Upcoming hysterectomy June 8th: Expected recovery time for laparoscopic surgery - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy June 8th: Expected recovery time for laparoscopic surgery Upcoming hysterectomy June 8th: Expected recovery time for laparoscopic surgery

Unread 05-19-2018, 05:05 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy June 8th: Expected recovery time for laparoscopic surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misssimmons315 View Post
My robotic hyst was March 21st. I wasn’t released to go back to work till 4 wks and my first week back I did half days. I went home everyday and took a 3 hr nap. I’m a first grade teacher but I stay at my desk a lot. I was in a lot of pain before hyst and even had trouble walking or sitting. Surgery stopped all that and I felt so much better the next day. But the gas pain was the worst part of it. The other hard part that took awhile was the fatigue. I’m sure it depends on every woman’s different story to dictate how she will recover. I would say just be prepared. I’m almost 8 weeks post op now and if I work myself too hard at school I feel it. The best advice my surgeon and other hystersisters gave me that was most true, I think, is that your small incisions on the outside heal faster and are far less than what’s inside healing that you can’t see. You really want to protect that so that you heal right without scar tissue that can be a problem later. Just take it easy!

I teach too! I am over 8 weeks now. This was my first week back and it was ROUGH. I felt pulls, cramps, and heaviness at times. I had my 2nd post op visit the day before I went back just to make sure, otherwise I'd have been soooo worried because I stand all day and am up and down stairs.

While I'm glad I went back, even though I was TERRIFIED, I am sooo tired this Saturday morning because of the physical strain.

Even if I felt GREAT, I couldn't imagine going back in 2 weeks because of the internal healing process. But, everyone does what they think is best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-19-2018, 05:21 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy June 8th: Expected recovery time for laparoscopic surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liliput View Post
Hello! I am hearing conflicting information regarding recovery times for laparoscopic hysterectomy. My surgeon said two weeks, his receptionist scoffed at that and said 6-8 weeks, all my hysterectomentors ( my term! ) have laughed and said 6-8 at least really 6 months, medical
Sites say 2 weeks. I haven’t yet met in person anyone who had a laparoscopic hyst except my mother who had a long stay in hospital and already went through menopause. Can anyone with either a lap hyst or robotic hyst advise? How long till you could shop? clean walk work? I’m trying to plan my life and care needs! Thank you in advance for any advice you can give!
I think the information "should" be conflicting because everyone is different. That said, there is one thing you can count on - the external stitches heal very quickly. In a week or 2 you will see how fast your skin looks normal where they stitched. Unless you are diabetic or have some other issues, outside healing should be quick.

BUT - the internal healing is a whole other ballgame.

Internal healing depends on sooo many things. Factors like: age, other surgeries, extent of the surgery, what you are removing and cutting, complications, mental state (YEP), physical fitness, genetics/how you usually heal, scar tissue from previous surgeries, length of surgery, underlying ailments, conversion (if the type of surgery changes due to an issue), etc., all have an impact on your personal experience.

Mine was: I had 3 previous c-sections, therefore a LOT of scar tissue. I had a HUGE uterus (850 grams or 10x normal). My surgery lasted twice as long as it should have. I had GINORMOUS fibroids that had to be removed. Due to my huge uterus, he had to make an extra incision in my belly button, where originally it was coming out vaginally. This added to my healing time as I now have an extra and painful scar on my belly button.

I would say that I felt close to "okay" by week 5. The breakdown was something like: weeks 1 & 2: loopy, gassy, pain doing most things. Weeks 3 - 4: Obvious feelings of healing like: cramps, spotting, sharp/shooting pains, itchy incision sites, heaviness, lower back and abdominal pain. Week 5-8: Cramps! Cramps! More Cramsp! All weeks: FATIGUE.

I just returned to work, and feel "okay" but not 100%. Doctor did not clear me at 8 weeks for internal stuff (no sex, or baths, etc). I am cleared for moderate exercise but nothing abdominally/core related. I can do most things. I am still having cramps and back pain, but it's normal according to him. No more spotting or mini-periods (I have my cervix). The "no sex" thing was surprising because I don't have a cuff, but I will obey.

Anyway, you will have your own list of noticings, but that list is pretty general and everyone can relate on some level. I'd say 6-8 weeks is pretty reasonable, even if you heal quickly on the outside and feel fantastic after the first week!

Best wishes!
Unread 05-26-2018, 07:53 PM

Had supracervical laparoscopy, kept ovaries, April 30th, I was fine in a week. Had pain when I woke, and didn’t feel great for three days, probably from the gas as well but very minimal on the incisions. Had to be careful as I carried a 10pound bag up my stairs and remembered I probably shouldn’t do that. I think I everyone is different but it was a quick recovery.
Unread 05-26-2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The other type View Post
Had the robot assisted laparoscopic procedure last Thursday. Was released the same day. My mom has been instrumental in getting me off my butt and rolling: doing the spirometer, walking, gentle stretching. Took me 20 minutes to go up the stairs the day of the surgery, I went down today under 2 min. I still have some discomfort, new pains showing up all the time. Not taking any opiates, only to sleep after my brand new 1AM mandatory bowel movement (seriously, every day 1AM on the dot). I am carefully hopeful that I'll be driving next week.

Everyone is different. Listen to your body. It is a window, not a date set in stone. Listen to your caregivers and do the recommended exercises.
Best of luck!
I'm really hearing that I need to just listen to me, there is no telling what will happen, so hard to predict. I'm usually a wimpy like person, a reed in the wind, but yet I also know I'm also a when-the-going-gets-tough kind of person all the same. Some bizzare tenacious reserve kicks in. At the moment I'm losing weight from the stress, all my pants are falling off, hair's falling out, I'm trying not to freak out, but my body is already telling me: I hate this. But perhaps there will be relief when it's just finally done. I'm really planning for the long recovery, while hoping for smoother ride. I confess, one of my biggest fears is the poop moment! : / I'm not being given any opiates, apparently, just Celebrex and Tylenol! I'll discuss it again during my pre-op just to be sure. Glad you have a super Mom and that things are going well! thanks for replying
Unread 05-26-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissab1 View Post
Had supracervical laparoscopy, kept ovaries, April 30th, I was fine in a week. Had pain when I woke, and didn’t feel great for three days, probably from the gas as well but very minimal on the incisions. Had to be careful as I carried a 10pound bag up my stairs and remembered I probably shouldn’t do that. I think I everyone is different but it was a quick recovery.
Wow, I'm amazed and impressed! I must say hearing stories like yours, even when I know I may not be that person, are hugely reassuring. It just helps me envision the possibility of a good outcome, which is what I really need to do right now. it could happen to me! Keep healing well and thanks for replying!
Unread 05-26-2018, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKLady View Post
I think the information "should" be conflicting because everyone is different. That said, there is one thing you can count on - the external stitches heal very quickly. In a week or 2 you will see how fast your skin looks normal where they stitched. Unless you are diabetic or have some other issues, outside healing should be quick.

BUT - the internal healing is a whole other ballgame.

Internal healing depends on sooo many things. Factors like: age, other surgeries, extent of the surgery, what you are removing and cutting, complications, mental state (YEP), physical fitness, genetics/how you usually heal, scar tissue from previous surgeries, length of surgery, underlying ailments, conversion (if the type of surgery changes due to an issue), etc., all have an impact on your personal experience.

Mine was: I had 3 previous c-sections, therefore a LOT of scar tissue. I had a HUGE uterus (850 grams or 10x normal). My surgery lasted twice as long as it should have. I had GINORMOUS fibroids that had to be removed. Due to my huge uterus, he had to make an extra incision in my belly button, where originally it was coming out vaginally. This added to my healing time as I now have an extra and painful scar on my belly button.

I would say that I felt close to "okay" by week 5. The breakdown was something like: weeks 1 & 2: loopy, gassy, pain doing most things. Weeks 3 - 4: Obvious feelings of healing like: cramps, spotting, sharp/shooting pains, itchy incision sites, heaviness, lower back and abdominal pain. Week 5-8: Cramps! Cramps! More Cramsp! All weeks: FATIGUE.

I just returned to work, and feel "okay" but not 100%. Doctor did not clear me at 8 weeks for internal stuff (no sex, or baths, etc). I am cleared for moderate exercise but nothing abdominally/core related. I can do most things. I am still having cramps and back pain, but it's normal according to him. No more spotting or mini-periods (I have my cervix). The "no sex" thing was surprising because I don't have a cuff, but I will obey.

Anyway, you will have your own list of noticings, but that list is pretty general and everyone can relate on some level. I'd say 6-8 weeks is pretty reasonable, even if you heal quickly on the outside and feel fantastic after the first week!

Best wishes!
Thank you BKlady! I hear what you say about a lot depending on one's history, I have some things about mine which have worried me, I had endometriosis treated in my early 20's, 25 years ago, who knows what's going on there now, if there's scarring and tissue or not. My cervix actually has closed from past surgeries. I can't say my mental state is good : / my body is just saying "enough!" That said, the surgeon I have has a great reputation, and I feel I'm in good hands. For months, nearly a year now, my mind has been like those sports shows where they spend the first pre game hour with two guys just going - oh this team could win bc they had this record, oh yeah says the other guy, that's true, but then they just traded that guy, and that other guys had an injury and then other guys says that's true, but their offence was top notch in that town etc etc and they just keep playing out scenarios of who will win or lose and why but really NO ONE KNOWS.These replies have really helped shut down my inner pre-show banter. It's fascinating how much variance there is, it just goes to show there is so much medicine can't predict with women's health. I will most definitely listen to my body, I have found if I don' t listen it hits back with pain and sad feelings! I wish you continued steady healing, your description of the week play by play and all the weird steps of healing with mystery pain and sensation and fatigue sound more like my usual style when recovering from anything, and actually made me laugh a little for familiarity's sake, if that's fair! Best wishes and thank you for your thoughtful response - this variance of healing is something people should really know about! I wish my doctor/surgeon would have empowered me and said that, instead of just trying to sell me on the magic of wonderful new hysterectomy machines and techniques, however brilliant and improved they may be.
Unread 05-26-2018, 09:04 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy June 8th: Expected recovery time for laparoscopic surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liliput View Post
I'm really hearing that I need to just listen to me, there is no telling what will happen, so hard to predict. I'm usually a wimpy like person, a reed in the wind, but yet I also know I'm also a when-the-going-gets-tough kind of person all the same. Some bizzare tenacious reserve kicks in. At the moment I'm losing weight from the stress, all my pants are falling off, hair's falling out, I'm trying not to freak out, but my body is already telling me: I hate this. But perhaps there will be relief when it's just finally done. I'm really planning for the long recovery, while hoping for smoother ride. I confess, one of my biggest fears is the poop moment! : / I'm not being given any opiates, apparently, just Celebrex and Tylenol! I'll discuss it again during my pre-op just to be sure. Glad you have a super Mom and that things are going well! thanks for replying
Yes, listening to your body is key, but listening to your doctor’s instructions is most important. Many doctors have different instructions depending on your age, medical history and work done during surgery. My weight limit was 15 pounds, but 8-10 seems to be most common. Just because I was able to lift 15 pounds, doesn’t mean anyone else should if their limit is 10. A few ladies in my recovery thread were on the elliptical or treadmill within 3 weeks. I asked my doctor again if I could start and she said, absolutely nothing more than walking on flat ground for 6 weeks. Stop asking I walked all around Hawaii at 4.5 weeks post op and felt great, but when I started on the treadmill at 6 weeks, I was met with quite a bit of pain on my right side and a return of swelly belly, so I was happy she was insistent on waiting.

The pain from surgery wasn’t as bad as I expected, but the recovery was much longer than I anticipated. After the first week or so pain, the pain certainly wasn’t severe, but was always there and made daily activities a lot harder than normal. After about 13 weeks, I stopped feeling any residual pain from surgery no matter what I did. I’m officially 100% recovered and couldn’t be happier with my decision!! No more debilitating periods for this girl

Good luck!!!
Unread 05-26-2018, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misssimmons315 View Post
My robotic hyst was March 21st. I wasn’t released to go back to work till 4 wks and my first week back I did half days. I went home everyday and took a 3 hr nap. I’m a first grade teacher but I stay at my desk a lot. I was in a lot of pain before hyst and even had trouble walking or sitting. Surgery stopped all that and I felt so much better the next day. But the gas pain was the worst part of it. The other hard part that took awhile was the fatigue. I’m sure it depends on every woman’s different story to dictate how she will recover. I would say just be prepared. I’m almost 8 weeks post op now and if I work myself too hard at school I feel it. The best advice my surgeon and other hystersisters gave me that was most true, I think, is that your small incisions on the outside heal faster and are far less than what’s inside healing that you can’t see. You really want to protect that so that you heal right without scar tissue that can be a problem later. Just take it easy!
I can see being a teacher is much more work that office work, and the type of work you are returning to affects recovering as well, my job is similar, very active and kind of mentally/energetically intense...conflict resolution while art making with adults and seniors with mental health barriers! So YES!!! taking it easy is something I'm not only really working to ensure I can do, but also is the silver lining of this whole event! Heal well and thank you for the advice from the experienced other side! I hope I can give good advice when all this is done, it's really really helpful to me now.
Unread 05-26-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh_shenandoah View Post
I will be 12 weeks post op from my total hysterectomy tomorrow. I work an office job and initially thought I would only be out of work for 4 weeks max, ended up going back at 6 1/2 weeks. No way was my body ready any earlier. I really didn’t start feeling more normal until about 10 weeks - not to say that my recovery was especially hard, because it wasn’t, my body would just tell me I needed to slow down. I didn’t even stop spotting until after 7 weeks. I think the cervix removal definitely adds some healing time.
There is no “one size fits all”, just listen to your body and be patient with yourself. Healing and resting is important. Best wishes!!
Thank you! I will be having quite a bit of vault shortening to avoid future bugaboos, so I will really need to be careful around lifting...I am also hearing a lot about the feeling ready part isn't necessarily about pain or restriction, you just don't have it in you yet somehow. I am most certainly planning for more time off that less based on that recommendation, while also hearing I can use that time to take care of me! Hope your healing continues in good ways!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register