Will I be up to softball tournment? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Will I be up to softball tournment? Will I be up to softball tournment?

Unread 05-19-2002, 05:30 PM
Will I be up to softball tournment?

Hi
Wow!! This is my first "public" message. I have read so many messages that have touched my emotions!! I go in on May 21 for my TAH-endo (??? i think that's right).
I know my recovery should be 6 weeks. My sweet daughter will be playing in a softball All Stars tournament beginning on June 8. It is about 1and 1/2 hours away. If I am a very good girl for the first 3 weeks, take a pain pill and pray a lot do you think I will be able to go see a game or two or should I just prepare myself mentally/emotionally now that it probably won't happen this year! My kids never play ball without me! I also have another question. Has anyone had their doctor go in and discover that their appendix needs to be removed due to endo? My endo is severe on my pelvic area. My doctor hasn't mentioned looking at the appedix but is it a normal procedure to look around and remove if necc? Should I ask to have it removed? Who needs it? I want to be sure I don't have another belly cut ! Anyway, if there is someone out there who would like to give me the bottom line (no horror stories please - just sound advice) I would love to hear from you!
Blastin off for now!
Rocket
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-19-2002, 06:32 PM

Bottom line is ........ you will do just fine. ..
Seems to me...... everyone says it is no where near the experience they thought it would be. All pleasantly surprised.
I did not have a TAH so I can not say for sure when you will be up to going out. BUT it seems to me that others have done such a thing. It just depends on how your heal and how you feel. An d how smooth a ride your car is....... lets not forget that..
Take your pillow to hold on tummy and for under seat belt.

I sure hope you can make the game...... that would be a wonderful goal to maybe reach.
take care
xo Donna
Unread 05-19-2002, 06:55 PM

Hi Rocket!

Welcome!!
On 4-26 I had a TAH/BSO with many repairs (5 hours of surgery). This past Friday was 3 weeks for me. The first week was really hard (came home with a supra pubic catheter - due to repairs & 2 rounds of antibiotics as well as a very low iron count). By day 12 I was driving to my appointments and doing short errands. By the second week Post Op I was tending to my elderly mother's financial appointments and driving for 30 - 45 minutes at a time. This past week end I kept my 3 year old grand daughter for 2 nights. I still get very tired and sore. I have had what I consider a difficult recovery. Given the choice, I would not have driven so soon. But, I am none the worse. My doctors know that I was driving and did not have a problem.

Many ladies have recovered even more quickly. Some are much slower. Recovery is so individual. I have found that I couldn't even gage this recovery against my past surgeries and births.

Overall, I would say you will probably be okay. Just be sure to take it very easy until the games begin. Also, try to have someone else drive so you can rest during the drive. Take your pillow. Rest as much as possible on off days.

Best wishes!
Rayna
Unread 05-20-2002, 12:36 AM
Welcome!

Hi, Rocket! Welcome to HysterSisters--best site on the Web! Glad you have discovered us and have been finding some helpful info here. If you haven't found the pull-down menus for Ladies in Waiting, click on the 3 princesses at the top of the page and scroll down to the stories and hints from previous princesses. There is a lot of good info here.

If I count your dates correctly, you will only be 18 days post op when your daughter's tournament begins. I know I wouldn't have been up to driving so far or sitting outdoors for that long at 18 days after TAH. I drove 20 minutes to the dentist at 15 days, and 30 minutes to my Gyn at 18 days and that was enough of an outing for me! At that time in recovery, you should be resting with feet up for a lot of the day, with short easy walks occasionally. You probably will feel a little "fragile" and get tired easily. You should ask your dr what he/she advises, and also play it by ear. Listen to your body and be nice to it while it heals!

As far as your appendix, some drs will remove it if you want it out, while others consider it too invasive to cut into the bowel and risk complications if there doesn't appear to be anything abnormal about the appendix. The dr normally will check out everything in the abdominal cavity that is visible, and I'm sure that your dr will look at your appendix--especially if you do have severe endo. There's always a chance of developing appendicitis later, but it is not as common in older adults as it is in children or young people.

Read as much as you can here, and feel free to ask questions on the boards. We'll be here to see you through this journey! s and best wishes!
Ruthie
Unread 05-20-2002, 04:30 AM

Hi,

Would someone else be driving you? I went on a 3 hr car trip 5 days after surgery. It wasn't bad. Just tiring. Took painkillers with me. Dh drove. pillow is a must, kept seatbelt off incision.

I wouldn't recommend it 5 days after but 3 weeks after it shouldn't be bad.

Good luck

Tracy
Unread 05-20-2002, 04:39 AM

Hi and welcome to Hyster Sisters!

Have you read the pull-down menus on the main page yet? www.hystersisters.com There is a lot of information on this site and those menus helped me answer questions and gather questions for me to ask my doctor.

Did you know we have a chat room? Please follow this link to learn more about chatting! https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/ann...?s=&forumid=23

Please change your surgery date in your profile as we want to make sure to have enough brownies and tea on the post-op side!

I had a TAH and I was not ready for doing any physical activity until my doctor told me that I could, that was at 7 weeks. I was too tired even though all I did was rest the first 3 weeks. I started driving at 11 days, taking my dd to school. Then I would come home and rest all day so I would have the energy to go and pick her up from school. I had hubby drive me places all the time and I would think that an activity like that would be very easy on you. You can sleep in the car! I didn't take any pain pills after the first full day at home, I wasn't in pain. Just remember to listen to your body and rest when you need to!
Unread 05-20-2002, 08:31 AM
i was doing alot at 18 days post op BUT

hi
i had a TVH which seems generally to go a bit easier post op, altho by no means a breeze either ! i was doing more than most from what i was reading due to circumstances i wish were different. However at 3 weeks post op tho i was driving short drives they fatigued me alot and i couldnt believe how weak my legs felt. The sitting in one position unable to prop feet up would have been hard on me. Plus what will the seating be like at the tournament? Bleachers? No back on seats? Then you have the drive home to consider. if you will be driving i would think it might be a wee bit premature but it all depends on your stamina at that point. Why don't you just play it by ear and see how you feel as it gets closer to the tournament and you WILL know the answer by then. My stamina at 18 days post op wasnt great and i was doing very well! GOOD LUCK!!
jandrie
Unread 05-20-2002, 09:01 AM

If you do decide to go to the tournament my only advice would be to pick up one of those traveling lounge / recliner chairs (I picked mine up at Wal Mart for under $15). That way you won't have to sit in those hard bleachers or heaven forbid, the ground!! I spent most of my recovery laying around in mine outside so my little ones weren't cooped up inside too much.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register