regular checkups especially if you have HPV because the virus can cause cancer anywhere on the vulval area.

I sure hope to see you over on cancer concerns. Please email me at anytime , hugs coming your way xxx

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register