mood swings/depression | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

mood swings/depression mood swings/depression

Unread 09-26-2011, 07:24 AM
mood swings/depression

has anyone else here experienced crazy mood swings and bouts of depression before your surgery?

my poor son - i've been all over him this wkend. he's 17. he's all i have at home. and i've been kinda awful to him. and now, he's really stressing over me & the surgery coming up, etc. i feel awful, but i can't seem to stop myself. he's at the nurse's office at school now becuz he's so stressed & is sick. i'm an awful mom!

have any of you went thru this, as well??

the depression, i think, is the worst. going to talk to my dr about it today, at my pre-op appt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-26-2011, 12:48 PM
Re: mood swings/depression

Don't be so hard on yourself! We've all let hormones get to us at some point.

My hormones got crazy before my hysterectomy and when I had cysts all over my remaining ovary before they took that out 3.5 weeks ago. I have 3 teenage daughters so the hormones in my house...outrageous. I've snapped at them, gone on rampages over the littlest things, and spontaneously decided that chocolate cookies are for dinner. I'm pretty sure I don't win mom of the year for that. I just try my best to always explain and apologize when it was hormones ruling my mood.

Talking about the mood swings and depression can help. Talking to your doctor is a great idea.

I'm struggling with both post-op after that remaining ovary was removed. I thought it was rough losing one on the hormones, that second one showed me how crazy it can get. The good thing is, I also know it gets better. We got them leveled out after the first surgery and oh I can't wait until we get them there again.

Hang in there! I hope it gets better soon for you!
Unread 09-26-2011, 01:14 PM
Re: mood swings/depression

Poor you it is horrible when our hormones get the better of us and we feel and act out of control - it is a difficult time for sure.

I'm sure you've already spoken to your son to reassure him about what is going to happen to you over the next few weeks and how he can help you. My son is also 17 and one evening he was a lot quieter than normal. As I kissed him goodnight a little voice asked me whether I'd recover from the anaesthetic. Turns out he'd been looking on line and had read too much about the risks of anaesthetic. I realised then that although I'd given him a lot of information about what was going to happen, he needed more. We had a long chat which eased a lot of his worries. I also found by giving him specific tasks to do (mainly hoovering and taking care of the washing basket) he found his own niche in the home and the fear he felt at me going into hospital was re-channelled into practical help that he could give me.

Give your boy a hug when he comes back in and see if you can both come up with a plan to help both of you over the next few weeks. 'Worry' lists are a great way of airing those niggling feelings... perhaps you could each make one and see if the other can come up with a way of lessening those worries?

Things will improve for you

A big to you and your son too - and I'm thinking of you both
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register