New and Nervous | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New and Nervous New and Nervous

Unread 05-30-2002, 09:49 AM
New and Nervous

Just wanted to say.. Hi.. I'm new and getting more nervous as the time passes. I am having my hysterectomy on June 25th in which they will take the uterus and probably the ovaries. I have endometriosis, pro lapsed uterus, cysts and fibroids (which all seem to run in the family!). I have a great support group with my (2) sons, mother, grandmother and husband. I'm more nervous that I expect this drastic relief from pain and misery and it might not "cure" it all. I'm also concerned that if they take the ovaries that the surgically induced menopause may make life so unbearable that my support system will run from me =)

I'm concerned about recovery time. Typically I'm strong and bounce back (had a c-section 12 years ago) but you know.. with age.. blah blah. Does anyone know if you are allowed to fly shortly after surgery? nothing scheduled but was thinking while I was out of work would be a good time to go up north and see the in-laws for a few days.

I hope I'm not expecting too much!

Thanks..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2002, 10:09 AM
Hi

Hi Lisa,
I don't know about the flying - might want to ask the dr that because you may be uncomfortable sitting up for too long, too soon.
I understand your nervousness and I TOTALLY understand the worry about "what if it didn't 'cure' it all" BUT look at it this way - It has to be WAY better than what you are going through now!!!
And as far as the surgically induced menopause, don't forget they have HRT and there are many options if the first one doesn't work .
FAMILY always sticks by you - especially if they know what is wrong with you - Your family loves you and it sounds like there are all going to be VERY supportive.
Breathe and think positively!!!

Lots of s!!!

Kelley

Unread 05-30-2002, 12:17 PM
Welcome!

Hi, Lisa!

Welcome to HysterSisters! Glad you are getting some helpful info here. Kelley's right about asking your dr how soon you would be able to fly. Here is one doctor's expectations for recovery after a hyst. http://www.wdxcyber.com/nbleed13.htm If you are having an abdominal hyst (TAH), there is a 6-8 week initial recovery. That means you need to be resting with feet up for the first 2 weeks, with only short easy walks allowed. Even sitting upright for too long can put pressure and stress on healing tissues, therefore you need to be reclining as much as possible.

If you want to read past threads where hystersisters discussed how an abd hyst compares to a c-section, go up to the "search" button and type in c-section. Some have found it comparable, but most of us were surprised that a hyst was so much different--as far as pain and swelling and recovery time. I had 2 c-sections and was up and around in a couple days, feeling pretty good. With my TAH, I slowly moved around the house like a hunched over old lady with my trusty tummy pillow for the first 2 weeks! A hyst is really much more invasive and traumatic for your body than removing a baby. And if you do have endo, the surgery will probably take much longer than a c-section.

Has your dr discussed HRT with you? Some drs want to wait several weeks to several months to start estrogen replacement, since there is the theory that estrogen "feeds" endo and may make endo grow back if it hasn't completely died out. There may be some alternatives your dr can recommend if you can't take estrogen right away. You also can post this question on the "No Hormone Desert Oasis" forum and the ladies there may have some suggestions.

If you haven't read the pull-down menus for Ladies in Waiting, click on the 3 princesses at the top of the page, and scroll down to find stories and hints from previous princesses. They will help you be prepared for your hyst. Read all you can here and ask any questions you have. We'll be here to support you on this journey! I'm glad you have a great support group in your family. I'm sure they will pamper you like a proper princess! s and best wishes!
Ruthie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2002, 04:31 PM
thanks

thanks for all the supportive advice. I really appreciate it. I'm sure as the days grow longer I will be depending on everyone even more. So glad all the princesses are here =)

One of my major concerns was post op. I have to play around and read more. I have taken a leave from work to begin the day of surgery and I told them up to 8 weeks.. but hoping more like 4-5 weeks. I have a very demanding job and really don't want to push myself too fast to return to work but I also know I will go absolutely bonkers sitting around the house. My mom is moving in with us for a couple weeks to help. This is great since my husband will be working. My mom had to go through a TAH in her early 20's and I know she will be very sympathic and also not let me push it. I guess I was fooling myself to compare it to the c-section. It is a very different procedure and they are actually removing and shifting around, not just taking a life out to have everything go back to normal. I remember the gas being unbearable at times! I'm sure it's the same, unfortunetly. Little funny: I called my doctor about a week after my c-section and told him he must have forgot to put something back in cause all my innards were moving around and causing me terrible pain! LOL

I sure wish everyone else had the "physical" support I do, but even then.. I turn here =) Sometimes, you just want to say something to someone going through it now..and I'm always here for anyone that just needs a shoulder to "cry" on. Feel free to email me.

As the time goes by I would love to chat with those preparing and how they are feeling along with anyone that might like to give advice from "having been there/done that".
Unread 05-30-2002, 05:01 PM
Hi surgery date buddy...

My name is Pamela and I am also having an abdominal hyst and BSO on June 25. I am worried also about it not fixing the problem and possibly causing more. But I have lived with this pain getting increasingly worse every month for the last 2 years and I figure I am willing to take that chance to be pain free.
I am so glad you have a great support system, my dh doesn't really understand what I am going through or will go through and has even made comments like "well since I am letting you have this surgery...." UGGGHHH!! I wish men had to go through a little of our problems. Don't worry I set him straight pretty quick by telling him that I didn't ask to have this done I have to have it done in order to live a normal life. I would much rather not have constant sometimes unbearable pain but I do have it and have to deal with it. And he is not letting me have it, it is not optional. Anyway this is a great site and you will find lots of support and information here. I don't know about you but I am counting down the days (26 left to go by the way!!!)
Keep in touch, we can support each other until the big day.

's
Pamela
Unread 05-30-2002, 05:47 PM
New and Nervous

swtlisab~

Glad you found us here!

I had my surgery on May 20th.....I had a tah/bso and they told me recovery time was 6-8 weeks. Boy do I believe them!

I have a great support system here and so far so good, they have not run from me during this trial and error HRT stuff, although I feel as if I would like to run from myself at times. It must be the the stir crazy side of me that cant stand to be laid up. Dont know yet.

The waiting for the surgery is truely the hard part darlin. Your time will be here before you know it. Keep visiting here......these wonderful ladies here have kept me sane since I have found them. They are the best. I dont know what kind of shape I would have been in if this site didnt exist.

Your new crown will look beautiful and you will get adjusted to being pampered.

We will be here for you whenever you need us.

Unread 05-30-2002, 06:08 PM
Surgery and Airplanes

I read somewhere recently that when you are flying in an airplane the pressure creates an expansion inside your body of 30%. The article said that if you had recent surgery it could cause some problems by pulling stitches, causing tubes to fall out, etc. Don't know how true or reliable it was but I remember thinking "No flying for me when I get that hyst!"
Unread 05-30-2002, 06:08 PM
pastaprincess

nice to hear from you... maybe you can gleam a little light into what we should expect? you are 10 day post op now.. how are you feeling? anything unexpected? 2 days in the hospital?

share.. want to listen and learn!
Unread 05-30-2002, 07:29 PM
New and Nervous

SwtLisaB, I am new at this too...my hysterectomy is scheduled for June 24th . It will be a TAHBSO (I think) will find out more on 20th. I am thinking from what I have read on this wonderful site..that you won't won't to go flying off to soon. I am sure someone that is a princess has answered your question..
Take care, Carletta
Unread 05-30-2002, 07:50 PM
Flying

Carletta.. thanks for the response..

well if I can't fly, my son wants to know if we can go to disney. He says between him and grandma there will be plenty of muscle to push a wheel chair! =)

I'll think of something to do during recovery.. just not going to push it.

Keep in touch.. would love to hear more.

Thanks again

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register