TAH at 47 keep ovaries or not? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH at 47 keep ovaries or not? TAH at 47 keep ovaries or not?

Unread 10-30-2011, 10:11 PM
Re: TAH at 47 keep ovaries or not?

My doctor said that because of my age and the fact that I have been in perimenopause for a while that he recommended it. I suffer from migraines and fear getting them from hormones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2011, 10:15 PM

Hey Trayck08,

Are we twins? I'm 47, scheduled for November 15th and have to option of keeping my ovaries or not.

I'm choosing to keep them, as long as they appear health during surgery. I weighed the pros and cons and feel the benefits of keeping them are worth any potential risks.

There is no history of ovarian cancer or breast cancer in my family, but heart disease and osteoporosis are common.

I too suffer menstrual migraines and asked this question of our sisters a week or so ago. The results were all over the place. The result is that it's a crap shoot. Here's the thread: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...d.php?t=458676

It's not an easy decision, but I wish you all the best when you make it.

Stay in touch - we can compare notes.
Unread 10-30-2011, 10:40 PM

Went to the thread you posted and the responses are all over the place. I have pre op with my Dr. on the 7th and the list of questions is getting longer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2011, 10:58 PM

I'm 47 and had an SAH in August. I went back and forth on the ovary question. I am at a slightly higher risk for ovarian cancer. I was leaning toward taking them out, but the doctor recommended keeping them since I'm still perimenopausal and could be for several years. However, she said she would support my decision either way. My sister, who was a nurse, said I could always get them removed laproscopically at any point. Her suggestion was to hang on to healthy tissue. That tipped the balance toward keeping them for me. However, there are good reasons for both keeping them and leaving them. Each person has to make the decision that they feel best fits their circumstances, needs and concerns.
Unread 10-30-2011, 11:34 PM

Can't believe the dr's who say oavrian cysts don't hurt! That is why they discovered mine a few yrs back and removed the ovary and tube shortly afterwards. I have also had several friends who have or have had cysts and they always know when they have one because of the pain they get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy269 View Post

I just had at TAH at 35 and a year and a half later I was in having my ovaries and tubes removed because of ovarian cysts. Tried everything - nothing worked - I was in the ER every month "when I would be cycling." First visit to the ER was $31,000 bc dr didn't know what was wrong with me. Turned out after pelvic ultrasound I had a 5 cm ovarian cyst on my right over.
When I had my TAH - there was no ovarian cancer in my family (it was the only cancer missing). Then in April 2011 my mom's older sister was diganosed with Stage 2 Ovarian Cancer - she had a TAH at 35 and left her ovaries.
I was having monthly visits to the ER, the other visits were between $6,000-9,000. I went to my dr after the first $31,000 ER visit, she told me ovarian cysts DO NOT hurt. I think she was smoking crack!!!! Then I had 2 more monthly visits (with a 3-5 hour wait in the ER waiting room) and I decided to get a 2nd option. Went to a new dr and she - let's get them out. I just had the surgery on 10/20/11 - come to find out I had a 7 cm ovarian cyst in my left fallopian tube that was maligent and my left ovary had a ton of smaller cysts 2-3 cm. They were ticking time bombs. I was already on HRT - Vivelle patch after my uterus was removed in 2/9/10. I have no problem with the patch. There is also progesterone cream that you can get from the health store.
Also, make sure to check out the other post of Hyster sisters for alternatives. I find it easier to find information on this website, then go to my dr and say "this is what I want." I love Hystersisters!!!!!

Good luck and remember we are always here for you!!! Keep your chin up and remember if you do have them removed there are alternatives to deal with the issues that may come up!!!!!
Unread 10-31-2011, 10:57 AM

I'm scheduled for Nov 16th, and I'm in the SAME boat as you. My doc wants to remove them.....but, I'm afraid of the long term side effects of removing them...like 20 years from now, will I have super brittle bones?

I have endo and I really want to be pain free. It's almost like pay the piper now (continued pain) or later (HRT risks and brittle bones).

I'm driving myself mad with this decision!
Unread 10-31-2011, 11:41 AM

I turned 48 the day I came home from the hospital, on August 13, 2011 from a tah/bso. I had mine out. The doctor gave me the choice, but also let me know if I kept them, I would continue to cycle, but no uterus impacts. I read that to mean moodiness, swelling, exhaustion, and fuzzy brain which had just started for me, to name a few downsides. My sister is 4.5 years older than me, and showing no signs of stopping her periods. I wanted to feel normal, every day. Additionally, I would gain 5-7 pounds.

I am at 10 weeks, and feel great. I started ERT the day I came home from the hospital, as I am relatively thin.The doctor had told me most bodies have enough stored to last about two weeks, but I would be lucky to go one.

At the end of the first week, I had terrible night sweats, we bumped up the dose for now. I do worry about impacts, but I feel great. By my second day home I was walking around a city block, walking 3 miles by end of second week. I am now running 4-5 miles per day and have lost about 12 pounds. Additionally, i do not swell.

Everyone seems to react differently. I learned it is a personal choice based on how your body reacts to things. Read everything you can find and make the choice you are best equipped to deal with. i did not want to feel old, dry and tired. Nor did I want more of the night sweats, which I have been having for nearly 10 years.

Good luck, and know that a lot of love from those of us on this site is headed your way as you think this through.
Unread 10-31-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meezer1 View Post
Since I absolutely cannot take hormones, I am wondering what other options there are, should my menopause symptoms end up being as awful as yours Marestail :O

I am certainly scared about this. Right now, I am kind of convincing myself that menopause wont be so bad.....I am in denial without a plan for the worst case scenario
There are non-hormone options, such as black cohosh (a friend of mine in natural menopause swears by it), evening promise, and others. Talk to your doc about those items - there are many women who can't take hormones.

Hugs...
Unread 11-12-2011, 03:01 PM

I am 47 and just had my surgery on Monday for same reason as you...large fibroids...size of a football. I had everything removed because I would rather have a hot flash than bad ovaries  I have a script for HRT but have not started it yet. I have had a few few flashes and power surges...not too bad yet. Easier to have one surgery and think about the pills...just one girl's opinion! Be well and good luck!
Unread 11-12-2011, 04:48 PM

Im 51,and for 5 yrs or so, have had hot flashes, night sweats,brain fog, have had abnormal bleeding and clotting for the last yr and a half,
My Paternal Grandmother died of cancer, she had a double mastectomy and then it must have spread because she was loaded with it when she passed..
I want to keep the ovaries,but have had 2 C-sections and my tubes tied, so when the Dr goes in ,we shall see what kind of scaring he finds,the plan is for the uterus and cervix, whatever else we shall see, I cant remember when my mom went through menopause,I think it was mid 50's

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register