Removing Fibroids using laparoscopy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Removing Fibroids using laparoscopy Removing Fibroids using laparoscopy

Unread 09-23-2004, 10:36 PM
Removing Fibroids using laparoscopy

I can't sleep tonight because I am worried about my up coming hysterectomy. (Oct. 5)

Has anyone heard of removing fibroids using laparoscopy?

Also, has anyone been treated sucessfully using a Endocrinologist?

Thank you.

Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2004, 10:51 PM

Hi MaryHelen,

I read your profile and it said you are having a LAVH.

I have read many replies from LAVH ladies on forums saying they were happy with their surgery. From what I have read, a LAVH is done through abdomen incisions and the vaginal area.

I hope you get some LAVH ladies to post with their replies.

I had a LSH due to large fibroids. I am very happy with my surgery results.

Did I worry before surgery?? You betcha!! It felt like 24/7 sometimes. So...do not feel alone on that. I realized that when I was waiting for my hyst, that time passed SO differently then before. You will get through it too.

Best wishes,

Mary
Unread 09-23-2004, 11:09 PM

Hi there

The fibroids don't come out through the lap holes, they are removed through the vagina. Depends on size though as to whether this can be done.

LAVH is an excellent procedure and hopefully you will be fine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-24-2004, 08:38 AM

Hi Mary,I have a large fibroid measuring almost 8cm.My Fibriods will be removed totally through Laproscopic 1/2 insions,not my vagina.I'm having the LSH procedure.They use a tiny tool called a morcellator which disects them in the uterus and they are sucked out through a 1/2 inch insion.Acoording to other LSH sisters and the research Ive done this is the least invasive,and possibly same day surgery. I hope this helps you with your questions.Colleen LSH on Oct 1st..
Unread 09-24-2004, 08:51 PM
Remove fibroids using laparoscopy

Let me clarify my question. Has anyone heard of just removing the fibroids and leaving the uterus using laparoscopy surgery?

I have 6 fibroids, one the size of a small grapefruit and the others size of a golf ball.

My doc. says a hysterectomy is the only one to go because the large fibroid is growing fast and she needs to bioptsy it.

Thanks,

Mary
Unread 09-24-2004, 09:07 PM

I have a friend who had a laproscopic myomectomy a few years back. It was the size of a large lemon, but was pressing down on her cervix. She went on Lupron for three months and then had it removed. She said it didn't shrink much, just to plum sized. She has two little scars on her belly, one around the belly button and the other down towards her bikini line.

There are doctors who will do abdominal myomectomy for sure on large fibroids, even grapefruit sized. Though I'm sure much depends on what type they are and the involvement of other organs. It may be that your doctor is not well-versed in some of the more intricate myomectomies.

Have you considered getting a second opinion?

Take care.
Unread 09-24-2004, 09:44 PM

Hi MaryHelen,

There is also a procedure called a hysteroscopy. A hysterscope is inserted via the vaginal area and it goes up to the uterus area.

From what I understand, the procedure can remove smaller fibroids and it leaves the uterus in tact.

My SIL had the procedure a few years ago to remove two very small fibroids. It was before she had kids and she has two DD's now.

Best wishes,

Mary
Unread 09-24-2004, 10:39 PM

Hi Mary Have you visited our Resources directory yet? There are two good links in there about laparascopic myomectomy:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/lin...=jump&lid=1356

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/lin...n=jump&lid=591

as well as many others about all the options for treating fibroids, including laser ablation:

http://www.obgyn.net/newsrx/womens_h...0001221-37.asp

And, yes, some ladies see an endocrinologist and use hormone-like meds to shrink the fibroids successfully.

It does sound like a second opinion would be a good idea. IMHO a hysterectomy should be a treatment of last resort, after less invasive methods have been tried.

I hope this helps!
s,
-Linda
Unread 09-25-2004, 09:44 AM

I had a hysteroscopy in which my surgeon hoped to find fibriods that were removable through this procedure but it wasn't to be. My fribroids were totally embedded in the uterine wall which made it impossible to remove them without doing a hyster. I ended up having my hyster 6 months later at which time it was necessary for me to maintain life due to extreme anaemia.

We don't go into hysterectomy lightly these days for which I'm glad as it's a total life change - oftentime necessary to sustain long term life but all the same it's a huge change and one that warrants second and third opinions.
Unread 09-25-2004, 06:15 PM

Hi again

It depends on where the fibroids are as to whether they can be safely removed and also the procedure used to do it. My fibroids were on the outside of the uterus so could not be removed by the hysteroscopy. If the fibroids are located within the muscle wall of the uterus then I understand the only way to remove them is to remove the uterus. If they are within the cavity, then the hysteroscopy may be OK.

If the Dr needs to biopsy one of them, then they would not want to morcellate (shred) them for removal, because if cancer was found, then shredding it could spread it throughout the abdomen I would think!

I think a second opinion might help, but whether a hyster is right for you will be based on your age, childbearing desire and the possibility of cancer, which I gather in fibroids is very unlikely.

Good luck, a hard decision but one which many of us face. In my case, my age made it easy for me.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register