11 days post hysterectomy, dizzy & lightheaded | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

11 days post hysterectomy, dizzy & lightheaded 11 days post hysterectomy, dizzy & lightheaded

Unread 11-21-2020, 12:13 PM
11 days post hysterectomy, dizzy & lightheaded

I am new and hope I am in the right spot! I had a vag hysterectomy on Nov 10- uterus and tubes (well, only one bc the other one wouldn’t cooperate during surgery). Terrible reaction to anesthesia (always have- vomiting, nauseous, etc.). Left the hospital with a UTI from the catheter and am on my second round of antibiotics. I have had a really tough recovery so far- besides a few walks throughout the day, barely able to get out of bed up until yesterday. Things seem to be going in the right direction now, but I am experiencing pain in what feels like my right ovary over the last few days. I am also having dizzy spells on a regular basis. Dr. thinks I am just sensitive to all the meds, although I am off of pain meds and only taking an occasional Motrin. I had terrible headaches post op (thought it was from anesthesia) and I just feel like my head isn’t right. Hard to describe. Dr. Is treating me for vertigo but isn’t convinced. Everything seems to be healing well, so I am not sure where the dizziness/lightheadedness is coming from. I drink TONS of water throughout the day, too. Would love to hear if anyone has experienced this.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-21-2020, 04:28 PM
Re: 11 days post hysterectomy, dizzy & lightheaded

and

Feeling lightheaded and dizzy could be from meds / anesthesia, but also from anemia or low blood pressure. I was lightheaded after surgery, and just happened to have my first follow up at 10 days. I mentioned it at my doc's office, so the nurse did a finger prick and checked my blood pressure. Hemoglobin was fine, but I did have low BP. The nurse lives with low BP and suggested to bump up my sodium. It made sense because my appetite was off post-op, and I was eating a lot of steamed veggies with no seasonings. Once I added some salt, it resolved in two days.

Sometimes one side hurts more than the other because more work was done on that side. Could be where the tube was removed, or perhaps more tugging in trying to free the remaining tube. In lap assisted vaginal hysterectomies, one side seems to take the brunt of the instrument manipulation. Was your surgery lap assisted by chance?

Since you've just joined us, you might find these resources helpful in knowing what to expect during these first weeks:I'd also like to invite you to connect with your Recovery Thread for women who had surgery the same week as you at Recovery Progress Reports for Nov 09-15. Recovery Threads are wonderful for getting support, comparing notes, encouraging others, and keeping one another company.

Unread 11-22-2020, 04:53 AM

I live with low BP myself, and in addition to bumping up my sodium intake to 2,000 mg per day, what has also helped is bumping up my intake of potassium and magnesium, which work together with sodium to regulate your blood pressure. Potassium superstars include bananas, sweet potatoes, kiwi fruit, dried apricots, citrus fruits, and wild-caught salmon; magnesium superstars include dark chocolate, leafy greens, pumpkin seeds, quinoa and almonds. When you get up from a seated or lying position, do it slowly so your brain has a chance to adjust, and flex your calf muscles to push any pooled blood back into normal circulation. As for your UTI and being on your second round of antibiotics, Round 1 may have indiscrimanately wiped out the good bacteria inside your urinary tract, setting the stage for Round 2. To break the cycle, I suggest Florajen, a prescription product that contains a high concentration of the probiotic strain Lactobacillus acidophilus, to restore your good bacteria; for maximum benefit, take it at least 2 hours apart from the antibiotics, and for at least a week after you're done taking them. Best wishes for dealing with these issues soon, and for continued health and healing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-22-2020, 07:40 PM

Thank you!
Unread 11-24-2020, 10:00 PM

I had a Laparoscopic hysterectomy and excision of endo /tons of bladder and bowel adhesions repaired on 11/13.

I too have a strange almost vertigo like sensation. I was under anesthesia for about 4-5 hrs. I also know they gave me a nerve medicine (started with a G?) I’m wondering if that’s related.

I’m so sensitive to meds. Steroids. Anesthesia,etc.
Unread 11-25-2020, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseymonti View Post
I also know they gave me a nerve medicine (started with a G?) I’m wondering if that’s related.
Gabapentin, maybe? That may have dizziness as a side effect.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register