Not ready!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 07-10-2011, 10:08 AM
Not ready!!!

My TVH is on Tuesday. I made all these plans to make and freeze meals and all that. Now that I have reached my deadline, nothing is done! getting ready for bday party, tying up lose ends at work, etc.... Now I'm really freaking out! I have got the house cleaned, laundry done. Any ideas for fast, easy meals my DH can whip up to feed the family? I jave 3 children and my father also lives with us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-10-2011, 10:46 AM
Re: Not ready!!!

Well, I would get frozen Lasagna, Frozen Pizza, Bagged Salads, Frozen Garlic Bread etc...basically buy out your grocers freezer and of course anything easy to prepare. I have 2 little ones (1 1/2 and 4 1/2 yrs old) that luckily my parents were able to help me with. My husband tried his best to be helpful aswell. Luckily I recovered super quick. I was off narcotic pain meds on day 3 surviving on Advil. I sadly read some much more devastating posts on recovery. It scared me more than helped. Then there were some that wrote of great experiences in regards to their recovery. Those posts resignated in my mind and kept me strong in the minutes before my uterus's demise (LOL). I wish you the best in what you are going through.
Unread 07-10-2011, 10:49 AM

Stur Frys are nice and easy, also sloppy joes (most kids love them). Spagetti, even with a bottled sause with meat added (or not). Does he like to make Sat morning breakfast sometimes? Breakfast for dinner could be a nice treat now and again...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-10-2011, 11:50 AM

I found freezing cooked meat helpful. I packaged up several bags of ground meat, chicken, and ham. Then all my husband had to do was defrost and add the extras--spaghetti sauce, taco seasonings, scalloped potatoes. I also stocked up on frozen veggies, and fruit that needed little prep time--grapes, apples, etc.

After surgery I was not hungry for a long time and really enjoyed soup. This might be another easy meal for your family. I hope all goes well with your surgery!
Unread 07-10-2011, 12:06 PM

Absolutely nothing wrong with good old peanut butter and jelly with a glass of milk!

If you can make some taco seasoned meat and freeze it, he can make microwave quasadillas...just add meat (ground beef or chicken) and cheese and nuke 'em for a few seconds.

I personally LOVE Chef Boyardee ravioli and beefaroni, and bought some for my husband to warm up for my lunches. Kids love it too.

Breakfast for dinner is a GREAT idea - most daddies are pretty good pancake makers - leave out the cookie cutters so they can make some fun shapes!

Do you have a fire pit or fire bowl in the back yard? Hot dogs over the fire would be fun for everyone, too. Don't forget S'more stuff for dessert!

It might be fun to ask the kids what they can help daddy make for supper - get them involved - it will be an adventure for all of them - and they will survive for a while without you! Just be sure to remember to take care of yourself...they won't do it the way you would, but it will be okay. Hopefully, they will value you that much more when you are back on your feet!
Unread 07-10-2011, 01:12 PM

I planned on cooking up meals ahead and as the time grew closer and freezer space was limited, I didnt do it. We have managed just fine.
Ive actually found that I am completely capable of standing or sitting on my stool and mixing, stirring, frying. I just have to have the families assistance in lifting everything, pouring things...
We made spaghetti and corn on the cob one night, dh threw some chicken breasts on the grill one night and we had early peas and some oven roasted potatoes in the oven. There are lots of little freezer bag quick meals that can be thrown together just by following directions.
Honestly, I had so little appetite since coming home that big meals have been a waste. I agree that we are all totally happy with a hot dog or PBJ LOL Its not like we are gonna eat like that forever.
Unread 07-10-2011, 11:29 PM

Pizza delivery!!!
Unread 07-10-2011, 11:37 PM

I had my surgery a little over a week ago, I police you wasn't totally ready. I swallowed my pride and called friends to help, they have dropped off dinners & we so happy to help. My parents have helped too! You need to know, nobody will starve, everyone will get fed, ask for help, & get lots of rest... It will pay off, this is your time, put yourself first right now, then you can heal well & go back to handling and juggling everything.. Good luck to you, Ps- the bowel prep was the worst part of my surgery, I have endometriosis.
Unread 07-11-2011, 12:23 AM

Is there a Costco near you?
Buy the frozen lasagna, rotisserie chicken, lettuce, frozen chicken tenders,
fruit, veggies etc.
How old are your kids?
I would make it a family event and have them help me get some future meals ready.
A big pot of spaghetti sauce and then pour the sauce into family sized portions and then freeze. Cook pasta and bread plus a green salad.
Just defrost the sauce every time.

Do not plan on cooking. You will be too weak for at least 2 weeks. No standing and cooking, no picking up more than 5 pounds.

Send DH to Costco for a pizza or the chicken.
Buy sliced meats.
Fully stock your refrigerator.
Ask members of your family to bring a cooked meal over.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register