Is it worth it? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is it worth it? Is it worth it?

Unread 11-29-2009, 02:58 PM
Is it worth it?

So my bladder prolapse is "moderate" I'm not comfortable with a pessary. The doc wants to do bladder repair with a vaginal hysterectomy. Because she said the uterus would just end up pushing the bladder down again. I was ready, but after reading the post on surgeries. I'm just not sure the risk and recovery are worth it. It is very uncomfortable to live with at times "the bulge" but not all the time. I'm going to see a urologist for testing prior to surgery because the urologist is already scheduled for tomorrow. But I don't leak much.
Has anyone had the bladder repair and vaginal hysterectomy and was it worth all the pain and post op?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-29-2009, 03:06 PM
Re: Is it worth it?

I can't say for sure, because I haven't had mine yet. But, I know that I've gone from being "Person A" to "Person B" because of this trouble I'm having. I leak--not constantly, but enough that I'm no longer exercising like I used to, I'm uncomfortable with sex because of worry about smell and leaking (and pain, not sure if that's caused by the prolapses, or what), and I'm just tired of it. I don't want to spend the rest of my life feeling this way.

As my doctor said "It's a quality of life issue". Yes, it is. It's my quality of life, and right now, it sucks.

My hope is that these repairs will "fix" me!
Unread 11-29-2009, 03:07 PM

I'm scheduled for the same surgery. The prolapse is not too bad by itself but I have other issues too.

I have had a prolapse since the birth of my son in 2003. I managed it with kegels.

I also saw a urologist and has a cystogram because I had blood in my urine.
I don't have incontinence but I have a frequency problem.

To me the decision was based on quality if life. There seems to be a lot of issues with mesh and i'm not getting that stuff.

Good luck! I'm sure you will get lots of support here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-29-2009, 03:42 PM

My mother had a vaginal Hys and Bladder repair done on October 7th and so far she is VERY happy with the result. She had a prolapsed Uterus which was dragging down her bladder and bowles and both have been much better since. She is pretty much back to her old self after 6 weeks. She came and took care of my zoo for 2 days while I had my Hysterectomy last week.
Unread 11-29-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendal123 View Post
So my bladder prolapse is "moderate" I'm not comfortable with a pessary. The doc wants to do bladder repair with a vaginal hysterectomy. Because she said the uterus would just end up pushing the bladder down again. I was ready, but after reading the post on surgeries. I'm just not sure the risk and recovery are worth it. It is very uncomfortable to live with at times "the bulge" but not all the time. I'm going to see a urologist for testing prior to surgery because the urologist is already scheduled for tomorrow. But I don't leak much.
Has anyone had the bladder repair and vaginal hysterectomy and was it worth all the pain and post op?
I had the same situation as you, Kendal 123. I went to see the surgeon expecting to get my bladder prolapse repaired, and he said I'd also need a hysterectomy for the same reasons as you. I had LAVH and bladder sling 8 weeks ago, and I am very happy with the result. I definitely thing the surgery was worth it despite the longer than expected recovery. No more constantly running to the bathroom, and walking without "the bulge" is so much more comfortable. At 8 weeks post-op i am finally feeling more back to normal and able to do many of my usual activities like long walks and working out at the gym.
Unread 11-29-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
I had the same situation as you, Kendal 123. I went to see the surgeon expecting to get my bladder prolapse repaired, and he said I'd also need a hysterectomy for the same reasons as you. I had LAVH and bladder sling 8 weeks ago, and I am very happy with the result. I definitely thing the surgery was worth it despite the longer than expected recovery. No more constantly running to the bathroom, and walking without "the bulge" is so much more comfortable. At 8 weeks post-op i am finally feeling more back to normal and able to do many of my usual activities like long walks and working out at the gym.
I never expected a reply from someone with the exact situation. Your experience is very inspirational, I think I'll be moving forward with it. Thanks so Much
Unread 11-30-2009, 12:08 AM

You might want to ask the urologist if there are other options to keep the uterus from pressing the bladder down again after a fix. Just a thought. I'd want to be sure I covered all my options because converting the surgery into including a hysterectomy does add more to the mix in recovery.

:xmashug4:

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register