Scheduled TLH Upcoming hysterectomy 12/27: The Dr Has Me TERRIFIED | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 12/27: The Dr Has Me TERRIFIED Upcoming hysterectomy 12/27: The Dr Has Me TERRIFIED

Unread 12-14-2017, 01:55 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 12/27: The Dr Has Me TERRIFIED

Hi everyone! I’m scheduled for a TLH on 12/27. Background.. I’ve had 3 c sections and my tubes are cut and burned. I have adenomyosis, a golf ball sized fibroid in my uterus and a cyst the size of a golf ball on my left ovary.. The dr is trying laparoscopic, but will go through my c section scar if necessary. My pre op appointment was yesterday. The dr flat out said that she would give me 50/50 odds that something will go wrong, either a bladder or bowel nick. A bladder nick would result in having to go home in a catheter for two weeks post op. She’s got me utterly TERRIFIED! Has this happened to anyone else? I’m a bit confused as to how she can give those odds without seeing what’s going on? I had a d&c, but they didn’t check on the cyst when that procedure was done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-14-2017, 02:08 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 12/27: The Dr Has Me TERRIFIED

Hiya Sunshine! I’m pretty ignorant when it comes to statistics of these things; hopefully someone else will come along soon that knows more than I. I just wanted to tell you not to panic. Have you thought about getting a second opinion? It doesn’t seem like you’re extremely confident with this doctor now, that’s what I’d do under the circumstances. Lots of ladies get a second opinion on hysterectomies in general. I’d even tell the other doc what gave you pause and see what they say. I’m sorry you’re going through all this. Good luck and keep us updated! I’m glad you’re here, there are lots of knowledgeable ladies around!
Unread 12-14-2017, 02:14 PM
Re: The Dr Has Me TERRIFIED

You have every right to be concerned after a pre-op visit where the doctor says your chances are good that you'll experience a nick in the bladder/bowel. If that had happened to me I would definitely be questioning the doctor's competence and skill level. I would also have second thoughts with going through with the procedure with that particular doctor and would more than likely seek out another surgeon.

It's ultimately your body and your decision. If you're able to put off the procedure while seeking out another surgeon that makes you more comfortable then that's the course I would go. Healing from this surgery is tough enough without being terrified that you may come out of it with a catheter for 2 weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-14-2017, 02:22 PM

I would get a second opinion. Sounds like that physician is not familiar with that procedure. Your physician should never leave you feeling terrified.
Unread 12-14-2017, 02:26 PM

i would get a second opinion. it sounds strange for a dr to say you have a 50/50 chance of a complication. i personally would not let her do surgery on me.
Unread 12-14-2017, 04:01 PM

I would also get a second opinion. Is there less chance of a problem if you just have an open abdominal? Also FYI, my dr had me do a bowel prep so that my bowels would be more compacted and out of the way. She said it made it easie4 for her to maneuver in there.
Unread 12-14-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine0678 View Post

Hi everyone! I’m scheduled for a TLH on 12/27. Background.. I’ve had 3 c sections and my tubes are cut and burned. I have adenomyosis, a golf ball sized fibroid in my uterus and a cyst the size of a golf ball on my left ovary.. The dr is trying laparoscopic, but will go through my c section scar if necessary. My pre op appointment was yesterday. The dr flat out said that she would give me 50/50 odds that something will go wrong, either a bladder or bowel nick. A bladder nick would result in having to go home in a catheter for two weeks post op. She’s got me utterly TERRIFIED! Has this happened to anyone else? I’m a bit confused as to how she can give those odds without seeing what’s going on? I had a d&c, but they didn’t check on the cyst when that procedure was done.

I was given significant risk (75% or higher) of going full open and of bladder and/or bowel damage during the surgery. I woke up in recovery on Monday and my thoughts went like this-- "I'm awake! I'm alive!"... "Hmmmm I feel a little sting but not a big incision, she must not have had to go open..." and "I don't feel a catheter, she must have saved my bladder!"... and it was all correct!!! I did lose a little extra blood but she was able to complete the surgery over 3.5 hours with robotics. I am on day four post op and doing quite well! The Dr said my adhesions were even worse than they had anticipated pre-op. Hopefully you will have a similar outcome! I was absolutely prepared to wake with a full abdominal incision and a cath in place for a couple weeks.
Unread 12-14-2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coughy16 View Post
I would also get a second opinion. Is there less chance of a problem if you just have an open abdominal? Also FYI, my dr had me do a bowel prep so that my bowels would be more compacted and out of the way. She said it made it easie4 for her to maneuver in there.
I also did a bowel prep-- helps so much to get them out of the way!
Unread 12-14-2017, 06:59 PM

You need to discuss doing a bowel prep if your doctor hasn't ordered one for you. To do otherwise could result in your surgery being postponed. Follow your doctor's pre-op orders to the letter.

Unread 12-14-2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine0678 View Post

Hi, deep breath.
Ok. So, according to the various Royal Colleges of Obstetrics & Gynaecology globally, the chances of bladder and/or bowel damage during a hysterectomy particularly if you have a history of abdo surgery including c-sections, is high.
So, your dr isn't incompetent for giving you those stats.
My surgeon (who was known for his endo excision surgery knife skills) told me that I was probably going to have issues. I had a 97% chance that my bladder and uterus would be stuck together.
He was right. He managed to "unstick" my bladder and uterus but my bladder ached for 4 weeks.

Do not do a bowel prep unless ordered by your dr. I did not do a bowel prep. It did not impact negatively on my surgery or recovery.

A second opinion may help ease your mind. Talking again to the original dr may also help.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register