Will I need a shower chair - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Will I need a shower chair Will I need a shower chair

Unread 11-12-2005, 05:01 PM
Will I need a shower chair

I didn't use a shower chair but the plastic chair sounds like a good idea. I did, however, expand on the tip of using a chair beside the bed to assist in getting and out. I used one in the bathroom to give me additional support when stepping in and out of our tub/shower. A word of caution: don't shower when no one else is home...at least for the first few days; just in case you should feel faint.

I purchased a long-handle shower brush so I could reach my legs and feet without too much bending. This can be found in special needs catalog, website or medical supply store.

As for shaving my legs, I left them alone until I could manage it. However, some sisters have recommended enlisting the assistance of their DHs.

Best of luck to you for your surgery and recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-12-2005, 05:26 PM

Mori,
I have a neuromuscular disease and use a hospital bed, and I LOVE my bedside table. They don't cost that much really, and it is so convienent for me. Of course I spend much more time in bed than the typical hyster patient, but I love it because it holds all my "stuff", and I can put my plate on it and eat right there when I need to (which is at least one meal a day). I put my remotes, water cup, toothbrush/toothpaste, word search books, novels, salt and pepper (I have little mini shakers) and pens/pencils on my bedside table. I bought some cute little bathroom organizers at Target which hold all my junk, which leaves room for my plate or my word search books when I am working on them.

My sister had a hip surgery a couple years ago, and mom set her up in my room in the recliner (it hurt too much for her to sleep in a bed). Mom slept on the couch and we called it "Nana's Nursing Home" LOL. But we put my bedside table between my hospital bed and Jaimes recliner and both used it. She loved it so much she thought of getting one just because but she had a water bed so it wouldn't work for her bed.

Anyway, I would personally reccomend it, even if it is not "necessary" because it is SO convienet.

As for the shower chair, I don't use one of those. I have a bathtub and have a little bathtub bench to sit on and then get down into the bath with (I just love soaking in my baths, and can't shower so it is the next best thing). I am STILL not healed enough to get into the bath though, but I am sure looking forward to it. I see the gyno next Wed, really hoping he gives me the go ahead, its been 3.5 months! If you feel like you might have trouble standing, I would do what the other ladies said and get the plastic patio chair, because when you don't need it anymore you can put it outside.

Nikki
Unread 11-13-2005, 03:33 AM

I agree with mori, I have had other abdominal surgeries, and the plastic patio chair, place in the shower works great, and is tons cheaper. Please take care, God bless.
Cindy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2005, 08:56 AM

some type of supportive device or board I would think would be nice to have...if you care for it, you just might wind up using it down the road. If the insurance is paying for it...GO FOR IT NOW before they change their mind
Unread 11-13-2005, 04:23 PM

Hey Nikki, long time no see -- it's nice to see you here. Hope you've been doing well.

Little Soilder, I did get a shower chair of sorts, more like a small bench with just a very short back. I was really glad to have it because I felt pretty weak the first couple of weeks after my surgery, and standing long enough to take a shower would have been difficult. Bending over was pretty much out of the question, so shaving was not an option either for about a month (yuck). I got the shower chair at Eckerd Drugstore for under $30, which is less than what the medical supply stores were charging.

One of the plastic patio chairs is a great idea. Just measure to see if it will fit in your shower before you buy one. It didn't in my case.

Best wishes for your surgery and an easy, uneventful recovery.
Unread 11-13-2005, 11:36 PM

Are plastic patio chairs stable enough to be used in a wet shower?

Just wondering,
Janie
Unread 11-14-2005, 02:43 AM

cjcj has a good point.
I have one of those 'perching stools' in my kitchen and my bathroom and when I tried it in my shower it wouldn't fit.

Denton 56, good point - maybe on top of a non-slip mat?

Miz
Unread 11-14-2005, 11:16 AM

I didn't need a shower chair and had no problems taking showers. However, I didn't even attempt to shave my legs until the second week. Luckily I have very light colored hair and no one but me would really notice how hairy my legs got. I was always very tired and hurting afterwards so be sure you rest. It is also a good idea to have someone available to help you during those first few showers just in case you feel weak or dizzy.
Unread 11-24-2005, 01:18 AM
Patio Shower Chair Advice

Hi Everyone! And here I thought my DH was soooooo original for thinking of this all by himself! lol Since I thought I might be a little weak from not eating enough at the castle due to just a tad of nauseousness, I asked him to 'create' me a chair. He placed a bathtowel laid out underneath it so it wouldn't slide and then a folded towel on the seat (for comfort). Yes, some added laundry for him, but hey, he needs the practice, believe me.........LOL. The first time I tried it, I thought the concept was great, but I found that the shower head was too far away for effective hair washing. I ended up setting the chair (it's very light) at the back of the tub and taking a regular shower. It felt wonderful. As far as shaving is concerned, the pits get attention, but south of the border can wait. Besides, don't most of us do the thorough shaving routine before 'extra curricular activities' anyway? lol So I have about 3 more weeks of non-shaving for this princess!! I'll probably need a weed-wacker by then, but I'll worry about that later!

*A special note to Mori: Items I actually used at the castle.......comb, robe, 1 set of clothes to wear home, gripper socks (for my leisurely strolls), deoderant. Everything else was provided or I didn't need.

Take care sisters!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register