Didn't want more children, why am I sad? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Didn't want more children, why am I sad? Didn't want more children, why am I sad?

Unread 01-14-2012, 12:08 PM
Didn't want more children, why am I sad?

I had my hysterectomy due to numerous problems I've had since I had twins 3 yrs ago. My husband & I didn't want anymore children (still don't) however lately I've felt like I'm less of a woman because of my surgery. It's hard to describe and I'm not sure why I feel this way. I'm happy that the problems I've had since surgery are now over but this feeling lately is hard to describe. Has anyone else experienced this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2012, 01:15 PM
Re: Didn't want more children, why am I sad?

I am going through some of those same emotions but I am an emotional wreck since having my surgery 11 days ago.
Unread 01-14-2012, 04:05 PM

Yes I have those same feelings also. I knew I wouldn't have more children but that didn't mean I was at all ok with giving up my uterus. I don't feel the same now physically, mentally or emotionally. This is the most difficult thing I've gone through in my life. I wish I had some words of wisdom for you. Unfortunately all I can say is you're not alone.
Unread 01-14-2012, 04:52 PM

I also felt that way a week or two after my surgery. Even though I myself never wanted children. I think its just in our minds since we lost all our womenly parts. Mine went away within a week or two though. So I hope the same happens for you. Good luck on your recovery. Hugs and god bless
Unread 01-14-2012, 07:17 PM

You are not alone! I too have been experiencing this. At 44 and my youngest being 13, I had no intention of having more children. However, I had a miscarriage in may from an unknown pregnancy.....and that is when they found my tumor, and we began plans to remove the uterus. I did not want more children, am very happy with the family size, yet for some reason, my surgery making that a permanent decision has made me moarn a bit. It is better now...but you are not alone, hang in there.
Unread 01-14-2012, 07:28 PM

Feelin the same way I have 5 children the oldest is 8 and the youngest getting ready to turn 2 do not want any more but there is something about the option being permanently taken away when I see pregnant women or a newborn I get sad knowing I can never do that again
Unread 01-14-2012, 07:37 PM

I had my tubes tied after my youngest was born in 94, So I was obviously done having children. That said however, after I had my TAH in 2003, for quite some time I would dream that I was pregnant and when I woke up I was just totally and completely devastated! I would feel sooooo bad. almost as if I had really been pregnant and lost a baby. Whenever I would have one of those dreams and wake up that feeling of loss and total devastation would stay with me through out the day. Then I've go a few months without having the dream and then I'd have it again. Unfortunately I had that dream followed by that sense of loss off and on for well over a year! Our bodies and brains have their own way of coping with our loss I guess.
Unread 01-14-2012, 08:33 PM

I had similar feelings after my hyst. My dh had surgery after our last child, so we were done, and I was at peace with it. But, after my surgery, I did have some sadness as well.

I think maybe it had something to do with kind of figuring out who I am now. For the past few years my identity was wound up in my illness. My endo had become part of who I was, even with the awful cycles and bleeding and pain, it was who I was. And in sense, even though I was losing all that agony, I was also kind of losing my identity.

It took me several months to kind of work through all the emotions, and I am sure that fluxuating hormones and the fact that my recovery has been much longer and more difficult than I expected.

It was kind of like it took me a while to get my "land legs" back.

Now, at 18 months post op I am doing pretty well. I still struggle with depression sometimes, but over all I seem to be finding my way, my new normal, my new self.

I think for me, prayer and the prayers of those who love me, made a huge difference.
Unread 01-14-2012, 09:45 PM

I think for me it feels much like how I felt after having a baby, that rush of emotion. As with that I hope this becomes a distant memory and not a huge grief I have suffered. Onward and upward!
Unread 01-14-2012, 10:35 PM

Had my hysterectomy Dec 20 and was completely sure I was done having kids, but the first week or two my hormones were all out of wack! Kept ovaries but hear they can "shut down" for a period of time? I would have times where I was really sad that I lost my womb and that that choice to have children was now taken away from me, feeling less than a woman, etc. Feelings were a complete surprise. BUT...I can say I am almost 4 weeks now and those feelings have passed still have some emotional moments but just in general... no longer grieving the loss of my womb!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register