What floor of the castle? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What floor of the castle? What floor of the castle?

Unread 01-03-2007, 07:39 PM
What floor of the castle?

When I had my TVH I thought I was going to the surgical floor. I woke up on the maternity floor but in one of the rooms they use for GYN surgery or pregnancy triage when you are dehydrated etc. Most of my docs patients got to the surgical floor but he later explained that he thought I would be more comfortable on maternity. I am a nursing student and will graduate in May and my passion is ob/gyn nursing. I had done clinicals on this floor and intend on working there afterwards. I also worked at this hospital as a lab tech and I know the nurses and the logistics of each floor. I was very glad that he had made this decision when I woke up. The nurses on this floor have much more compassion for your "female" ordeal than regular surgical nurses. I am not bashing them but there is something about the nurses that deal with birth and all of its unexpected outcomes that make them understand if you cry because you can no longer have children or say that you feel like you just had 10 babies in a row. This is my personal opinion and I am biased due to this area being my passion. With that said... I had the most awesome nurse who got me everything I needed and more and didn't mind my specific requests for particular medications (which I don't remember asking for but were the right things that I needed)

My doc did 5 surgeries that day and I think that I was the only one on the maternity floor... Maybe the doc could tailor where you go to your preference if you express your concerns about one place or the other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2007, 03:40 PM

I was told yesterday that I will be on the surgical floor unless they are full, at which point they'll place me on the maternity ward.
Unread 01-04-2007, 04:12 PM

You're not being ridiculous at all! It is something very emotional for some people. In my hospital it was on the same floor. They called it the Family Birthplace. But, I never heard or saw a baby. I think they do it because it's all the same body parts, etc. and the nurses are better at dealing with you than other surgical nurses. If you are concerned, let them know when they register you. Maybe they can make a request to have a room far away from any babies or at least at the end of a hall so you don't hear too many. And keep your door shut. That should help too.
Unread 01-13-2007, 08:31 PM

I was put with the peds patients. My gyn does that because that floor isn't full and you get a private room. It was really quiet. I got order PG rated movies too.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register