any women with TVH wake up in pain - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

any women with TVH wake up in pain any women with TVH wake up in pain

Unread 12-08-2004, 09:21 AM
any women with TVH wake up in pain

My experience was waking up from my TVH as low back pain and cramping....just like back labor if anyone has experienced that. I don't tolerate narcotics, so I was given toradol IV and was sent home with Tramadol with Tylenol. At home I used the medication every 6 hours for the first few days and then weaned myself off. I am almost 4 weeks post op and not really needed any pain medication...only once this week when I clearly overdid it!

Best of Luck

I love this web site, but do find it interesting the number of women with TAH vs TVH. The number of TAH is far greater....or maybe us TVH just sit back quietly??!! Interestingly, I did talk to my OB/GYN about this TAH vs TVH and he said it is very regional...a lot depends on how the MD was trained.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-08-2004, 09:22 AM

Mist

Pain is a personal way in which we respond to pain meds.

I woke up in excruciating pain and nurses responds was fast, but they had to give me 2 shots of one drug and then 2 shots of another drug. By the time the drugs kicked in I stop breathing, so a nurse stayed by my side waking me up and telling me to breath for the next four hours.

I tell you this because I'm allergic to codene and alot of pain meds have codene as a base. This has happen in the pass with GA.

Waking up in pain and dealing with it was one of biggest fear as well. I was only on pain meds for 1 week. I had a SAH.

It was not until I got home and there was a mistake in the pain drug that was given to me that I found the best relief from pain.(tramadol)

It depends on how you responded to pain med. Tell the AG that you are afraid of waking up in pain and they will be ready to respond faster if they know that.

Best of luck with your surgery.

Unread 12-08-2004, 09:26 AM

weezy123
Thank goodness there is some medication out there for us "lightweights" who don't tolerate narcotics. I used Tramadol also and I thought it did wonders and didn't have all the side effects of narcotics.
Unread 12-08-2004, 09:55 AM

When I came out of anesthesia I was rating my pain as a "10" and was given Nubain in my IV until it got better. The rest of the day I was given Nubain by IV every time I asked (not sure how often that was) and eventually they added in an Ibuprofin derivitive, once my doc had researched and found that I could have it until I went back on my blood thinners. I asked for Nubain during the night and first thing the next morning and then never needed any more pain killers. I was sent home with a 'script for Vicodin (the only other pain killer I can take is Tylenol due to taking blood thinners) but I didn't wind up needing it. So, yes I was in a lot of pain when I woke up after surgery but it didn't last long, thank goodness
Unread 12-08-2004, 07:05 PM

When I woke up I vomited twice then had extreme lower back pain. They gave me morphine in my IV. I slept off and on while in recovery for 3 hours. I don't remember how many times they gave me morphine. I do know several though.
In my room I kept complaining of my lower back and they turned me to my side to see if I had bruising or something. Nothing there but that was where most of my pain was. Day 6 is not too bad. Now that my bowels are moving.

Elizabeth
TVH and TVT
Unread 12-08-2004, 07:55 PM

Hi, I had a TVH on Sept 16th. I woke up in some pain, but not really bad pain to me. I had expected it to be a lot worse than it reallhy was. I was given some morphine in my IV and the pain never got any worse than about a 7 at all. I had my surgery at 7:30 in the morning, and by 4:30 that same afternoon, I was finished with taking pain meds, except for 2 regular Tylenol which I took once later that evening, or early the next day. I had one other day in the following week in which I took 2 regular Tylenol. My doctor said that many women having TVH experience very little pain. I hope you will be one of these. Carol
Unread 12-09-2004, 06:01 AM

I had a TVH/BSO w/A&P on 11/17/04 & never experienced anything remotely excruciating. Removing the vaginal packing relieved pressure I was feeling. I didn't take anything narcotic for pain after 8 am the day following surgery. I don't know whether to attribute my great experience to my high pain tolerance or the great skill of my doctor. Ibuprofen helped back ache when I got home but even that wasn't killer pain. We're all so different...
Unread 12-09-2004, 10:25 AM

I just had my TVH Monday, Dec 6th and did NOT wake up with excruciating pain. I felt like I was having a bad period is all..and it hasn't been too bad since. I hope yours goes a lot like mine did..

well wishes

shelly

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register