Hospital bill - Oh my!! - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hospital bill - Oh my!! Hospital bill - Oh my!!

Unread 02-13-2008, 12:37 PM
Hospital bill - Oh my!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by java jane
ahdawnn~

Same... We moved to CO a little over 2 yrs ago, and my husband had just got his teaching degree. We came with no job, no family, just a leap of faith that this was where God wanted us. That first year DH was a sub, and he and our 2 DD were able to get private insurance. My DS is mild autistic, so automatic denial for private ins, as was I due to my gyn problems. DS and I both were on Medicaid, and I had D&C with lap while on it. I paid $5.00 for my surgery, $0 for pain meds. Now we have regular insurance as DH is teaching full time, but I also see nothing wrong with asking for help if you need it. There was no way I could have gone to the doc or had that OP surg done otherwise, I would have had to suffer through...
I'm glad that you responded to this post because I was trying to figure out what happens when you don't have insurance. At least now I know that there are programs to assist, you just have to find them and ask. I guess if I had really thought about it, I would realize that James 4:2 applies here too.

Thanks for the educaiton. Blessings on you and your family.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2008, 02:08 PM
Hospital bill - Oh my!!

The funny thing is the insurance doesn't actually pay all of the amount billed. I got my bill yesterday just for the hospital Total Charges $25,105.00. My insurance actually paid them $6,279.37. My total out of pocket due is $579.30. Can't wait for the rest of the bills to roll in

My ER visit in October 07 I was admitted for the night. I got IV meds and an Ultrasound Transitional and Vaginal, and a bed for the night. Total Charges $8,020.28. Insurance paid $3,743.99. My total out of pocket due $660.70.

So for both visits Total Insurance Adjustments $-21,862.80

Where do they come up with these numbers in negotiation LOL.

Of course I am glad for the adjustments but sheesh
Unread 02-13-2008, 02:48 PM
Hospital bill - Oh my!!

Sounds funny that they give the insurance companies breaks in what they have to pay but not the individuals! Seems off somehow.....unless I am just mistaken on how it works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2008, 02:52 PM
Hospital bill - Oh my!!

It is interesting how different the negotiated price is from the billed price. I remember for a outpatient surgery I had last May the doctor billed $45,000. The negotiated rate was probably half of that. The insurance paid only $14,000 and stated the patient portion was $14,000. I about died when I got that statement from the insurance, but the doctor only charged me $400, what a relief!

My doctor's surgery center is located in the same building as my daughter's orthodontist, on opposite ends, in fact. It's in a shopping center not far from my house, so I drive by often and like to point out to my daughter, yep, I paid for that Escalade, I paid for that Porsche. Seriously though, I have nothing but respect for doctors (my FIL is a retired cardiologist), so I'm just having fun.
Unread 02-13-2008, 04:14 PM
Hospital bill - Oh my!!

The only way, in my state, that the gov. will help with the bills is if you do not own any property, have a low income, etc.
So if no insurance, I don't know how people survive....I guess that is why there is so much talk from the President hopefuls about healthcare.
Some people just do not have any....
Unread 02-13-2008, 04:51 PM
Hospital bill - Oh my!!

Hi All,
I was lucky because when I found out that I had cancer I did not have insurance and was given a case worker who helped me get medicaid. my bill so far is a little over 20,000 but because i was accepted with medicaid it is paid at 100% and we owed some money to the hospital for my daughter and they paid that too They won't however pay for my prescrip for boniva so I have to get something else but hey what can you do? Good luck all
Unread 02-13-2008, 05:59 PM
Hospital bill - Oh my!!

Im so lucky to have good insurance. My TAH cost about 14,000 for 2nights, three days not including the preops and labs, It costs me nothing except for $25.00 for my tv/phone.
Unread 02-16-2008, 05:55 PM
Hospital bill - Oh my!!

Well, after 3-1/2 months, I FINALLY got a statement from my insurance for the hospital (I guess the hospital wasn't too anxious for the money if it took this long!). The grand total for my luxurious 2-day stay (NOT) at the castle was $39,000. I'm not sure how that breaks down but WOW! I was prepared to faint until I saw at the bottom that I would owe $0 of that. So thankful!!!
Unread 02-16-2008, 06:25 PM
Hospital bill - Oh my!!

Lorainnemalone,

I just got my bill from my hospital. This is ONLY for the hosptial stay/expenses. I'm curious what my hosptial stay/expenses compares to yours since we are in the same city basically, but different hosptials. I don't have my doctor's bills yet. This bill is from my hospital, not the insurance company. I was really shocked because I expected it to be much higher based off of what your total bills were.

My total hospital bill for a 2 night stay + expenses was: $10,676.80.

Here's the breakdown:

room-board - $2650
pharmacy - $292.18, and $47.12
Laboraatory - $25.70
Hematology - $75.50
Lab/Urology - $44.75
Pathology Lab - $511.20
OR Services - $5265.00
Anesthesia - $886.50
Recovery room - $878.85

After hearing your total was $31,000 (total for everthing), I fully expected my hospital bill to come out much larger since we are in the same area. I'm assuming the actual hospital bill is much higher than the actual surgeon's costs. Our hospitals were probably less than 30 miles from each other. but, now I'm thinking once I get the doctor's bills, my whole cost will be under $20,000.... if my hospital bill was only $10,000.... I can't imagine my surgeon's bills will be more than $8,000....

Maybe there are still more bills to come that I haven't thought of ... I can't think of what else they'd be charging me for except what is on this hospital bill, and then my doctor's bills (including surgeon costs, etc).

What was your actual hospital bill costs, if you have them? I'm just curious. I'll be really amazed if they are drastically different because i guess I assumed medical costs would be similar within a state. but, maybe not.

Well, regardless, we have excellent insurance, so I'm not worried about how it'll be paid... it's just very interesting is all.

Take care!
Unread 02-16-2008, 06:38 PM
Hospital bill - Oh my!!

Hey Loves to Run!

I haven't gotten an itemized bill from the hospital yet, but I did get the EOB from my insurance company. This is how they itemized:

Room & Board (2 nights) - $3300
Misc Services (No idea!) - $1547
Laboratory - $366
OR/Surgery - $17,204
More Misc Services - $4208
Even more Misc Services - $1680
More Labs - $207
Anesthesia - $2083

I'm really curious to see the hospital's itemized bill to see what all the "miscellaneous services" are. Look at the differences between your OR/Surgery costs and mine. I wonder why there's such a big difference?!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register