all went well! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

all went well! all went well!

Unread 02-14-2004, 11:49 AM
all went well!

I'm just over two weeks post op and feeling guilty about not getting to Hystersisters to say it went very, very well.
I had a vertical incision and three doctors working on me...the uterus was totally attached to the bowel and the surgen basically had to peeeeeeeel it off...he was concerned he would have to do a subsection on the bowel but it survived without injury. Whew.l

I had a laporoscopy in June and was very uptight so my doctor gave me atavan, sublingual, which I took before going to the hospital. I barely remember the time I spent there with my guy before surgery. I only remember saying good bye to him as I walked into the operating room.

My doctor, masked, said "Hi Laurie I'm here' and that was it for me, out like a light.

When I had the laporoscopy I awoke with a terrible sore throat and a muscle spasm in left shoulder. Oh, and I vomitted for hours before the nausea passed. So, in fact, waking up from the hysterectomy was BETTER because this time around I wasn't nauseous, had lots of pillows around me so I was well supported, and no muscle spasm.

I stayed in hospital for three nights. I was hooked up to the morphine pump for about thirty-six hours, then went to shots of morphine, then oxycocet. The pain was pretty bad but it's subsided now, I'm still taking big time pain killers though.

I found the catheter irritating and was glad when it was out and glad when I peed...the next step was to pass gas. Wasn't I lucky that the visitor I had when the gas started passing had had HER hysterectomy six months before? So we laughed ourselves silly (which hurt) every time I farted. lol.

The next day, my fourth in hospital, I had breakfast and packed to go home.

I may have done too much my first week home, which is to say...anything at all. I find that I can go for an hour, maybe and then be suddenly almost nauseous from exhaustion. So I've actually cut BACK from my first week home.

Thursday I was going to be taken for a nice walkie but by the time I was showered etc. I was too tired to go. Friday I wasdriven, unshowered, to a drug store where I bought Valentines, etc. Also cleanser and stuff for me, satisfying my need to shop.

I'm lucky as I have a new man in my life who dotes on me and takes care of me and gave me lovely V-Day presents. When I saw the box from 'La Vie En Rose' I was surprised but not afraid. I knew he wouldn't have bought me some sexy outfit I couldn't possibly wear, and I was right. HE got me a lovely two piece cotton set and a gorgeous Pucci-type long nightgown...both intended for immediate use, not for some sex-kitten night in the (distant?) future.

I'm a much calmer person already. I had the blues the first ten days or so (hit at 2pm every day) but those have subsided. NOthing much seems to ruffle me .... I just think 'ah we're all human' or something.

Had hot flashes for a week or so after hysterectomy but now flashes and night sweats are gone. Hopefully I won't take any HRT!!

Okay my belly looks pretty ravaged but the doctor got all the endometriosis.... so I'm okay with the vertical scar.

No more female hormones to rule my life. No more menstrual pain. Ever....
can it be?

So listen ladies a hysterectomy is major surgery but if you've given your doctor ALL your info and you have a good doctor and a bit of garden-variety luck, your hysterectomy will go just as well as mine.

Good luck.
love
eeeeeeeek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2004, 01:00 PM
Glad to hear you are home

Thanks so much for letting us know how you are doing! Good luck in the next few weeks, take care of yourself!
Unread 02-14-2004, 02:13 PM
all went well!

wonderful your doing well!! am getting a little nervous but reading your experience really helped. Thanks.

Laurie
LAVH, 2-26-04

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register