Asking for info from anyone who had an LAVH/BSO... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Asking for info from anyone who had an LAVH/BSO... Asking for info from anyone who had an LAVH/BSO...

Unread 06-17-2005, 05:01 AM
Asking for info from anyone who had an LAVH/BSO...

Hi all~

I am scheduled for an LAVH/BSO and would appreciate any info from those of you who have had this type of hysterectomy performed.

I have two sisters (1 with OvCa) and my other sister (prophylactic) who have had TAH/BSO's.

I know how bad recovery can be with a TAH and I understand it's not as bad with an LAVH...primarily not having to deal with an abdominal incision and was also told the gas pains are not as bad.

So...again....I would appreciate hearing back from any ladies who have had experience with the LAVH/BSO...good or bad.

Oh, one last thing, I don't react well to the traditional narcotic pain drugs, i.e., Percocet, etc. I also get very sick from anesthesia and asked my surgeon when I had my gallbladder out to be sure I was given Zofran for nausea before and after the surgery. That worked very well. Any thoughts on meds?

Thanks in advance.

's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-17-2005, 06:40 AM

I had a LAVH/BSO three years ago on May 6th. My sister just had an abdominal hysterectomy/BSO May 6th this year, 2005. Mine for endometriosis and my sister had endo, but a benign mass too. They told her it was most likely cancer, but it was not. Thank God. I want you to know that I was scared as scared could be to have the LAVH/BSO as I had endo surgery before that and recovery from just that was rough. However, having had the LAVH/BSO was the BEST thing I ever did medically for myself. I remember all my fears though, it is normal. I did have a rough recovery, but later found out it is because I have a genetic collagen problem that causes healing to be slower. I did have some complications, but came through them all. You do not have the scar that they have with the addominal, as I know my sister has had to deal with intense itching at her scar site. I was on MScontin and hydrocodone for many weeks, and then weaned off slowly the MS contin, after about a month. I did need a lot of help with my child. So please make sure you have a lot of help for that first month. The gas pains were really bad while in the hospital even with LAVH/BSO and I was "fighting them." Once I realized I was holding by breath through the pain and change to breath through it, like in lamaze classes, the gas pains were not as much to deal with. So do some type of breathing instead of gritting your teeth and holding the breath--it really works. Look on the search button for what you need and you will find so much help. The hystersisters site is what helped me immensely. I wish I would have bought the swelly belly item for my sister as she needs it with the abdominal incision. You will still get "swelly belly," however, it DOES go away. I remember thinking the same as my sister at first, "I made a mistake getting this hysterectomy," when at first healing and thinking you will stay the way you feel. No, no, no....it goes away, you do heal....and for me and so many others, say "thank God I had my hysterectomy," as now my pain is gone. Some don't have pain and it might be harder to appreciate the hysterectomy. For me, I know that at 10 weeks after the Hysterectomy, I felt like a teenager again! That is my story. Hope it helps. God bless and I will say a prayer for you quick recovery.
Unread 06-17-2005, 08:02 AM

I just had a LAVH & RSO on May 25th. I am now 3 weeks post-op and feeling pretty good. I still have my lifting restrictions but other than that I am doing my normal routine. My emotions were pretty tough to deal with until this week.
I usually get really sick with anesthesia but talked with the anestesiologist before surgery. She gave me something nasty to drink (it was about 2 teaspoons full) and told me that there were certain gasses that she would stay away from and give me more of the IV meds instead. I woke up this time with NO nausea at all. It was wonderful. Usually I am sick for 2 weeks even with the nausea meds. But this time was so different.
Good luck! And try not to worry. It wasn't nearly as bad as I had expected. The first night was rough but after that the pain cut in half.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-17-2005, 08:57 AM

This is my 3rd week also and many things went thru my mind. Before the anestesia, you can ask for a little patch they place in back of your ear so when you wake up from the surgery you won't feel the sickness that it normally gives you. So be sure to ask about this great choice.

I had a very tough two weeks, crying spells, gas, swelly belly and over active bowel movements. My only complaint is that I am too regular now, going 3-4 times a day and afterwards I feel weakm nervous and ready to pass out. I guess is part of the healing process since is still sensitive down there. But over all THANK TO THE BIG LORD, the life giver, I AM feeling better and with more energy! NO PAIN, but the gas where too much.

Hope this helps.
Unread 06-17-2005, 09:07 AM

I had a LAVH on May 19. This is my 4th week post op. Feeler better than I did before surgery. I have to make myself slow down and remember not to lift yet. My only complaint through the whole recovery was gas pains the first few days. They actually hurt worse than the surgery. I found out quickly not to drink soft drinks (they caused more gas). My best advice to you is to walk as much as you can. This helped get rid of the gas. Also ask your doctor if you can take gas x. That helped me also. And try to avoid gas causing foods. Good luck with your surgery. If you have any questions, you can email me. I will be glad to answer them for you. Take care!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register