Which surgery is better? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Which surgery is better? Which surgery is better?

Unread 11-03-2010, 01:22 PM
Which surgery is better?

I have been reading up on which way is the best to do a complete hysterectomy and what I was finding in more that one place was that if you get the incision that starts below the belly button and goes to the pubic bone that you can be opened wider which gives the doctor more room and makes it easier for the doctor to see and do the surgery. But when I told the surgery scheduler that I was opting to have my surgery this way she said that laporoscopy was better because of healing time and that the dr can work and see just fine with this.

I don't really care about the recovery time, I know that the recovery time and pain would be worse with the larger cut but what I wanna know is which one is best to be able to make sure everything is taken out properly and that there is no cancer or anything else abnormal in my abdomen. Does anyone have any answers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-03-2010, 02:42 PM
Re: Which surgery is better?

I had to have an abdominal hysterectomy and my doctor did the bikini cut (side to side at top of your bikini area) Personally I felt it was better because I knew he could see and work better not being confined. I was scared believe me but all in all the pain was really not that bad. The gas pain afterwards was worse than anything. I ended up having 18 staples and had them out 10 days after surgery. Actually the incision is healing nicely but I made sure I behaved the full 6 weeks and did everything they told me to, and did not do anything I was told not to do. I think that was a plus in the long run for me. As for the Laproscopic I could not have it done because of the size of my uterus. I have heard it has a quicker recovery time. But then again everyone is different. If I had the choice though I still would have chosen to have the abdominal. Best of luck to you!
Unread 11-03-2010, 02:52 PM

Thank you so much. I feel like the surgery scheduler wants me to go the laporoscopic route. I don't want to be pressured into that just because the recovery will be easier. I want to do the surgery that will allow my doctor to be able to move around easier and see things better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-03-2010, 10:42 PM

I've watched laparoscopic surgeries, & had the bikini cut. Whichever the Dr feels right about would have worked for me.

Sending hugs & prayers as you make this decision.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register