Scheduled TVH Hysterectomy scheduled 8/15 - Nervous and looking for answers! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy scheduled 8/15 - Nervous and looking for answers! Hysterectomy scheduled 8/15 - Nervous and looking for answers!

Unread 07-19-2018, 02:42 PM
Hysterectomy scheduled 8/15 - Nervous and looking for answers!

So I apologize if this needs to be somewhere else.

I am trying to find other women who may be in the same boat as me, so if this gets long, that's why.

I am 41 and have:
  • history of needed hysterectomy's on the maternal side due to fibroid all around the same age
  • Currently have 2 fibroids - anterior and posterior and enlarged uterus
  • All of June had lots of pain in low back with low abdominal pain and pressure, bloated, heavy belly, severe fatigue, aching joints, constapation/frequent urination,
  • Periods went from fairly light for 4-5 days, pain 2nd day to heavy with pain for 7 days (all with terrible breast pain and tenderness)
  • Previous tubal through cut and fry following a C-section (2 children)
  • Terrible PMS for the last 4mos
  • Incontinence that has gotten worse since June (despite doing kegals)
  • Headaches
  • Haven't gotten a diagnosis of Uterine prolapse, but it definitely feels like everything is lower

I have allot of questions, but I don't know how to put them all together, if that makes sense? I'm mainly trying to figure out how to have the best outcome from this.
At the moment of writing this, my 3 main concerns are: the future of my sex life, the possibility of weight gain, and how do I prep my body for surgery?
Outside of all of the above issues, I was having the best sex of my life with my soulmate - I am terrified of this being affected. Is there anyone with my circumstances who has been able to keep their sex life in tact?

Is there a collective list someplace that will spell out what causes some women to have such horror stories and others to have the most ideal outcomes from TVH?

For the last two weeks, I feel around 70% back to my old self other than some weight gain and slight pain from the fibroids.

Thank you, everyone in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2018, 03:33 PM
Re: Scheduled 8/15 - Nervous and looking for answers!

Hi,
Alot of what you are describing is what I went through for years. Very similar symptoms, I also had my tubes cut and burned during second c-section, pain frequent urination periods just kept getting worse and longer, the works. I was diagnosed with adenomyosis which was confirmed by the pathology report. I put off surgery for 2 years because I'd start to feel better, than worse, then I decided enough was enough. I too was concerned about weight gain, sex, prolapse after surgery, pretty much anything that would prolong my decision to get the surgery done. I'm now feeling better than I have in 10 years. I haven't had any weight gain (keeping my ovaries probably helps) and sex with my husband is better than before. I know there are articles you can read, but I don't know how to link them here. Im sure another sister can help you navigate but I wanted to share my story with you. Alot of info in the internet can be negative and it helps to hear good experiences
Unread 07-19-2018, 03:39 PM
Re: Scheduled 8/15 - Nervous and looking for answers!

Oh thank you so much for that! I am a ball of anxiety because of all of the horror stories. It's just so hard to tell what I'll end up with, and I don't want to lose my quality of love life!

When I presented the question about sex after the procedure to my OB, she also stated that it should be even better (I was asking because she is going to be taking everything but my ovaries).

How long did it take till you were able to resume normal activities without pain?

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-20-2018, 04:54 PM
Re: Hysterectomy scheduled 8/15 - Nervous and looking for answers!

I'm just 6 weeks yesterday. I haven't had any real "pain" for 4 weeks. There were a lot of stitches on the perineum (as after childbirth) and those were uncomfortable for sitting, but not terribly painful. However, resuming "normal activities" isn't really a thing. You still require a lot of rest, no lifting, pushing or pulling, etc. The only exercise I've been allowed to do is walk and I've been doing a good amount of that, increasing gradually, but every increase leads to several days at a much lower level of activity. Only after 5 weeks did I start to resume anything like a normal life, and I'm still more tired than usual.

Plan to give yourself lots of time and opportunity to heal properly. It's just not worth it to jeopardize your healing!

Unread 07-26-2018, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snazzy76 View Post

So I apologize if this needs to be somewhere else.

I am trying to find other women who may be in the same boat as me, so if this gets long, that's why.

I am 41 and have:
  • history of needed hysterectomy's on the maternal side due to fibroid all around the same age
  • Currently have 2 fibroids - anterior and posterior and enlarged uterus
  • All of June had lots of pain in low back with low abdominal pain and pressure, bloated, heavy belly, severe fatigue, aching joints, constapation/frequent urination,
  • Periods went from fairly light for 4-5 days, pain 2nd day to heavy with pain for 7 days (all with terrible breast pain and tenderness)
  • Previous tubal through cut and fry following a C-section (2 children)
  • Terrible PMS for the last 4mos
  • Incontinence that has gotten worse since June (despite doing kegals)
  • Headaches
  • Haven't gotten a diagnosis of Uterine prolapse, but it definitely feels like everything is lower

I have allot of questions, but I don't know how to put them all together, if that makes sense? I'm mainly trying to figure out how to have the best outcome from this.
At the moment of writing this, my 3 main concerns are: the future of my sex life, the possibility of weight gain, and how do I prep my body for surgery?
Outside of all of the above issues, I was having the best sex of my life with my soulmate - I am terrified of this being affected. Is there anyone with my circumstances who has been able to keep their sex life in tact?

Is there a collective list someplace that will spell out what causes some women to have such horror stories and others to have the most ideal outcomes from TVH?

For the last two weeks, I feel around 70% back to my old self other than some weight gain and slight pain from the fibroids.

Thank you, everyone in advance!
Hello, I was very nervous about weight gain too. Everyone is different, but for me, I knew I wasn't going to allow it to happen. I've exercised my whole life, at 55 I'm pretty fit, and I make healthy food choices. If you've never had a weight problem before, then you shouldn't after. Unless of course you indulge constantly. Going into my surgery healthy and fit I believe has helped in my very quick recovery. I am 8 days post op and I feel amazing. I too had fibroids, and cysts. Not sure which was wreaking havoc on my lower back, but I have absolutely no pain. Stick to drinking lots of water, and definitely drink lots of water during your recovery. As far as sex goes after, unfortunately I won't have experience on that for another 7 weeks, or more. I do there is a misconception with sex after a hysterectomy. I'm not nervous about it at all. I have a wonderful husband, and it will be amazing as always. Sending positive thoughts and hugs.
Unread 07-27-2018, 01:01 PM

Thank you so much for your reply! I'm happy to hear you are doing well from your experience with this procedure!

I just got done with my pre-op appointments, and I discussed all this and more at great length with my OB, who is in my book the best there is
She put allot of my fears to rest, especially on the future of my sex life.

I'm still anxious about just the fact that I'm having a surgery, but I know I am in very experienced, capable hands.

Looking forward to life free of these symptoms!

Thanks again

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register