ARRRRRGGGGGGG trying to quit smoking on top of all this other stuff | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

ARRRRRGGGGGGG  trying to quit smoking on top of all this other stuff ARRRRRGGGGGGG trying to quit smoking on top of all this other stuff

Unread 05-07-2004, 09:49 AM
ARRRRRGGGGGGG trying to quit smoking on top of all this other stuff

ARRRRGGGGGGGGGGG. I’m already stressed to the max and hurting like hell. On top of all that my dr. told me I need to quit smoking. She said if I didn’t I would pay for it after the surgery due to anesthesia unless I was planning on just getting an epidural. I know I should quit anyway. I’ve been saying for years I should and I DON’T want to be awake for this even if I am numb from the epidural. But jeeesh. Raging hormones, painful cramps, anxiety over all this and a 4 year old to try to be patient with and raise is making it SOOOOOOOOOOO hard. My DBF bought me patches. But even with those i am having trouble. It would be so much easier if I didn’t feel so bad and could go out and work in my flowerbeds or something else to keep me busy and keep my mind off how bad I would really LOVE a ciggy. Any suggestions on how to make this easier?? I had a miscarriage 5 years ago. I smoked then too and ended up with pleurisy after they put me under for my d&c. I know I don’t want to go through that again. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-07-2004, 09:56 AM

Quit smoking is so diffucult. With the added stress and anxiety, it is unbearable (sp?)

Anyway, my Dr. told me to quit also and I have tried and tried since I knew when my date was at the "castle". I have cut down to about two a day, but sometimes it is more.

Hang in there, we will be better off and feel much better when we actually do it.

Good luck and keep me posted.

Terry
Unread 05-07-2004, 10:21 AM

Check out www.whyquit.com. Click under reasons to quit and check out post operative complications. Your Dr. is telling you the right thing when he says you shouldquit before your surgery.1 out of 3 people who smoke have post-operative complications versus 1 out of 50 for non-smookers. That sisters is a big difference. Smoking is not going to make you feel better.
Good luck with your quit. You have a 90% better chane of success if you just go cold turkey. Just never take another puff. Break it down to one day at a time, one hour at a time, one minute at a time. Just don't take another puff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-07-2004, 10:42 AM

I quit like a month before my wedding, quitting was hard but i knew if i didn't quit before my wedding when i was living with my parents i would only end up smoking more living with my DH.

Anyways, quitting is hard, I ended up in the emergency room with breathing problems and the doctor told me it was just that my lungs want to breath like before when i inhaled from ciggs.

Anyways they suggested i have a menthol losenger whenever I crave a cig, they said it will trick your lungs and stuff. ( I never smoked menthol either) I took their advise and it worked great!! I've been smoke free for 7 years! Yes I still get cravings now and then. My DH also quit a few years after me and did the menthol losenger thing to and it worked great for him also. I went through a lot of menthol losengers but it worked!

Try it and see if it helps, their healthier than a cig. I wish you the best of luck quitting, go cold turkey if you can you won't beleive how much healthier you feel in a week after quitting!

Take care,
Unread 05-07-2004, 10:56 AM

Hi,
I waited for the castle to quit or try too, urggg I hear ya, I woke up so angry and wanted to smoke sooooo bad!!! I used the patches but found they where making me very sick to my stomach, so when I got home I go outside to smoke which I did not do, and that really helped, everytime I crave one I try and "skip" just that one smoke and find I have cut out several a day just skipping that one. I also took up crochecting again (spell) and popcorn, it seems the hand to mouth thing is the worse, also had someone bring my suckers in the castle. I am not doing great but have cut down between 1//3 and 3/4 of what I did smoke depending on the day. go easy on yourself you can't quit unless YOU want to. Not some doctor, we know it is bad for us that is not the problem it is the habit...they say it takes 14 days to break a habit???
Good luck and hugs
M
Unread 05-07-2004, 11:08 AM

Just my two cents. I got really scared when I read your post about greater complications if you smoke. I agree we should follow our DR. advice so I just called mine, as they had not mentioned me quitting prior to surgery. They actually told me not to worry about it right now but to wait till about 4-6 weeks post op because my body will be going through enough changes as it is, and not to stress about it for now. She also said about 50% of their patients smoke and have not had complications. Now mind you my op is scheduled for monday. Maybe yours is months away and you have more time to worry about quitting. I don't have that option and quitting now would really send me into a tissy. My dh who really wants me to quit told me the same thing two days ago. So for me I'm gonna listen to them and not stress. For those who are quitting now, My prayers are with you.
Unread 05-07-2004, 11:26 AM

I've also been trying to quit.With my last surgery I was told no smoking for 24 hrs. before. I chew gum and try to stay busy.I still smoke a little over half a pack a day. I know I will feel better when i do quit.I've tried cold turkey,but was to hard.so I do try to quit one at a time.I've seen smoke away at the store now, was thinking of trying that.The patches help but I still smoke with them.Just keep trying until you find what works for you. Even with cutting down I've noticed that i cough less.I know it is hard with kids. maybe playing games or something with them will help keep you all occupied.
Sandy
Unread 05-07-2004, 12:18 PM

I actually made my quit day the day before surgery and I have been smoke free since!!! However it has only be alomst 2 weeks but it is a start!!!!
Good luck
Unread 05-08-2004, 10:52 PM
smoking

Hi sisters

I am a smoker and I am 32 almost 33 and I have been smoking for 9 years now and the Dr told me to stop smoking a couple of days before surgery or I may or could have an Asthma attack while sleep. That really scared me but I feel like I need it. I have 2 sons they are 10 and 12 and the 12 year old is ADHD and let me tell you I need Menthol after a hr with him . (ha) He is a hand ful. I don't know what to do. I want to be relaxed but I don't want to make matters worst. Please what can I do for the next week to stop smoking by then. Thanks
Unread 05-09-2004, 06:49 PM

Hi,
I would love to encourge you and would think it great if you quit, but it is a stressful time, so if you really want to it may just be will power, and maybe the patches? I did not quit and have smoked for far too many years, I waited until I was in the castle to stop, made it 4 days and have cut down so very mcuh in the last 11 days but it is hard and I refuse to beat myself up as long as I try. I had no breathing problems at all. Now I am not saying not to quit I am sure that is best, but if you can't ...I just think the doctor was trying to scare you if it worked again GREAT, the best thing but I couldn't, I was to stressed. Go easy on you and just do your very best.
Best Wishes to you and fast recovery
M

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register