What were you feeling the day before and the morning of your surgery. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What were you feeling the day before and the morning of your surgery. What were you feeling the day before and the morning of your surgery.

Unread 08-12-2004, 05:21 AM
What were you feeling the day before and the morning of your surgery.

10 more days and I am starting to get antsy. Can not image the day before or day of.

Poo Bear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-12-2004, 05:26 AM

Hi Poo Bear

The day before I was too busy at work getting things ready for while I was away to really worry - until the gang gathered to wish me the best, then I got a bit upset.

That night I was very agitated and spent the time on my puter playing games after getting my stuff ready.

I had to be there at 7 am, hardly slept so was like a zombie when I got up at 5.30. DH drove me in to the Castle, once I got there I didn't have time to worry as my op was at 8am.

Good luck !
Unread 08-12-2004, 05:32 AM

Tabbi,
I am suppose to be the first case according to my doctor. I have to be there by 6:30 and surgery will take place around 8:30 or so. I know that i will go to the OR around 7:30. I have many people that will be there the morning of.

Poo Bear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-12-2004, 06:24 AM

Right before surgery I was very calm. I gave my worries over to God and felt so calm and peaceful. The day before my surgery I was off from work and spent the time playing cards and sitting on the patio with my dh. The morning of I was actually in very good humor and exchanged jokes with my dr. I told him I had read that if the drs told jokes in the O.R. that patients were known to heal better (I was teasing). So the nurses and I put him on the spot to come up with a joke. He asked us "What do grapes say when you stomp on them?" the answer? "Nothing, they just put out a little whine (wine)" Dumbest joke but we were all in stitches.

Unread 08-12-2004, 06:35 AM

The last couple of days before surgery went very quickly. I kept myself very busy. I wanted to do so much over the summer and tried to get it all done before surgery. I was scrubbing the bath tubs at 10:30 the night before. Family thought I was nuts, but I knew that I wasn't ready to sleep so I kept working. Turns out I slept pretty well that night, went to bed about 12:30.

My surgery wasn't until 11:30, but we had to leave home around 8:30am. I was kind of in a zombie mode that morning. Confident that I was in good hands, but a little apprehensive about the outcome - didn't want to come out sicker than when I went in. DH stayed with me until I went to OR. We didn't really talk. Just kind of held each other. I read some scripture verses and prayed for my doctors - stayed focused on the One who holds me in the palm of His hand. And before I knew it, it was over.

Many have said it before - the waiting is the hardest part. I agree, but the last few hours passed rather quickly. Good luck!

Emmlg727
Unread 08-12-2004, 07:00 AM

My surgery was in the middle of the afternoon, so it was the morning that was really hard for me. I was trying to be brave, but I had stomach cramps and diarrhea all morning, due to nerves. The enema helped, to my surprise. My dh works nights, so he was asleep. I spent the morning on the computer, e-mailing friends and spending time on this site.

Once we got to the hospital I was a little better. My dh and dd went with me, and my parents met me there. The woman at the desk said, "Is this your entourage?"

I had a great nurse get me ready for surgery. She reminded me of Whoopi Goldberg, very funny and spicy and reassuring. My dh stayed with me and held his hand on my heart, which was comforting. (I told the nurse, "This is my husband" and she said, "I certainly hope so!") I told the nurse how nervous I was. She put something in the IV and said, "There, now you've had two margaritas." It helped a lot. The doctor came and spoke to us, also very reassuring, and the anesthesiologist.

In the operating room, the walls were painted with mountain scenery, which was very nice. The anesthesiologist said, "Go to your favorite relaxing place." I imagined my favorite mountain stream and drifted off to sleep. The next thing I heard was "You're in the recovery room." I was on cloud nine to know that it was over and I was feeling so well.
Unread 08-12-2004, 07:38 AM

I was a basket case for two weeks prior to surgery, but surprised myself by being very calm the day of surgery. I didn't really expect to feel this way. In the days leading up to surgery I was very busy trying to get things done at work and home - almost like going on an extended vacation (not). But the morning of surgery, I felt calmer than I had in months. My DH and I had to arrive at the castle at 5:15 am, then wait. But the wait didn't even bother me. I even took a little nap - without drugs to help. My surgery was at 7:30. Everything went fine except for my jaw getting dislocated. That's another story for another post. But, maybe you will be very calm like I was.

Susan
Unread 08-12-2004, 07:51 AM

The night before I went in I was a wreak so I got up and did things that I needed to get done like laundry and final house cleaning. The day I went in I was okay when I got there but when they put the IV in I lost it becuase I knew that it was about to happen. They came in and gave me something to calm me down and I felt a little better. I know that it does not help to say this don't worry everything will be okay. The waiting is by far the worst part before and after the worst part seems to be the gas.
Unread 08-12-2004, 10:23 AM

I was pretty calm, much calmer than I was two weeks or a month before. (This board is a godsend!)

The day before I worked a half day and finished up as much work as possible and handed it over to the two people who would fill in for me.

Then I headed off for coffee with a friend and got my hair cut (figured I couldn't do that for a while).

Dinner with friends (we walked, so I got a bit of exercise) and then packed my little bag for morning and went to bed.

I actually slept much better than I do before going on vacation!

The house was messy, dishes in the sink, lists of things I didn't do, but I just kind of let go of those concerns.

Once at the hospital they kept me pretty busy with forms and questions so I hardly noticed that the two prep hours flew by (well, a sedative does wonders for that too!).
Unread 08-12-2004, 10:32 AM

I was extremely calm and relaxed the morning of my surgery. I was the first surgery of the day, so I had to be at the hospital around 6:00. My sister drove from an hour away to pick me up and take me, and my dad met us there. We sat around the room watching TV and waiting for them to take me away.

The day before I was so sick to my stomach from the Magnesium Citrate I had to drink that I didn't have time to feel nervous.

I think I went into my surgery well informed because of the information I received on this site. The ladies here helped me to prepare and I knew exactly what to expect.

Mary Ellen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register