Fear of fever resulting from hyst | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fear of fever resulting from hyst Fear of fever resulting from hyst

Unread 10-21-2004, 08:00 PM
Fear of fever resulting from hyst

I'm scared to death of getting a fever as a hysterectomy complication. What kind of infections do people get? Have any of you post-op guys gotten a bad fever? How long did it last? How did you get through it? Can anybody clue me in about infection statistics and severity?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-21-2004, 08:39 PM

I am 3+ weeks post-op and feel great. I have had no fever, no infections, no complications. I truly believe in the power of prayer and I had, and still have, alot of people praying for me.
I believe my recovery has gone so well due to the prayers. I had no worry or concern as I waited. I had no fear as I went into surgery. I had peace in my heart and was extremely calm.

I will pray for you. I will pray that God replaces your fear with His peace.

God bless you!

Nancy
Unread 10-21-2004, 08:52 PM

Thank you Manalu. I deeply appreciate that.

Any more responses/advice about fever?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-21-2004, 09:23 PM

just curious as to why possibly getting a fever after this procedure has you so worried?....with that said, infections happen though your dr will do his/her best to keep you free from infection with pre-op antibiotics (given via IV).
Unread 10-21-2004, 09:30 PM

I did get a fever from hyst complications. My kidney became blocked and then infected (after the blockage was corrected). My temp was a little over 103, but I made it through. Sometimes complications can happen, but just remember that your doctor is there for you and never hesitate to call him or her if you feel like something may be wrong.

I'm sure that the doctors have seen it all and know how to handle whatever problems may arise. If they don't, they will know exactly who to refer you to.

Don't worry. I'll keep you in my prayers.
Everything will be fine!

Beth
Unread 10-21-2004, 09:41 PM

Not sure about in the states, but in canada when your given iv, just before operations, they also slip some antibiotics in the iv bag for preventative measures, to stop infections before they start. They also check your temp every hour after your op for the first two days, this gives them an indication before anything serious happens, that something may be up. Good luck.
Unread 10-21-2004, 09:48 PM

I had a fever for about 4 days after my hysteretomy but I generally expected to because with every surgery including my 2 c-sections I got them. I really wouldn't worry too much about them, The doctors and nurses give you the antibiotics for it and they watch you closely and keep an eye on it. I was also told by one of my nurses that it is sometimes a common occurence after a major surgery, she said some people are more succeptible to getting them and I had antibiotics before my surgery also and still got a fever but they didn't seem too be too alarmed by it and I survived it was really the least of my problems.
Unread 10-21-2004, 10:38 PM

I had a fever for nearly 72 hours straight postop, but no infection. It was a reaction to the anesthesia, if I recall correctly. Nobody was all that concerned about it. They drew lots of blood regularly and kept checking on signs of infection and giving preemptive antibiotics by the barrelful (I have other medical conditions that made for high infection risk), and all went well.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register