What did your adenomyosis feel like? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What did your adenomyosis feel like? What did your adenomyosis feel like?

Unread 06-02-2007, 12:48 PM
What did your adenomyosis feel like?

Hi ladies. I am scheduled fro a hysterectomy on June 29. I put off having the hysterectomy for a long time. I have had painful periods with heavy bleeding for years. I am 36, I have three kids, and I had a tubal ligation 8 years ago. I had an endometrial ablation two years ago that stopped almost all of my bleeding. Now, I have tremendous pain. I used to have pain around the time I ovulated and during my period, but the pain has been constant for the last several months. I put off the hysterectomy because I am a teacher and I wanted to finish the school year. I decided that I would teach four weeks of summer school as well because I can really use the money for my kids' education. Now I am regretting it because the pain has become so severe. I exercise daily, but I am not able to because I have lost range of motion in my hip and right leg. I walk with a constant limp. I wake up a night probably 8 times to use the bathroom. I just struggle with believing that all this can be caused by adenomyosis. Will some of you please share your experiences with adenomyosis? A part of me just can't beleive that an enlarged uterus can cause all of this. My doctor alos brought up post-ablation syndrome. Anyone out there with this lovely diagnosis?

Dee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2007, 02:58 PM

I had adenomyosis, and fibroids, for me it was very painful.....I had pelvic pressure most of the time that felt like a bowling ball sitting on my pelvic bone, and it made my hips hurt on the inside of the hip...would take my breath away at times and I could hardly lift my leg to step, I had very bad pms cramping and heavy periods with large clots that would fill your palm, during my period it felt like labor contractions and would have low back pain so bad I could hardly get out of a chair. There were times I wouldn't leave the house during this time. I would wake up at least 3 times a night to pee. I was always tired and took naps almost daily due to being anemic...I know since having surgery I have no pain at all and I have not been to the chiropractor since surgery. I was going every couple weeks, My uters was almost 4X normal size, my hyster was the best thing I have ever done....I feel like I have my life back!!! I am 39 w/ 2 kids.
Unread 06-02-2007, 03:13 PM

Hi,

My adenomyosis experience is horrible...I'm scheduled for my hyst on 6/8 and I'm a wreck. But, I'll tell you...I also walk with a limp and my left side is always killing me...in addition to the uterine pain...its awful...sometimes its hard to eat! I've had bowel problems for years...and to think this could all be related is blowing my mind! Its not just the uterus thats enlarged...think about it...our bodies go out of wack...the reason why our adeno exists in the first place is because we produce so much estrogen. Ours body is made up of chemicals and hormones...and frankly I'm all set with being off balance!

Adeno is a very scary diagnosis because of the fact that the only "cure" is the hyst...but the alternative to me is worse. I too want my quality of life back! I'm going to be 39 this month and have 2 children...keep us posted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-03-2007, 11:33 AM

My adeno started 7 years before my hyster. It felt like I was being stabbed in the rectum/pelvic area with an ice pick. It brought me to my knees. I only happened during my period. I could not sit on a hard chair at all and I could not drive more than 20 minutes without that feeling coming back. Standing brought on the stabbing and cramping too. At times it literally felt like my uterus was a wet rag and someone was wringing it out as hard as they could. I couldn't bend over to pick something up or tie my shoes without feeling like I had a huge rock in stomach. Tons of Motrin, a very hot bath or shower and laying in bed were the only things that gave me relief. I too was shocked to see how much pain such a small part of my body could cause. No more though! All the pain is gone. I feel so much better now. I had endo too and just to gently touch my abdomen sent me through the roof. I can mash on it now with no pain at all.

I wish you the best in your journey, for me, the surgery changed my life. I'm my old self again.

Sandra
Unread 06-03-2007, 01:19 PM

I was in so much pain I thought my insides were falling out. I had pain that radiated down my legs and in my groin area. I felt like I had to get up and pee a lot throughout the day. I had back pain and felt like I had cramps most days and when I did have my period it was 10 times worse.

I'm 7 weeks post op and feel better than ever. I hope all goes well.

Take care.
Unread 06-03-2007, 05:26 PM

I forgot about the insides falling out part and the back pain. And as I read other posts about how bad others felt, I honestly have forgotten most of it. In almost 9 weeks I've forgot the pain I used to be in. Another reminder I am so glad I did this!

Sandra
Unread 06-03-2007, 06:46 PM

My GYN hasn't confirmed my adeno with path yet...but is pretty sure I had it, he said my uterus was so large he had to section it. Whatever path finds, even at 11 days I feel like a new woman. I can walk without that horrid pelvic pressure and pain along with the back pain and my sciatic pain is gone! Even with the wonderful positions they had me in. If I could just get rid of the fatigue, I'd be one happy camper, but I'm happy with what I have to date!
Unread 06-03-2007, 07:19 PM

I am so glad to hear from all of you. You have made me feel more confident in my decision to have a hysterectomy. I know I have to do something because the sciatic pain is really affecting my mobility. It interferes with my job and my life at home. I have noticed swelling in my abdominal area, similar to an early stage pregnancy. I'm curious if any of you had this and if I can look forward to it going away after surgery. Thanks for all of your encouraging words. Isn't this site great?!

Dee
Unread 06-03-2007, 07:54 PM

Please don't be afraid of the hysterectomy. I put my surgery off for over two years. That was a mistake. My adeno was really interfering with my quality of life.

I'm six months out now, no more pain, no more feeling like I'm going to bleed to death. No more buying 3-4 boxes of tampons a month. The backaches are gone, the bloating is gone, the pelvic pain, the nausea. I used to have terribly irregular bowels, etc.

At first after the surgery I had the usual healing hiccups, but I'm telling you I feel like a whole new person. I'm 46 and am going to be a grandmother in about 6 weeks and I am so excited! My life is beginning all over.

No more Adeno......................
Unread 06-03-2007, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebutrfly
Hi,

My adenomyosis experience is horrible...I'm scheduled for my hyst on 6/8 and I'm a wreck. But, I'll tell you...I also walk with a limp and my left side is always killing me...in addition to the uterine pain...its awful...sometimes its hard to eat! I've had bowel problems for years...and to think this could all be related is blowing my mind! Its not just the uterus thats enlarged...think about it...our bodies go out of wack...the reason why our adeno exists in the first place is because we produce so much estrogen. Ours body is made up of chemicals and hormones...and frankly I'm all set with being off balance!

Adeno is a very scary diagnosis because of the fact that the only "cure" is the hyst...but the alternative to me is worse. I too want my quality of life back! I'm going to be 39 this month and have 2 children...keep us posted!
Good luck with your surgery.....mine is Thursday and I am not nervous yet,just ready for it to be over.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register