Considering Ablation or Hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Considering Ablation or Hysterectomy Considering Ablation or Hysterectomy

Unread 08-03-2003, 11:24 AM
Considering Ablation or Hysterectomy

Howdy Everyone!

I am confused about what to do. I've had heavy, clotty periods ever since I got the first one at age 11. They at times in my life have been painful and to the point I have had to avoid certain activities (and "double bag" wearing a tampon and pad--in the Army I actually had to skip a five mile run because I wouldn';t make it up the hill and back without bleeding through!) I am 35, no kids, tubal at age 29, D&C at age 31 for heavy bleeding, thickened endometrium. Interestingly diagnosed with 2 fibroids via CT scan and ultrasouond in 1998 but told by the doc who did my D&C I did not have fibroids. he The D&C worked for awhile but in the last 18 months or so I have been having lots of spotting between periods, it starts no less than 4 days before my period starts--for example, I started spotting on Friday July25, started bleeding with clots on Tuesday July 29, and am finishing my period up with just brown discharge still today (August 2). This makes 10 days of mess. Often on day 20 or so if DH and I have sex I bleed--I was disgusted hence trip to new gyn (lots of medical staff changes here in town). I took in a chart of menstrual patterns (spotting, sore breasts) to my gyn and after reviewing my records he asked, "How soon do you want a hysterectomy?" I told him to slow down so we could discuss options. I don't do well with hormones (had a bad reaction to the birth control pill), so I decided against the Mirena IUD. He also offered the Novasure ablation. He tested my blood and I am not anemic.

I have some time to decide what I want to do--DH and I are switching health insurances and we won't do anything until January or Februar 2004. I am considering the ablation but might also consider the laparascopic supracervical hysterectomy if it is simple and won't throw me into instant menopause (I'd like to keep my ovaries and continue to enjoy sex when Im not bleeding) Any thoughts???

PPierce2, confused
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-03-2003, 04:32 PM
thoughs

Having such a major surgery is such a difficult choice. A choice that ultimately must be your alone. I can say though, that you can not keep on going the way you are. I hope that through this site you will find answers to your questions. I will say that now that I am no longer in pain all the time, sex is more fulfilling than ever with my husband...and I have no ovaries or HRT. I do however think I now own stock in KY. If there is nothing wrong with your ovaries, I would certainly hang on to them if I could. I hope I have helped you at least a little. Good Luck and
Unread 08-03-2003, 05:57 PM

Hi Ppierce2,

The ablation might be a good alternative, depending on the cause of the excessive bleeding. If you have adenomyosis (sort of like endometriosis but it grows inside the uterus and into the uterine wall) then an ablation will not provide a "cure." Only a hyst can cure adenomyosis.

If your problems are dysfunctional bleeding (and not adeno) then the ablation might give you good relief. Here is a link to a resource area at the top of this forum where we have links to other websites with great information about a variety of reproductive problems. Scroll down to the links for information on ablation. Hope this helps!

Options and Alternatives Resources

Beth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-03-2003, 06:28 PM

I will tell you a little about my experience. I have always had heavy and painful periods. I had 2 C-sections (one at age 17 and the other at age 20) I had my tubes tied after the second one. At age 28 I had a D & C because I was having periods that lasted 2 weeks and were extremely heavy. At age 35 I had another D & C for the same reason. My periods continued to be painful and the bleeding was excessive. At age 38 I had the endometrial ablation done because I had some large fibroids. The ablation removed the lining of the uterus and most of the fibroids but the fibroids had already grown deep into the wall of my uterus so I knew there was a good chance I may have to have a hysterectomy someday. After the ablation I had no bleeding for over a year but gradually the bleeding did come back and was heavy and painful again. I had my hyst (LAVH) 18 months ago at age 41 - my uterus and cervix were removed, I kept both ovaries. My surgery went very well and my recovery was normal. I have had no changes in my hormones and sex is great. Sometimes the ablation alone takes care of things and sometimes a hysterectomy is still done later because problems reoccur.

HysterSisters is an awesome research source. Let us know what you decide to do. Take care.

Sending s
Unread 08-06-2003, 12:19 PM

Hello, I too have terrible periods. The bleeding lasted for 30 days out of 30, with lots of clots and like you I was using pads and tampons and was flooding out about every hour. I went to my doc and started the depo shot, it worked but I didn't like the side effects. In Aug of 2002 I had a balloon ablation. It went just fine and by the day after I felt like myself. I had no periods for ten months, but now they have returned and don't seem to want to leave. It is not as heavy, but really annoying. I just started seeing a new doc who has said a hysterectomy seems to be my next step. Still trying to decide. Good luck to you!! KMC

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register