Stupid question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Stupid question Stupid question

Unread 07-12-2004, 02:38 PM
Stupid question

I have decided to go ahead with my hysterectomy next monday, I am truly tired of the pain and the constant bleeding so I am scheduled for an abdominal hysterectomy due to all the scar tissue from 4 c-sections and an enlarged uterus.

Now for my stupid question, can they do the surgery if I have my period? I am assuming yes, and I know I should know this or I should have asked the dr, but i have called the dr office so much I don't want to call again. I just wanted some confirmation that it won't stop the surgery if I am still bleeding monday. TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-12-2004, 02:50 PM
Stupid question

Hi listy,

I was bleeding profusley when I had my surgery and I'm sure that is pretty routine thing with hysterectomies. My niece said the same thing happened with her. So, yes I would imagine they will go ahead with your surgery.

Pam
Unread 07-12-2004, 03:09 PM
Stupid question

I was in the same boat. They all assured me that it would not be a problem. Ask the preop nurse if you can insert a tampon that they can remove when you get to the O.R. or if you can wear your underwear and a pad into the O.R.= Most of the time they want the underwear off but I was afraid of leaving a mess on the floor on my way to the OR! They didn't have a problem with my wearing my underwear and a pad into the O.R. as long as they told the O.R. staff. They were even nice enough to wait until I was under anesthesia before taking them off and starting my catheter.

Good luck!

Jean U.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-12-2004, 03:19 PM
Stupid question

Jusst mention it to the prep nurse when you're being handed your gown, etc., to change into - she'll tell you what the surgeon's preference is. Some just have you on the gurney sitting on a bed pad that they will remove/change out later.

They're wearing protective gear because there's going to be some amount of blood when they perform the surgery, anyway. So, most doc's aren't worried about it.

Lemme tell ya, I was smack dab in the midst of mine and it felt like sweet revenge to be evicting Aunt Flo that day!
Unread 07-12-2004, 04:02 PM
Stupid question

I had my hysterectomy during my period. I asked my Dr. if she wanted me to manipulate my period with my BC pills, but she said it wouldn't matter. Don't worry. Just know that when you leave the castle, you will leave Aunt Flo there, along with your many other problems.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!! Remember to take life easy the next 4-6 weeks.
Unread 07-12-2004, 04:13 PM
Stupid question

I just wanted to say yes you can I too will be on my period when I go into surgery but when I come out it will be all over isn't that wonderful!!!!! Another thing that I wanted to say is there is no such thing as a stupid question here we all have alot of questions that need to be answered! So ask away and never feel like you can't ask anything here.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register